Share | 

How do you clean?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
shaw24

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2013-11-25

PostSubject: How do you clean?   Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:45 am

I want to hear you method of cleaning your ML. I have an Optima with a stainless barrel and use BH209. 

I really don't like cleaning and admittedly need to do it more. I kind of neglected my gun last year as it sat in my truck all winter dirty. Luckily there was hardly any rust but I need to give it a good cleaning. I'm trying to get better in that department. 

Typically I just spray the foaming CVA bore cleaner down there and let it soak for 20 min or so and it comes out pretty clean but I want to do it the right way. I do have a BH209 breach plug that I clean and use a torch tip file and drill bit to make sure my hole is cleaned out, so I'm good in that area I think.

I only want to hear how the ppl using BH209 clean, not all the other pellet guys out there since it doesn't really apply to me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9492
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: How do you clean?   Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:18 pm

Use the same solvents you use on your CF guns for the bore. That CVA foam is not made for BH 209.

I use Hoppe's 9 for the bore. Two wet patches, and a few dry patches, and it sparkles. I clean right after I shoot it. Always!

You have the right method for the BP, but you also need to remover the firing pin housing, and clean and lube it.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shaw24

PostSubject: Re: How do you clean?   Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:51 pm

Thanks Muley! What should I use to get the rust out of the smooth part of the end of barrel? Steel wool? 

I've always read to leave the barrel dirty during hunting season with BH209??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: How do you clean?   Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:55 pm

You can try some JB paste for the rust.

Leaving it uncleaned for the hunting season is one thing. That's 9 days for me. Leaving it all winter is another. Personally, I clean my gun everytime I shoot it.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shaw24

PostSubject: Re: How do you clean?   Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:25 pm

Your hunting season is 9 days? That sucks. 

What's best for cleaning the firing pin housing? Hoppes 9? I have some Ballitstol too but I'm not really sure what is supposed to be used for what. Obviously cleaning is not my forte lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14398
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: How do you clean?   Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:53 pm

@shaw24 wrote:
I want to hear you method of cleaning your ML. I have an Optima with a stainless barrel and use BH209. 

I really don't like cleaning and admittedly need to do it more. I kind of neglected my gun last year as it sat in my truck all winter dirty. Luckily there was hardly any rust but I need to give it a good cleaning. I'm trying to get better in that department. 

Typically I just spray the foaming CVA bore cleaner down there and let it soak for 20 min or so and it comes out pretty clean but I want to do it the right way. I do have a BH209 breach plug that I clean and use a torch tip file and drill bit to make sure my hole is cleaned out, so I'm good in that area I think.

I only want to hear how the ppl using BH209 clean, not all the other pellet guys out there since it doesn't really apply to me.

BH209 cleaner for me is Birchwood Casey 2 in 1 bore scrubber in the aerosol can. Lasts forever and doesnt require a whole lot for clean up. Check out out video section in the Muzzleloading area, I have an entire cleaning video for BH209.

2 in 1 cleans and protects so there is really no need to follow up with an oil for protection.

If you want some REALLY good SS protection for outside of the barrel RIG + P is awesome. Just saturate a cotton ball and gently wipe it into the SS barrel and it will protect it from rust in foul weather.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5096
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: How do you clean?   Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:46 pm

"Your hunting season is 9 days? That sucks."

I'll say it does. Ours starts the middle of Sept. and goes to the beginning of March. All year if you hunt pigs.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: How do you clean?   Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:49 pm

9 days for elk. 9 days for mule deer. 30 days for bear. All year for coyotes. Plus, more.

I was just giving an example of how long a gun would go without cleaning. Although it wouldn't be 9 days for me. I clean when it's shot even once.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Huntin_Dawg1215

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: How do you clean?   Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:43 pm

I am with Muley on the cleaning, If and when I shoot I clean them right away.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Number of posts : 3704
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: How do you clean?   Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:29 am

shaw24,
I have let my SS V2, my black barrel V2 and my MR dirty at different times thru out the hunting season. I use Blackhorn and never had a problem cleaning or any other problem for that matter.
As far as cleaning goes, I use HOPPE'S #9 and it works great. I use plastic and a wire brush and 2 or 2.5" patches.
I have left my rifle dirty and loaded, without the primer. I load it up on opening morning but the rifle is dirty from the week end before at the range. From the weekend before Thanksgiving until the middle of Jan for the late winter hunt its dirty.
You should have no trouble IF you use Black horn 209.

Ray.......... t up  GOOD LUCK HUNTIN' Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

KEEPEM IN THE " 10 " RING   

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shaw24

PostSubject: Re: How do you clean?   Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:30 am

Well since I was a dumbass and didn't clean all year i'm paying the price...there are some rust spots (I'm assuming it's rust, can't really tell) on the inside of the barrel about halfway down. I worked by brush on it quite a bit and used hoppes and some TC bore cleaner I had and it looks a lot better but still there. How do I get rid of this? Do I need to use some kind of abrasive cleaner? 

I have learned my lesson that's for sure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shaw24

PostSubject: Re: How do you clean?   Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:34 am

@hawgslayer wrote:
shaw24,
I have let my SS V2, my black barrel V2 and my MR dirty at different times thru out the hunting season. I use Blackhorn and never had a problem cleaning or any other problem for that matter.
As far as cleaning goes, I use HOPPE'S #9 and it works great. I use plastic and a wire brush and 2 or 2.5" patches.
I have left my rifle dirty and loaded, without the primer. I load it up on opening morning but the rifle is dirty from the week end before at the range. From the weekend before Thanksgiving until the middle of Jan for the late winter hunt its dirty.
You should have no trouble IF you use Black horn 209.

Ray.......... t up  GOOD LUCK HUNTIN' Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Thanks Hawg! I leave mine dirty through the season but from now on as soon as the season is over, it's getting a good cleaning.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: How do you clean?   Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:59 am

Read the 4th post.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14398
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: How do you clean?   Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:00 pm

jb bore paste or better, remington 40x bore cleaner. Its slightly abrasive and should help knock any rust out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do you clean?   

Back to top Go down

How do you clean?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: