talking about a simple sight for a cva hawken

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
corey012778

Male Number of posts : 2309
Registration date : 2008-05-20

PostSubject: talking about a simple sight for a cva hawken   Mon 22 Dec - 23:01

when I say simple I mean simple.

a corner bracket, mounted by the tang screw. I need a longer screw.

photo CE4A6505-6630-4B4F-8FBD-1BE3AA458E9E_zpslms9n7fu.jpg

bad monkey  :wow
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14399
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: talking about a simple sight for a cva hawken   Tue 23 Dec - 0:03

Thats not a bad idea, a perfect ghost ring. The front site height would be a bit of a pain to figure out, but very doable.

Ebay has a guys that sells the tang screws in different lengths.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
corey012778

PostSubject: Re: talking about a simple sight for a cva hawken   Tue 23 Dec - 16:29

it lines up just right with the sights I have on that gun. I ordered an blank tang bolt from tow as well as  long tang screw. the tang screw I found was in 10-32, so worst case retap the trigger plate in 10-24 or 10-32.

have a die for .5m which is what I need. 10-24 is very close to that which I do have a die for as well.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thunder53
FML's
FML's

Number of posts : 506
Registration date : 2011-12-05

PostSubject: Re: talking about a simple sight for a cva hawken   Tue 23 Dec - 17:57

Is this what it's going to look like when it's done? affraid 

corey012778

PostSubject: Re: talking about a simple sight for a cva hawken   Tue 23 Dec - 20:28

hope not lol

Back to top Go down
View user profile
stude 283

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: talking about a simple sight for a cva hawken   Wed 24 Dec - 11:16

If you can drill a hole and tap,why not tap tang for a hardware store thumb screw with a  hole drilled thru. Add a locknut and its adjustable for the vertical.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5118
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: talking about a simple sight for a cva hawken   Wed 24 Dec - 11:55

@stude 283 wrote:
If you can drill a hole and tap,why not tap tang for a hardware store thumb screw with a  hole drilled thru. Add a locknut and its adjustable for the vertical.

Excellent idea. :tup2

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
corey012778

PostSubject: Re: talking about a simple sight for a cva hawken   Wed 24 Dec - 12:47

have not found any long enough to make to the trigger plate in the thread size. I also looked in to eye bolts. same there. not much luck for some reason.

right now still on the planning and concept stage.

could always take a threaded rod and cut to length, drill and mount an nut.

see if the tang bolts  I order will be long enough, worst case on those extra parts, not really a bad thing

Back to top Go down
View user profile
corey012778

PostSubject: Re: talking about a simple sight for a cva hawken   Wed 24 Dec - 14:02

think  I got it. found an long screw (2 1/2 maybe 3 inch) that was from something I was doing around the house. that was done and fix so I had an extra. cut a little off was not enough to work. so I added an rubber washer.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
stude 283

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: talking about a simple sight for a cva hawken   Wed 24 Dec - 23:15

Get a threaded rod connector (or even several for more strength and adjustability) near the threaded rod at hardware. They are usually available in all machine screw sizes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
corey012778

PostSubject: Re: talking about a simple sight for a cva hawken   Thu 25 Dec - 0:00

locking nut to lock down the tang, locking washer rod connector, second locking washer, sight, locking washers.

would not work well with the corner bracket set up, would block the line of sight. or will it scratch

I do have a couple m16/a2 apertures that I picked up pretty cheap. that will some what work with. put me off to the side about a little.

if I could every find the page I ran into that has a diagram of using the rear sight in line with the peep I would post that.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5118
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: talking about a simple sight for a cva hawken   Thu 25 Dec - 12:00

Threaded rod of proper size cut 2" longer than needed length; beat one end flat with hammer and anvil; shape & smooth, and drill a hole of predetermined diameter. Should take about an hour from beginning to end.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: talking about a simple sight for a cva hawken   

Back to top Go down

talking about a simple sight for a cva hawken
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: