Share | 

Gunsmith Help?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
nuprofessor

Male Number of posts : 292
Registration date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Gunsmith Help?   November 26th 2014, 4:34 am

I have a problem with one of my rifles. It is a sporterized bolt action 6.5mm Arisaka. When it was sporterized they removed the front sight and ground down the back dovetail. Now I have to use a scope for accuracy.
That is where the problem begins. The Arisaka safety is on the back of the bolt. You push it in with the palm of your hand and twist clockwise to engage. With a scope I do not have enough space to press and engage the safety.
Two questions: 1). Is it possible to weld / braze an extension (like a half circle) out from the safety (sticking out like a key head) so I can push in then turn with the extension to engage? 2). If so, do you know of someone who can do that work?
I have tried to ask the question locally and all I get is a massive attitude about 'buying / fixing jap stuff'.

Any help / info would be appreciated. Thanks. If you would prefer, you can send me a PM.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14310
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Gunsmith Help?   November 26th 2014, 11:25 am

same deal with a mosin agant, don't close the bolt all the way or load a round until you are ready to fire is the best thing to do IMO.

I have seen extended safeties like you just were asking about but i am not sure how well they've held up over time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com

Gunsmith Help?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Modern Shooting :: Modern Shooters-
Jump to: