Share | 

rifle rest

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
swampratt

Number of posts : 347
Registration date : 2008-09-09

PostSubject: rifle rest   January 19th 2010, 10:15 am

everyone needs a good steady rest to put the bullet on target..while working up the perfect load.

you need consistancy ...i seen a video i would like to share...I have not seen a rest like this..but would like to make one...any and all input would be nice...

youtube link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG_sIKZ4lRc
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 3208
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: rifle rest   January 19th 2010, 1:33 pm

Here's my take on that rest.

Like you said swampratt, the key is consistency. It's difficult to see in the vid, but it looks like the 300 meter shooter is not making any(or very little) shoulder-to-stock contact. So long as the caliber permits, most bench shooters use this style of free recoil. His set-up is specialized in that the gun stock and recoil is parallel to the table top. By doing so he has established an extremely consistent form with that particular rifle.

Some benchers will argue(and I agree) that it's those "other" subtle, mili-second, man-induced gun vibrations or movements, between the firing pin and bullet exit, that's what most important in shooting form. I have my own style which I posted earlier.

http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com/traditional-muzzleloading-rifles-and-pistols-f11/bench-shooting-t513.htm

If you are looking to dedicate a particular rifle to bench conditions, then go with that kind of rifle rest. Since my bench work is intended solely to condition me for hunting, I prefer to concentrate on maintaining a firm, but consistent shoulder-to-stock pressure that I would instinctively do when hunting. That said, I will select a more typical gun rest that allows me to do just that will all my rifles.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
roper

Male Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2009-12-17

PostSubject: Re: rifle rest   January 19th 2010, 7:18 pm

Last year at the range there was a fine old gentlemen with a very nice M1 Garand. That rifle has a special place in my heart as that is what I trained with and learned the manual of arms with in basic training back in '72. We talked a little and he let me squeeze off a few rounds for old times sake. He had that rifle in a bench vice, shooting military grade ammo, and zero'ed with a peep site at 200 yards. It was shooting the black out of a 2 inch bulls eye. You could have pulled the trigger with a string and hit the same spot and that rifle never budged. He had this setup because he couldn't take the recoil of a .30-06 anymore, even with a 9 pound semi-auto. That's great for zero'ing the gun, but he wasn't learning or practicing marksmanship, which was not his intent anyway. I agree with Marty, sighting in is one thing but you also need to practice a hunting situation. I put my left hand on the forearm and use my gear bag as a rest and hold tight to my shoulder. I manage to shoot deer from a blind in a similar setup only a log is my rest. I practice my breathing (or lack there of) and squeezing the trigger so slowy it surprises me when the gun fires. The only thing I can't practice is shooting with my heart racing at 200 bpm. Just talking about it makes me want to go the the range again!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
swampratt

PostSubject: Re: rifle rest   January 19th 2010, 8:00 pm

Yes i agree you can't simulate hunting conditions ,,those type of situations need to be learned and getting to the woods is what it will take...

the rest is for working up a load that your weapon will shoot well.

I am usually sitting in a tree on a branch..as i do not use deer stands or blinds. i just find a good spot and sit behind some cover or climb a tree and nestle in...

wind here is always blowing and swaying the trees....making shots while leaned over under a branch...you better hope your gun hits where you point it .....

Roper i know about the finger thing..i think my trigger finger has a brain of it's own.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
roper

Male Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2009-12-17

PostSubject: Re: rifle rest   January 19th 2010, 8:11 pm

We don't us blinds per se, but try to find a dead fall or pile if brush to hunker down in. We have a couple that have been particulary productive over the years. My fav is where I sit on one log and can use the fork in front of me as a rest. I killed 2 bucks with the ML there this year.

It is typically cold and windy here as well. There was at least one weekend I didn't hunt becuase of -15 and 20-30 mph winds. That takes the fun out of it for sure. I probably should, but don't practice shooting while shivering. LOL
Back to top Go down
View user profile
swampratt

PostSubject: Re: rifle rest   January 20th 2010, 7:45 am

I have some realatives in cameron MO. not too far from iowa...and you arent kidding it does get a tad chilly there..
The deer seem to be bigger due to all the farmland....
Most of my hunting is around acorns...little smaller deer......i will try to get out more this year.....
everyone here needs to follow...spend more time in the woods with your children if ya got 'em
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: rifle rest   

Back to top Go down

rifle rest
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Modern Shooting :: Modern Shooters-
Jump to: