HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

How much pittiing before accuracy is affected

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Alpha8D

Male Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2014-11-12

PostSubject: How much pittiing before accuracy is affected   January 5th 2015, 5:57 am

Another way to put the question is "how much good rifling behind the muzzle is needed for good accuracy? "
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5118
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: How much pittiing before accuracy is affected   January 5th 2015, 9:39 am

I don't know but I bought an abused .45 that has such a bad bore that I thought it was a smoothbore at first. It shoots PRBs great but it shoots conicals in a shotgun pattern. They are scattered all over the place.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
dbowling

Male Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2014-01-22

PostSubject: Re: How much pittiing before accuracy is affected   January 5th 2015, 10:05 am

Ive got a old Knight LK-93 I bought that the whole inside of the barrel was full of fuzzy rust/pitting,took me about 8-10 hrs of soaking,bore brushing, scrubbing and polishing to even get to see the rifling and its still a pitted mess but will shoot 3 300 gr. XTP`s into a inch at 60 yds all day, its just a pain in the rear to load after 3 shots and a bigger pain to keep clean as once they get that pitted they seem to continually rust no matter what you do...every 3-4 weeks I wipe the bore out and will still get rust on the patch..but for a hunting gun your not usually going to shoot more then 2 shots anyway, preferably just 1.
Some guns will just have bad pitting in the 1st 5-6 in. of barrel for some reason, you can cut this off recrown the barrel and have a nice compact good shooting rifle.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
smong2000

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2014-02-22

PostSubject: Re: How much pittiing before accuracy is affected   January 5th 2015, 11:12 am

Like Dbowling, I had a project gun that had so much rust and pitting the entire length of the barrel that I could hardly make out the rifling.  It still shot 1-2 inches at 100 but was impossible to get cleaned and loaded very hard.  I didn't want to mess with it and TC replaced it for me.  It was Triumph with Weathershield and rusted from day 1 no matter how well it was cleaned according to the original owner.  They  didn't  acknowledge that there was a problem with the rifle but didn't charge me either.  So I guess the pitting doesn't have too much effect on accuracy but is a pia for other reasons.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14399
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: How much pittiing before accuracy is affected   January 5th 2015, 2:12 pm

same here with Smong. Crazy how they can still shoot with torn up patches LOL.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com

PostSubject: Re: How much pittiing before accuracy is affected   January 5th 2015, 5:37 pm

@dbowling wrote:
Ive got a old Knight LK-93 I bought that the whole inside of the barrel was full of fuzzy rust/pitting,took me about 8-10 hrs of soaking,bore brushing, scrubbing and polishing to even get to see the rifling and its still a pitted mess but will shoot 3 300 gr. XTP`s into a inch at 60 yds all day, its just a pain in the rear to load after 3 shots and a bigger pain to keep clean as once they get that pitted they seem to continually rust no matter what you do...every 3-4 weeks I wipe the bore out and will still get rust on the patch..but for a hunting gun your not usually going to shoot more then 2 shots anyway, preferably just 1.
Some guns will just have bad pitting in the 1st 5-6 in. of barrel for some reason, you can cut this off recrown the barrel and have a nice compact good shooting rifle.

Get some Kano AeroKroil for the bore. Your continual rust will stop. Just remember that it is not a lubricant in such a manner, that you can trust it as a rust inhibitor long-term. For long storage, a good gun grease like RIG or Tetra should work.
Back to top Go down
dbowling

Male Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2014-01-22

PostSubject: Re: How much pittiing before accuracy is affected   January 5th 2015, 8:01 pm

Actually kroil is what I use on my rusty bores, it hasnt seemed to totally stop them from rusting...I can always get some rust from the 2 that were severly rusted...the Renegade is at Bobby Hoyts being rebored to .54 cal so that will solve its rusting problem.. the one knight I just cut about 5.5 in. off the barrel and got rid of most of the bad pitting.

Last edited by dbowling on January 6th 2015, 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5118
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: How much pittiing before accuracy is affected   January 5th 2015, 8:03 pm

They advertise a Kroil with silicone. Would that stop the rust better?

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How much pittiing before accuracy is affected   

Back to top Go down

How much pittiing before accuracy is affected
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: