AuthorMessage
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Number of posts : 3706
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: SIDELOCKS IN COLD WEATHER ..........   October 19th 2014, 8:13 am

scratch
As I stated before in earlier posts or replies that I'll be hunting this season with my .58 hawken and I needed some info from you side lock guys. Question Question
The temp in IL in Nov can be brutal as winters go. I found that out the hard way last season when I listened to the weather man instead of bringing my heavy coat  Anyway.............
I'm in the blind from dark to dark. When I get back to my room I would take my V2 or MR out of the case and stand it in the corner by the door. I would leave it loaded but without the primer. Never worried about the powder or rust.
Now with the hawken, that barrel is going to sweat big time and maybe for a good time while in the room. How will this effect the powder? Am I going to have to shot the load every night before I leave the woods and how about the rust factor? Whats your thought s and opinions. Maybe shooting the load and cleaning the rifle after it cools down is the answer? I don't know Dunno
Any help gents will be appreciated........

Ray............. :rtup

KEEPEM IN THE " 10 " RING   

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Standing Bear

Male Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2014-01-30

PostSubject: Re: SIDELOCKS IN COLD WEATHER ..........   October 19th 2014, 8:55 am

Clear prime from the pan plug the touch hole and leave it in the truck. 
TC
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: SIDELOCKS IN COLD WEATHER ..........   October 19th 2014, 9:12 am

Thanks Standing Bear but my rifle is a percussion.

Ray

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Standing Bear

Male Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2014-01-30

PostSubject: Re: SIDELOCKS IN COLD WEATHER ..........   October 19th 2014, 9:32 am

Ok.  Take the disposable rock off the thingy :rtup and leave it in the truck.  No condensation. Also lock should b degreased or synthetic lube used to keep from gumming up and slowing/preventing function se as w modern guns.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9511
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: SIDELOCKS IN COLD WEATHER ..........   October 19th 2014, 9:44 am

Personally, I shoot out the load every night. Whether it needs it, or not. It's a habit I got into, and ammo is cheap compared to wounding game from a slow/miss fire.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14334
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: SIDELOCKS IN COLD WEATHER ..........   October 19th 2014, 12:03 pm

No need to shoot it out every night, just a waste of powder and cleaning.

Use this method and you'll be set. During my hunt I had the Hawken loaded for a 5 days AFTER I shot my doe and she went BANG the day we left.
http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com/t813-weatherproofing-your-sidelock

Also remember that you're using a lubed patch will help keep all the moisture and stuff away from the steel.

With the teflon tape around the nipple threads and an ear plug over the nipple with the hammer set down, you'll be set and not have to worry about moisture getting into the powder while its de-capped.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: SIDELOCKS IN COLD WEATHER ..........   October 19th 2014, 12:11 pm

You hunted in warm weather muzzy season.

As I said. Needed, or not. You never know if it's needed until you get a slow fire.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: SIDELOCKS IN COLD WEATHER ..........   October 19th 2014, 12:14 pm

warm during the day Pete, freezing at night.

If he were using a sub that sucks up moisture, I'd be worried. But since its Goex, I am not worried one bit.
Back to top Go down
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: SIDELOCKS IN COLD WEATHER ..........   October 19th 2014, 12:17 pm

BP absorbs moisture. Some think that BH 209 can be left in a gun forever. Maybe it will, but read what Western says about leaving BH in your gun.

We always recommend that you start with a fresh powder charge every day. Although Blackhorn 209 is far less hygroscopic than any other black powder substitutes, barrel “sweating” can put moisture directly in contact with the powder and may affect powder performance. Why take the chance of missing the next mornings great shot?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: SIDELOCKS IN COLD WEATHER ..........   October 19th 2014, 12:19 pm

read my water proofing thread Pete. I know what I am talking about and thats the reason I am recommending what I am.

Of course they want you to start with a fresh charge every day LOL. Its a waste of powder and keeps powder companies in business when you dump it every day.

Once you do my " trick" keep it in a cool dry place line inside of your truck. Thats where our rifles stayed all season long.
Back to top Go down
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: SIDELOCKS IN COLD WEATHER ..........   October 19th 2014, 12:26 pm

I agree if you can keep the gun outside the whole time. Everybody doesn't have that option though. I'm home every night, and I wouldn't dare leave anything in my Jeep with a soft top.

So, for me, and others like me it's best to shoot out the load at night. I won't do that with an inline, because I can just remove the breech plug, and save the load, but sidelocks I shoot out.

The 3rd option is to shoot something the first day of the hunt, and waste no loads. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
View user profile
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: SIDELOCKS IN COLD WEATHER ..........   October 19th 2014, 1:26 pm

Thanks for the replies gents. I see now I have a few ways to go.

Ray.......... :rtup

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 4997
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: SIDELOCKS IN COLD WEATHER ..........   October 19th 2014, 1:28 pm

I don't like leaving a black powder gun loaded overnight but have done it but not in sub-zero temps. I would think that very cold temps would be better than very damp conditions. I don't ever remember hunting with black powder in sub-zero temps.
I have had some hangfires with black powder over the years but it was usually on a fresh load rather than one left in the truck for a day. 

With BH209 I've left the gun loaded for weeks (25 days) and had it fire with no problem.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackpowder

Male Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2014-06-25

PostSubject: Re: SIDELOCKS IN COLD WEATHER ..........   October 19th 2014, 7:57 pm

just my 2 cents worth: i hunt in conditions that vary from 80 to 10 degrees, rain, snow you name it. for 30 years i have always put my loaded guns (flintlocks) in the basement. i have always heated with wood and have my stove in the basement, so its very warm down there. never had any problems at all with guns the going off and going off just like it was a fresh load. to each their own, its what works best for you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: SIDELOCKS IN COLD WEATHER ..........   October 19th 2014, 8:13 pm

My main concern is the moisture that may collect in the barrel when I bring the rifle into the hotel room. I have a jeep wrangler and like Pete, I can't leave anything in the back even though I have a hard top everything is visible that's in the jeep.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and opinions..........

Ray.........

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: SIDELOCKS IN COLD WEATHER ..........   October 19th 2014, 8:37 pm

bring it inside and put it in the closet where it should be cooler.

You can always run a dry patch down the bore too when you get inside to help mop any moisture up. I do believe with the mink oil, you'll be fine as is.
Back to top Go down
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: SIDELOCKS IN COLD WEATHER ..........   October 20th 2014, 6:46 am

Thanks gents for the help. I have a few ways to go depending on how friggin' cold it's going to get.

Ray..........

(My hawken barrel is in Chicago. Maybe today or maybe tomorrow the BIG BROWN will stop by and drop it off) cheers cheers cheers

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: SIDELOCKS IN COLD WEATHER ..........   October 28th 2014, 6:21 pm

Ray, I thought of you and this post yesterday evening and did a test with my own 58.

We had temps drop down into the mid 30's and then high 20's at night.

I loaded up the hawken and took a nice slow 1 1/2 hour hike in the cold and when I got back in, rather than putting the gun by a heat source, I just laid it on the floor where it was cooler ( Under the hotel bed came to mind or even the closet) I just checked it and there was ZERO rust forming in the bore.
Back to top Go down
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: SIDELOCKS IN COLD WEATHER ..........   October 28th 2014, 8:09 pm

Very Happy
Thanks Jonathan. I'll have to try that one for sure. Closet sounds like a winner.

Ray........... :rtup

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 4997
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: SIDELOCKS IN COLD WEATHER ..........   October 28th 2014, 8:37 pm

@hawgslayer wrote:
Very Happy
Closet sounds like a winner.

Just don't leave it there when you head out in the morning. affraid

I have done that. I actually got up the tree and then figured it out. crazy

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: SIDELOCKS IN COLD WEATHER ..........   October 28th 2014, 9:47 pm

HAHAHAA!! I bet that was a gut sinking feeling.
Back to top Go down
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: SIDELOCKS IN COLD WEATHER ..........   October 29th 2014, 6:04 am

:rtup
Bob,
I have to give you a lot of credit for your honesty. "I WOULD BUY A USED CAR FROM YOU" lol!

Ray......... t up

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: SIDELOCKS IN COLD WEATHER ..........   October 29th 2014, 9:03 am

I didn't know rust is what we were talking about? My concern is damp powder.

When loading a PRB we lube the bore. Rust has never been a concern. The part of the bore that isn't lubed by the PRB is where the powder is. Barrels sweat. It could be fine 99 out of 100 times. It's that one time that worries me.

The cost of a load is no big deal to take away the worry.

That's me though. Everybody is free to do it their way.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: SIDELOCKS IN COLD WEATHER ..........   October 29th 2014, 9:13 am

Won't have damp powder with the sealed ball and then putting the ear plug over the nipple. In ll my years of muzzle loading, never have I fired them off every day to reload. That just attracts moisture, especially when you are in the field and have to do a deep cleaning after shooting that load off.
Back to top Go down
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: SIDELOCKS IN COLD WEATHER ..........   October 29th 2014, 9:38 am

I clean when I get home. I load the next day in the field when the barrel has adjusted to the temp.

If you're camping there's no need to shoot the load, because the temp is consistent.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SIDELOCKS IN COLD WEATHER ..........   

Back to top Go down

SIDELOCKS IN COLD WEATHER ..........
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: