Share | 

Frustratingly Inconsistent

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Clyde

Number of posts : 348
Registration date : 2011-11-27

PostSubject: Frustratingly Inconsistent   February 8th 2015, 11:54 am

I was out shooting my CVA Buckhorn today.  I was trying 95 grains 777(FFG) with a slightly knurled 260 gr Scorpion in their black crushed rib sabot.
I started off at 100 yds about 3 inches low and 2 inches right made my corrections  centered up but still 2.5 to 3 inches low.  Fired for group got 2 inches, made additional up corrections fired for group got 21/4 a little right but still low.  Made one more set of corrections fired another group got 13/4 center but still low.  Now I made one more set of corrections but this time I tapped the scope 3 or for times with my knuckles .  The next three shots were left and 6 inches higher than the previous groups.Surprised  Changed my target first shot was high  so I made a minor adjustment and rapped the scope by the caps again instantly it shot to where it had shot the last good group.  I stopped checked my mounts and the scope, all tight.  Fired another 3 shot group just a hair over 2 inches.  Fired another group and I about fell off the bench it was about 1.5 inches. Fired another group and got 2 1/4 inches.  

Now I changed to some MMP sabots with the same bullet.  Instantly the group shifted 3 inches right and went vertical you could have drawn a straight line 
and they were 3 inches higher .  Looking at the target I had a really nice cluster 3 inches below center and a really nice cluster about 2.5 inches right but I can't explain those wild shots after the 13/4 inch group I checked my stock bolts  they were tight.  

I would almost have said I blew a scope but the groups came back after the wild rounds so I'm wondering if something internally in the scope jammed or is jamming .  I've had issues with this Weaver scope on the vertical adjustment before.  I had to put low mounts on this rifle to have enough adjustment to zero last summer.  I also noticed today that the horizontal adjustments were much more responsive today than the vertical .

Any suggestion on what else other than stock to barrel contact ?  This rifle has always hovered around 2 inches I don't know if its the long locktime for the bolt to go forward or what ?  I have gotten 13/4 inches with some Barnes 275 knurled I'm about ready to scrub this rifle.pirat
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14398
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Frustratingly Inconsistent   February 8th 2015, 12:01 pm

Sounds to me like the inners of the scope are sticking. If tapping it makes that much of a difference, its time for a new one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Clyde

PostSubject: Re: Frustratingly Inconsistent   February 8th 2015, 12:13 pm

Jon I'm with you if firing 95 gr and a 260 gr projectile didn't move it I can't believe whacking it 4 times with my knuckles by the caps would, but then I figured how many clicks I had made on the vertical which was about 30.  Assuming 1/4 inch per click that would be about 7 inches and that is about where those three shots landed .  3 up from the bottom and about 4 inches above center.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Frustratingly Inconsistent   February 8th 2015, 1:18 pm

Clyde

I counted at least 27 shots of yours. Were you giving the bore a rest between shots?
Back to top Go down
Clyde

PostSubject: Re: Frustratingly Inconsistent   February 8th 2015, 1:27 pm

You counted right and I probably could have given it a little more time yes, I actually built up some heat on the barrel for the first time since June or July .  I've pretty much been using sabotless since then maybe that was it.  But the odd thing was that the groups seemed to tighten as heat was added.  For instance after changing the target I still had one high shot then as I lessened the time between shots the groups shrank, so I don't know maybe there is a sweet spot with heat and barrel fit with the stock.  I had an old Mosin -Nagant like that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clyde

PostSubject: Re: Frustratingly Inconsistent   February 15th 2015, 6:19 am

Well I think I found the issue I took a dollar bill folded it in half and barely got it stock before it got pinched off by the stock .  So I'm going to pull off the stock rasp the channel slowly and I think i will also bed the rear tang with some JB Weld .  Nothing else to do on a 9 degree day with 30 mph winds.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JCORD

Male Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2012-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Frustratingly Inconsistent   February 15th 2015, 8:24 am

Hope that cures your problem.
 Since I am fairly new to muzzleloading and  this question has nothing to do with your problem. I started reading your post. First you are using a sabot and knurled your bullet? I thought knurled bullets
were used without sabots, so the bullet could ride the rifling.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://hood-35@att.net
Clyde

PostSubject: Re: Frustratingly Inconsistent   February 15th 2015, 8:36 am

There is a train of thought out there that lightly knurling a bullet allows it to better grip the plastic of the sabot.  I had some knurled .45 pt Scorpions  that I was going to try in a .45 cal Lightning but PR Bullet's 260 gr Extreme Elites solved that problem, so rather than waste the bullets I gave this a try. I'm not sure of the results after I work on the stock I have some 300's I'm going to try.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Frustratingly Inconsistent   February 15th 2015, 9:04 am

The 260 grain Extreme Elites I have are 40-cal blue sabot for 50-cal ML (50/40s)
What an odd looking bullet..... long and narrow. Hoping to see some weather relief and range-work with them in March.

Another odd ball I purchased from Precision are the 50/40 QT Polymer Tip in 180 grain. Hey, why not?  Millions of deer have been harvested with a 177 grain roundball and these QT-sabots supposedly fly twice as far and straighter...... so says Cecil Epps. Just can't push them with too many grains. Might have to hold them down to around 90 of blackpowder FFF for best accuracy.
Back to top Go down
Clyde

PostSubject: Re: Frustratingly Inconsistent   February 15th 2015, 10:01 am

In my opinion there is no better bullet out there then PR  I used 300-340 gr DC on many a deer and they blew huge holes  in deer.  However for reasons I'm not going to get into here I've had to stop ordering them except what I can get through a third party .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clyde

PostSubject: Re: Frustratingly Inconsistent   February 15th 2015, 2:15 pm

Well, its done I don't know if I got it right I do know that their were 2 tight spots both on the right side of the stock one right at the end and when it would get warm the rounds would impact up and more often than not to the left. So I sanded those 2 spots out a folded dollar goes halfway down the stock, and I put some JB weld on the back of each bedding lug allowed to harden an reinstalled so who knows.  Now the worst part weather is not supposed to clear for at least a week.  Hate February.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Frustratingly Inconsistent   

Back to top Go down

Frustratingly Inconsistent
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: