Share | 

What to do?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
stubborn finn

Male Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2014-12-26

PostSubject: What to do?   December 27th 2014, 11:27 am

Hello all, This is my first post and hope it will not be to long. After 6 years carrying my TC Encore on

day long still hunting trips my 60 yr. old body needs a lighter gun. I have a few ?s. 
  1-  after reading numerous posts and reviews I believe the Accura MR will suit my needs,but I'm torn between the stainless and the nitride finish. 
  2- Should I wait to see what 2015 brings? possibly thumbhole stock for the MR,or nitride finished receiver?
  3-Is the receiver on the stainless MR stainless or alloy?
  4- with the nitride is the bore tighter than the stainless? I bent a few rods on the encore with a tight bore.
  5- Also are the sling swivels on the black stainless MR metal ? Not a fan of plastic.
Looking forward to all suggestions as this is the best muzzeloading sight I have come across as far as accurate info and non bashing goes.
  Thanks, Dale
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14398
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: What to do?   December 27th 2014, 11:34 am

For me, I prefer stainless.

2015 isn't far off, but most likely the new rifles will not come out until summer/early fall when hunting season starts to roll around for most of us.

Nitrite or SS, the frame will always be alloy to keep weight down. Only the Apex/Scout rifles will use SS frames due to them being able to use centerfire barrels. The alloy would not hold up to the punishment.

SS/Nitrite, the bores all felt the same to me. The Nitrite actually felt dirty due to the finish on the inside and took many more patches to clean out after shooting. This is one reason I am not 100% standing behind the Nitrite. Is it a huge deal? No, but I've never had problems with my bore rusting when I clean my rifles.

Metal studs on the MR/apex.

Welcome to the forum Dale! I hope we can help you along on your new journey! We always try to keep the nasty stuff out of the forums. I try to treat everyone as family and keep the place friendly and fun. It takes a group of us to do that though!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9492
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: What to do?   December 27th 2014, 11:53 am

I'd get the SS MR.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokin' Joe
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1647
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: What to do?   December 27th 2014, 12:23 pm

I have the original CVA Accura MR with the greenish coating.  I love the rifle, although if I was to purchase another one, I would definitely go with the stainless.  You know the old say: Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder".  It's just "my" personal preference but the stainless is much more pleasing to look at than the riles with the applied coatings.

So you want to be a gun maker....do you like filing?  >:^)

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
stubborn finn

PostSubject: Re: What to do?   December 27th 2014, 5:44 pm

Thank you for the quick replies. I was sort of leaning toward the black stainless. Now for the task of finding one.
 I have seen Eds gunshop and Carlos mentioned but living in Michigan there are restrictions on shipping and I really don't know what has to be done to get one shipped here. Will have to check on this.
  Also I will be putting a leupold 3x9x40 VX2 on it. My 32 year scope is at Leupold now to correct yellowing lenses and a frozen turret. It has been flawless up until this year.
  Any other advice is welcome.
      Dale
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GregK

Male Number of posts : 3056
Registration date : 2012-01-22

PostSubject: Re: What to do?   December 27th 2014, 6:16 pm

Hello & welcome to the forum. I am in Michigan as well & there are NO restrictions on shipping muzzleloaders between individuals or shop to individual. 

Buy the SS or the black Accura MR & you will be tickled pink. Buy it from Carlos at Ed's 910-692-7936. If you want to shoot BH209 powder tell him & he will set it up for you. He will also sell you the scope & recommend a DNZ mount (which I & many others will second), he will mount the scope & sight it in for you as well. No one else will do all of this for you. His prices are the best & his service is second to none!

The standard MR (before Nitride)has a tight bore that measures right at .500

The Limited edition MR stainless models that dlethcoe & I both have are .501

In any case buy the one that you like the looks of the best & you will have no problems, Greg

McRem 40cal SML

LEUPOLD 4-12X40 VX-R 30mm, CDS, FIRE DOT
CEB 40/240, 76gr IMR 4895
2600 ft/s

CVA APEX .358 SML & .45 ML
LUEPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R CDS, FIRE DOT, WIND PLEX

Knight Mountainer LTD
45cal / 1-20 twist
LEUPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R 30mm WIND PLEX CDS FIREDOT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dlethcoe

Male Number of posts : 688
Registration date : 2012-02-19

PostSubject: Re: What to do?   December 27th 2014, 6:44 pm

X2 on what GregK said, 
I have 2 of them with the SS, 1 with the black and the other with camo the limited edition one, Both have the DNZ mounts and both have the Leupold 4-12x40 VX-R 30MM, CDS, FIRE DOT.Both were Set up by Carlos

Dave
Back to top Go down
View user profile
smong2000

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2014-02-22

PostSubject: Re: What to do?   December 28th 2014, 9:36 am

I have an Accura MR in black and SS and love it.  Bought mine locally and set it up myself but would recommend going through the 'Carlos' route if you want it done right the 1st time.  If you are a stalker or tracker and hunt cold weather my advice is to handle a thumb hole stock before buying one.  I didn't like it for carrying at all although it felt great on the bench - just felt awkward to me and imagined that it would be worse with heavy gloves.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alpha8D

Male Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2014-11-12

PostSubject: Re: What to do?   December 28th 2014, 9:52 am

Hello
Dale,
Welcome to the forum, I'm also a newbie to the forum though I've been muzzle loading since the 1970's.
I think you'll enjoy the forum, I do.
I bought an  Accura ss MR in early Nov. and love it. Extremely accurate and with BH209 vast improvement over the older guns IMO.
Jim
PS, My son lives in Houghton. Those hills around your neck of the woods look like they'd be a neat place to hunt, always one more to creep up and peek over.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
stubborn finn

PostSubject: Re: What to do?   December 28th 2014, 10:36 am

Well, judging from the advice I believe I am settled on the black stainless MR.
smong2000-I got to shoulder an Optima thumbhole at Walmart and agree with you. With the way I carry my gun it would be uncomfortable. Also looked at the nitride MR and did not like it. Our season is in Dec. and temps can vary from +32 to-20 F. I'm a stalker and my day begins at daylight and ends at dark so lightweight is a priority. My 60 year old body cannot handle heavy guns anymore that is why I'm giving up the Encore.
 Alpha- No shortage of hills here and I have hunted most of them.
 Greg and dlethcoe- hankyou both,I have read a lot of your posts and am learning a lot about muzzys.
  FG- Thank you for the info also.
    A great Thank you for the warm welcome. Dale
 I will keep you posted on my progress with the new purchase.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9492
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: What to do?   December 28th 2014, 11:19 am

Too bad they don't make a blued MR with a wood stock for those of us who like the old look.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
anaconda44

Male Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2010-04-24

PostSubject: Re: What to do?   December 28th 2014, 5:43 pm

Muley wrote:
Too bad they don't make a blued MR with a wood stock for those of us who like the old look.

yea me to wood looks better and isn't as cold as the plastic stocks when hunting
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What to do?   

Back to top Go down

What to do?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: