Share | 

Thinking about getting into ML

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Klondike Jim

Male Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2015-02-03

PostSubject: Thinking about getting into ML   February 3rd 2015, 10:50 am

I need info from. All you folks.  Doesn't seem to be much knowledge at any of the Sport or Gun stores up here.  Thinking about getting into muzzleloader.  I own CF, rim fire, handguns, shotguns, and compound bows.  Now want to add a new type of rifle to the list.  I am looking at going inline and unless something or someone changes my mind I will be going CVA. Looking at the Accura MR and V2 or the Optima V2.  Every time I email CVA customer service with a question the normally get back with me within 48 hrs or less.  And to me customer service is important. I don't know where this forum or most of the members are located but I live and hunt Alaska.  Any info in this area and even the rest of it is appreciated.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14398
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about getting into ML   February 3rd 2015, 11:03 am

You cant go wrong with either of those muzzleloaders. The Accura V2 & Optima ( non thumbhole) can use open sights where the MR can not due to its high stock comb design. Thats something to consider in the bush and you want to use open sights.

Do you know the regulations for muzzleloaders up there such as powder type/bullet type restrictions? CVA will shoot sabots and conicals greatly, pellet and loose powder.

Welcome to the forum as well! We're more than happy to help you along the way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5096
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about getting into ML   February 3rd 2015, 11:43 am

Welcome Jim.

I'm not into inlines so I'll let the experts on the panel answer your questions.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Al-53

Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2014-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about getting into ML   February 3rd 2015, 11:53 am

I own 2 Accuras one in .50 and one in .45 cal and also own a MR...they are great rifles...and wont break the bank....

The .50 will be good up there..wide variety of bullets to shoot...with the game you have there....also I would go with Blackhorn209 powder over the pellets...just need a 209 breech plug with a cost of around 30.00 extra to the rifle....they are pretty accurate out about 200 yards...lots on here have the CVA rifles..If you look in the range reports you will see results of thier shooting....

There is Shooter on here named carlos..goes by the forum name of cvilorio....he is a gun dealer and will get you best price on what you need if they ship to Alaska..he is the go to guy here...and he knows his stuff on muzzleloaders...and can shoot a gnat off a bulls ass at 200 yards..lol...

any ways you wont go wrong on the CVA rifles...Optima..Accura and the MR accura...all great shooters....check out some of the range reports and reviews here and other forums ..all been happy....and dont listen to Randy Wakeman saying the rifle will blow up....

have fun on deciding what to get..and enjoy shooting it when you do...you will be impressed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Klondike Jim

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about getting into ML   February 3rd 2015, 12:08 pm

So the MR, you must use a scope?  If so that one is gone. This is the kind of information I am looking for, so thank you. In Alaska it must be .45 cal or larger, any bullets/projectiles with either powder.  But if using it on a restricted style (muzzleloader only) hunt you may not have a scope attached.  And during the State qualification class you may not use a scope.  So I will be buying "Open Sight" but with ability to add scope for regular rifle season if I want. 

What about differences in the barrels and the finishes i.e. Nitride, Bergara vs "non" Beragra (and I know they are made at Beragra just not to same standards as the "stamped" ones). 

I understand the trigger and barrels are the main differences between the two?

@FrontierGander wrote:
You cant go wrong with either of those muzzleloaders. The Accura V2 & Optima ( non thumbhole) can use open sights where the MR can not due to its high stock comb design. Thats something to consider in the bush and you want to use open sights.

Do you know the regulations for muzzleloaders up there such as powder type/bullet type restrictions? CVA will shoot sabots and conicals greatly, pellet and loose powder.

Welcome to the forum as well! We're more than happy to help you along the way.

CVA Accura V2 .50 Cal. W/Nitride Barrel, Thumbhole stock and Fiber Optic Sights
Retired United States Air Force
Life Member Disabled American Veterans 
Life Member North American Hunting Club
and last but not least Grandfather 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Klondike Jim

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about getting into ML   February 3rd 2015, 12:19 pm

@Al-53 wrote:

any ways you wont go wrong on the CVA rifles...Optima..Accura and the MR accura...all great shooters....check out some of the range reports and reviews here and other forums ..all been happy....and dont listen to Randy Wakeman saying the rifle will blow up....

I am not worried about it blowing up.  I have already heard about that guy and another lawyer that go around bad mouthing CVA. If it was an older pre BPI then I might would.  But Bergara makes barrels for other manufactures to include T/C and Remington.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14398
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about getting into ML   February 3rd 2015, 12:34 pm

yeah the accura v2 can be in the 2-3lb range while the optima is a little heavier in the 3 - 3.5lb range. They both are great triggers though.

Agreed, Wakeman is a fool and shot plenty of CVA's when he was reviewing them. Its just the basic, paid to the highest bidder kind of deal.

I'd look hard at the Accura V2. The thumb hole Accura v2 works great with open sights. The optima WITH thumbhole once again, is for scope only. Non thumb hole optima is awesome with open sights as well. I have an Optima v2 and added a williams peep, shoots pretty sweet for what I am shooting in it right now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Al-53

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about getting into ML   February 3rd 2015, 12:44 pm

well you will need a rifle with open sites and can mount a scope for other hunts if you want..

That leaves you with the accura v2 which come in 2 barrel lengths now..27" and 30 " I believe...and also the Optima...which is a 26" barrel....I have 2 nitrides and 1 stainless accuras..I like the nitride..but thats personal prefrence...

the Accura has a great trigger...crisp and clean...mine are around 2.5 pounds

as far as the barrels..the Accura goes through a polishing cycle to remove machine marks and have the bore consistant...at least thats what CVA told me...but the optima is a great shooter also...just no adjustable trigger...or polished barrel...still a 200 yard rifle with great groups from what I have seen people post....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
org57

Number of posts : 509
Registration date : 2011-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about getting into ML   February 3rd 2015, 2:49 pm

Hi, Jim, welcome. I to have hunted Alaska. I was stationed there for 7 years while in the military. I hunted and fished many areas. I loved to hunt the Denali herd when it came through. I have gotten moose also. Fished in Reserrection Bay near Seward. Fish Creek for salmon and Ship Creek also. Loved Alaska. I drove the Alcan highway 6 times. It sure has changed from my first time. Welol welcome to the forum and please ask any question you may have. There are some very knowledgeable folks here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9492
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about getting into ML   February 3rd 2015, 2:57 pm

Here's a sight for you. It's a peep sight mounted on a scope mount. You leave the peep sight on when you mount a scope. So, the peep stays sighted in all the time.

http://www.eabco.net/PeepRib-Peep-Sights-for-CVA-Optima-Kodiak-Wolf-and-Accura_p_13910.html

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AMRE2ME2

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2013-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about getting into ML   February 4th 2015, 7:20 am

Hi Jim, I'm the guy from the AK Outdoors site that posted about this site. As you can see, lots of helpful guys on here to help get you set up. Give Carlos a call if you decide on a CVA. He will save you a lot of headaches and money. I spent hours on this site reading all the older posts too, tons of good info.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rmwildlifestudios.com
Klondike Jim

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about getting into ML   February 20th 2015, 9:08 pm

Well I placed an order with CVA yesterday morning.  Ordered a Accura V2 Nitride with Thumbhole and Fiber Optic Sights.  The Blackhorn QRBP's are back ordered for months from the sound of it.  Have CVA's Deluxe Range Cleaning Kit and a Soft Case coming as well.  Still need to buy powder, bullet starter, bullets, etc.  Just have to figure out which pellets / power and bullets to start with.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GregK

Male Number of posts : 3056
Registration date : 2012-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about getting into ML   February 21st 2015, 6:23 am

I wish I had seen this post sooner. I would have suggested & still do that you call Carlos at Ed's Gun Shop 910-692-7936 & get all of the additional supplies you need from him. He will talk with you & figure out just what you need. He will also have the BH209 breech plug (made by Western Powders.....the company that makes BH209) & yes it is different than CVA's plug. I would have suggested that you get your gun from him too, but that time has passed.

Carlos is probably the most knowledgeable person you can talk to about this & will have everything you need & at a better price too.

Good luck with everything, Greg

McRem 40cal SML

LEUPOLD 4-12X40 VX-R 30mm, CDS, FIRE DOT
CEB 40/240, 76gr IMR 4895
2600 ft/s

CVA APEX .358 SML & .45 ML
LUEPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R CDS, FIRE DOT, WIND PLEX

Knight Mountainer LTD
45cal / 1-20 twist
LEUPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R 30mm WIND PLEX CDS FIREDOT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Al-53

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about getting into ML   February 21st 2015, 6:38 am

I agree with Greg..Carlos knows his stuff on muzzle loaders..I get all my rifles and supplies from him..I just got a care package yesterday from him...I get my powder (BH209).. breech plugs..bullets primers from him...He should be in the shop Monday as he was away to a wholesaler show..

talk to him and tell him your hunting needs and he will fix you up ....well worth the call

Al
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Klondike Jim

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about getting into ML   February 21st 2015, 10:44 am

GregK and Al, Carlos and I messaged back and fort a few times and he knows why I bought the gun straight from CVA. and I was thinking about contacting him again and have it put together a newbie box and send it.  I like to get others ideas too.  He gave me several bullets to try and what not to buy.

CVA Accura V2 .50 Cal. W/Nitride Barrel, Thumbhole stock and Fiber Optic Sights
Retired United States Air Force
Life Member Disabled American Veterans 
Life Member North American Hunting Club
and last but not least Grandfather 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about getting into ML   

Back to top Go down

Thinking about getting into ML
View previous topic View next topic Back to top