View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Thunder53
FML's
FML's

Number of posts : 506
Registration date : 2011-12-05

PostSubject: breechplug lifespan   January 2nd 2015, 3:43 pm

As I now have two SML muzzleloaders (one TC ProHunter, one CVA Apex) I am well schooled in the need to frequently replace vent liners or convert to the tungsten/carbide bushing to extend the firing life.

Which brings me to the question:

While using the Western Powders BH209 breechplugs in my "regular" CVA MLers, and using BH209, what can I expect for a lifespan of the breechplug before the flashhole/firehole starts to deteriorate due to firing and cleaning and I need to replace with a new one?

(I have also just submitted that question directly to WP as well and will post their answer here when I get one)

Thanks,

Thunder53

FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14398
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: breechplug lifespan   January 2nd 2015, 4:31 pm

You'll hear some real crazy stuff on other forums like, oh mine went bad after 30 shots! Accuracy was all over the place. Gotta laugh at that.

To be honest, i rarely ever clean the actual flash HOLE. My main concern is the flash channel. I feel these guys going through plugs left and right are actually removing material from the flash hole when they clean it with a rough bit.

As for how often do I change them. Im still running my original BH209 plugs I bought years ago and you know how much shooting I have put through those rifles. I will replace them once I notice they are much larger than originally or when my accuracy falls off.

Smokeless however will be a lot more sensitive and since I do not have experience with that topic, I will leave it up to someone who knows the answer!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
a1smokepole

Male Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2011-07-08

PostSubject: Re: breechplug lifespan   January 3rd 2015, 12:16 pm

I'm with FG on the cleaning the flame channel only and not the flash hole . you can check the size of the flash hole this is all I do.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Number of posts : 3704
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: breechplug lifespan   January 3rd 2015, 12:39 pm

:rtup

I'm still using the same one's I got when I got my V2 and my Mountain Rifle years ago. I never gave much thought about it ever wearing out. Shot hundreds of Powder Pelts, Hornady's, Barnes, PT GOLD'S and Parker Ballistic Extreme's. Never had a problem.
I do clean it thoroughly after every 7 th or 8th shot. You have to keep it clear of carbon with Black horn.

Ray................ t up

KEEPEM IN THE " 10 " RING   

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Al-53

Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2014-12-09

PostSubject: Re: breechplug lifespan   January 3rd 2015, 12:54 pm

so your saying just clean the carbon out of the flame channel with the drill...and not run any thing thru the flash hole...or do i have it reversed....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GregK

Male Number of posts : 3056
Registration date : 2012-01-22

PostSubject: Re: breechplug lifespan   January 3rd 2015, 1:00 pm

I've never been able to tell that I've worn out a BH209 plug & I have burned a LOT of that stuff! Just watch for your groups to open or get inconsistent & then replace it. I clean mine regularly & yes even at the range when I'm shooting a lot. Keep the flash channel clean & inspect the hole. If it needs to be cleaned then do it, but CAREFULLY! Try not to remove any material from that hole as you clean it & always keep a new BP on hand & ready to go.

As for the SML, I believe that Carlos told me about 60 shots. I'm not there yet, If you want to know for sure, he can tell you. Hope this helps, Greg

McRem 40cal SML

LEUPOLD 4-12X40 VX-R 30mm, CDS, FIRE DOT
CEB 40/240, 76gr IMR 4895
2600 ft/s

CVA APEX .358 SML & .45 ML
LUEPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R CDS, FIRE DOT, WIND PLEX

Knight Mountainer LTD
45cal / 1-20 twist
LEUPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R 30mm WIND PLEX CDS FIREDOT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thunder53
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: breechplug lifespan   January 3rd 2015, 2:32 pm

@GregK wrote:
I've never been able to tell that I've worn out a BH209 plug & I have burned a LOT of that stuff! Just watch for your groups to open or get inconsistent & then replace it. I clean mine regularly & yes even at the range when I'm shooting a lot. Keep the flash channel clean & inspect the hole. If it needs to be cleaned then do it, but CAREFULLY! Try not to remove any material from that hole as you clean it & always keep a new BP on hand & ready to go.

As for the SML, I believe that Carlos told me about 60 shots. I'm not there yet, If you want to know for sure, he can tell you. Hope this helps, Greg

Greg,

On the Apex SML I am just putting together I am having one of the "tungsten/carbide" bushing conversions done.

In fact, I just sent it off in the mail this morning.

Hopefully that will get me 100's of shots instead of 50-60 out of a vent liner.

I'm not having any issues with my WP BH209 breechplug, but got to thinking about it with the SML.

I bought an "extra" WP BP when I got my first one, just in case I ever needed one, so I'm good.

dlethcoe

Male Number of posts : 688
Registration date : 2012-02-19

PostSubject: Re: breechplug lifespan   January 3rd 2015, 3:27 pm

I have replaced them from being dropped when showing them to someone, but not from wearing it out.

Dave
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GregK

Male Number of posts : 3056
Registration date : 2012-01-22

PostSubject: Re: breechplug lifespan   January 3rd 2015, 3:32 pm

@Thunder53 wrote:
@GregK wrote:

Greg,

On the Apex SML I am just putting together I am having one of the "tungsten/carbide" bushing conversions done.

I'm not having any issues with my WP BH209 breechplug, but got to thinking about it with the SML.

I bought an "extra" WP BP when I got my first one, just in case I ever needed one, so I'm good.
It will be interesting to see what your system does. Especially smokeless, but I don't see why BH209 should cause anymore wear on a SML breech plug than on a regular WP plug. I haven't shot BH in my SML......I bought an MR from Carlos for that Smile

McRem 40cal SML

LEUPOLD 4-12X40 VX-R 30mm, CDS, FIRE DOT
CEB 40/240, 76gr IMR 4895
2600 ft/s

CVA APEX .358 SML & .45 ML
LUEPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R CDS, FIRE DOT, WIND PLEX

Knight Mountainer LTD
45cal / 1-20 twist
LEUPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R 30mm WIND PLEX CDS FIREDOT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cvilorio
FML's
FML's

Number of posts : 1572
Registration date : 2010-03-12

PostSubject: Re: breechplug lifespan   January 3rd 2015, 5:21 pm

@GregK wrote:
@Thunder53 wrote:
@GregK wrote:

Greg,

It will be interesting to see what your system does. Especially smokeless, but I don't see why BH209 should cause anymore wear on a SML breech plug than on a regular WP plug. I haven't shot BH in my SML......I bought an MR from Carlos for that Smile
Greg and Thunder I have all my SML set with the carbide bushing inserts in them ans as of today specially wiht the 40 cal. I have yet to replace the bushing and I have over 200 shot thru them or more. So you will not have to replace the bushing in your Thunder for along time.
Carlos
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thunder53
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: breechplug lifespan   January 7th 2015, 9:01 am

Similar to the answers you guys have posted, here is Western Powders response:

We haven't hit that point with our breech plugs here.  They last a very long time.  With reasonable maintenance, they will last many hundreds of rounds.

PostSubject: Re: breechplug lifespan   January 7th 2015, 5:10 pm

I've read thousands and thousands of threads and replies on MLs. I have never read a thread or post where a ML owner stated his breechplug broke.....  or cracked.... or suddenly created dangerous blowback, while at the range or hunting.

Only real mentions of faulty plugs are those that are really aged and have developed an enlarged flashhole that will make a tack driving rifle into one that doesn't hit the target paper.
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 3258
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: breechplug lifespan   January 9th 2015, 2:33 pm

I always maintain my breech plug on the range by keeping the flash channel clear with a drill bit.  I will poke an undersized diameter, steel (non-wound) guitar string in the flask hole every now and then and it works great.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: breechplug lifespan   

Back to top Go down

breechplug lifespan
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: