Share | 

The Big and The Small

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hanshi

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2015-01-21

PostSubject: The Big and The Small   January 22nd 2015, 1:17 pm

In the process of whittling down my firearms safe, the last two acquisitions (rifles) over the past few years pretty much bracket the hunting I like to do.  For me there are available two big game animals: whitetail deer and black bear.  I haven't had the opportunity to hunt elk here, but I class them (as the game dept. does) with the whitetail.  

The other category is small game/varmints.  King of them all is the squirrel.  Turkeys can be easily taken with the same small game firepower.  I've let more good guns go than I can remember but there are two or three that will always be with me; this is because they cover the complete range of any hunting/shooting I'll ever do.

A nice, lightweight .32 Tn poorboy with a Rice swamped barrel; this is the answer to all small game and varmints.

A .50 early Lancaster modified to my "little guy" dimensions including a shortened lop.  This will handle anything larger.

Standing in as backup is this .45 late Lancaster; my go to rifle for many years.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.martialartsusa.com
billnpatti

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2013-08-12

PostSubject: Re: The Big and The Small   January 22nd 2015, 1:56 pm

If you were whittling down to the minimum for your hunting, you could go to only two rifles, a .32 and a .54.  If it were me, I'd have to have a .62 smoothbore, too.  Even though my personal preference is for a .54 rather than a .50, the .50 will surely get the job done.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Randy Johnson

Number of posts : 152
Registration date : 2014-03-17

PostSubject: Re: The Big and The Small   January 22nd 2015, 2:40 pm

As more of a shooter than a hunter, ain't no way I could get it down to two.

For most match shooting, both paper and gongs, it's an English influenced mid-18th century styled .50 with swamped barrel and simple single trigger built by Ken Moors. This would also be the rifle I'd take if I was hunting deer.  
For playing and plinking, it is a .36 flint TVA southern rifle. There is also an Ohio style rifle that I haven't really played with enough yet to be sure about. Also .36, and percussion, it has a short pull and was bought with the idea of being a loaner for some wanting to try the game but not ready for a flintlock.
I have two North Star West smoothbores, and while I plan on keeping both of them, my favorite is the officer's fusil. Everybody needs at least one flint smoothbore.
Then there are the sentimental pieces.
A Tingle half-stock that was bought and never shot, sold, and bought again. The second time around it has seen some use.
Finally, there is a "Hawken" built by an early mentor who killed himself. There is enough wood where there shouldn't be to stock another rifle, and the inletting will never win any awards. And it's a cap gun. But Fuzzy built it, and looks aside, he used some good parts. Roller lock and triggers, and a Large barrel. I haven't shot it in years, and may not shoot it for years to come. But unless it gets stolen, I will own it the rest of life.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hanshi

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2015-01-21

PostSubject: Re: The Big and The Small   January 22nd 2015, 3:58 pm

@billnpatti wrote:
If you were whittling down to the minimum for your hunting, you could go to only two rifles, a .32 and a .54.  If it were me, I'd have to have a .62 smoothbore, too.  Even though my personal preference is for a .54 rather than a .50, the .50 will surely get the job done.

Well, if truth be known, I do have a very nice factory .54 percussion that I like a lot.  I still have my flint .62 smoothbore which I also like a lot.  The .45 mentioned in the original post is a sentimental favorite as it was my first custom rifle.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.martialartsusa.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Big and The Small   

Back to top Go down

The Big and The Small
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: