Muzzleloading Forum

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Roundball patch size

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Roundball patch size   February 17th 2015, 11:48 am

In looking at my muzzleloader supplies back-stock, I appear to have a half-million 58-cal unlubed roundball patches and no unlubed 50 caliber.

Are there any 'cons' to using an oversized 'wet' 58-cal round patch in a 50-cal ML? I plan on experimenting with three flavors...
1) Mr. Flintlocks Lube and Cleaner
2) Olive Oil
3) DL Permatex Hand Cleaner http://www.permatex.com/products-2/product-categories/hand-care/hand-cleaners/dl-permatex-blue-label-cream-hand-cleaner-detail

I should probably scratch the last two I listed. Otherwise my bore may become too contaminated with burnt residue, from all the overlapping from the oversized patch.

Maybe my cheap-azz-butt better go buy some 50-cal patches, if I plan on using all three lubes I listed here.
Back to top Go down
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5116
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Roundball patch size   February 17th 2015, 11:56 am

Cut at the muzzle was the way it was done originally. Just cut yours or trim them beforehand. No sense wasting them.
Do you have a .50 cal. punch?

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14399
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Roundball patch size   February 17th 2015, 12:00 pm

I use 58cal patches in all my rifles, including the 50cal. I prefer the oversized patch as it makes centering the ball in the patch easier.

Not sure about the hand cleaner.

Olive oil/beeswax makes decent patch lube but really more for hunting when you only get a couple shots. Mink Oil from track of the wolf is the best hunting lube ive used to date.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Huntin_Dawg1215

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Roundball patch size   February 17th 2015, 6:17 pm

I was out shooting my .54 cal the other day and cut at the muzzle for the first time ever and that is not a bad way. I had some patch material that I had not cut to size, I may cut at the muzzle more often.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
andyman202

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2015-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Roundball patch size   February 28th 2015, 6:03 pm

I have used the following patch lube for almost 40 years and have had no issues: by volume...1/3 Water, 1/3 Murphy's Oil Soap, 1/3 Windex (or any window cleaner with ammonia). Every time you put a patch and ball down the barrel, it cleans and lubes. Don't have any issues with rust, junk build-up in the barrel, etc., and cleaning the gun after a day of shooting is a cake walk.  I raised two wives and five boys shooting with this patch lube and never, ever had an issue and I still use it in all my guns: trade, rifles, shotguns and all the pistols and cannon. I tried everything before I was passed this mix by a graybeard friend (now I are the graybeard!) and nothing worked and caused me all manner of irritation. Give it a try, if you don't like it, it didn't cost you anything but catching the devil from your dearly beloved for stealing her cleaning supplies!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Roundball patch size   

Back to top Go down

Roundball patch size
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: