View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Number of posts : 3704
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: ... TIGHT and SNUG BULLETS ........   February 19th 2015, 10:13 am

After speaking to Dave, dlethcoe, and Jonathan concerning JB Bore polish, Dave gave me a good idea of pushing a few bullets down the barrel to see if I made enough strokes with the JB polish. Here's my findings.

458-300 gr subsonic w/orange sabot..........................snug
452-250 gr XP w/sm sabot.......................................good
452-250 gr Hornady Mono Flx ML w/red sabot.............good
PT GOLD 300 gr w/sm sabot.....................................snug
PT GOLD 260 gr w/sm sabot.....................................good
PT GOLD 300 gr w/cr/sabot......................................good
Parker B/E 275 gr w/sm sabot..................................snug
Parker B/E 275 gr w/cr sabot...................................good

All the sabots that were used, unless they came with the bullets, were Harvester CRUSHED and EZ LOAD smooth sabots.

Ray........... t up

Dave, think any more strokes are necessary. Question

KEEPEM IN THE " 10 " RING   

Semper Fi...... '66-'69

Last edited by hawgslayer on February 19th 2015, 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Al-53

Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2014-12-09

PostSubject: Re: ... TIGHT and SNUG BULLETS ........   February 19th 2015, 10:37 am

Ray...30-50 strokes with the bore polish is good...after that its finding the bullet sabot combo that loads best...as you seen in your findings...one sabot is snug and one loads good...I used a ribbed sabot and tried a 458 bullet..loaded good..Call harvester and talk to them they will suggest what sabot for what bullets that were snug...they are great to talk to..MMP acts like its a privilage to talk to you...I like the Harvester sabots better seems the polymer plastic is much much more slippery loading..like it has a built in lube..lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: ... TIGHT and SNUG BULLETS ........   February 19th 2015, 10:48 am

Thanks Al-53. My normal bullet combo is the Parker Ballistic Extreme 275 gr with the Harvester EZ-LOAD SMOOTH BLACK SABOT.
I've been using that load for a few seasons now and I've taken about 6 deer. I have no problem with it. Now I can play around some with different loads.
Thanks for the reply,

Ray..........

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Al-53

PostSubject: Re: ... TIGHT and SNUG BULLETS ........   February 19th 2015, 10:58 am

Your welcome Ray...I am going to try some Parker Ballistic Extreme bullets come spring...read nothing but good about them...I have so many combos to test for .50 and .45 but the weather is not helping me...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: ... TIGHT and SNUG BULLETS ........   February 19th 2015, 11:12 am

Al-53 for what's it worth. I used and will use Parker B/E's 275 gr until I run out. After that I'm not going to buy any more. Reason being.............
50 BULLETS WITHOUT THE SABOTS RUN OVER $60.00. When I run out of these, I'm sure I'll be going to HARVESTER PT GOLD 300 GR or one of the other bullets mentioned above. They are really resonable and if you call Harvester and buy in balk, you can get the sabots there also.
Carlos has the 260 gr and the sabot but last time I spoke to him, he didn't have the 300's.
I got real good results at the range with the Hornady mono flex ml 250 gr. Time will tell.

Ray............

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Al-53

PostSubject: Re: ... TIGHT and SNUG BULLETS ........   February 19th 2015, 11:46 am

When I got my first .50 Carlos recommended the PT gold 260 or 300...I got the 260 and harvester sabot...they shot dead on ..then I got a MR like yours..I shot 10 shots from it with same load...the MR shoots them top notch...then I got some 300's and the weather went south on me...been like that since....I ordered another rifle from Carlos..a .45 Accura which I am really excited to shoot sabotless but again no break in weather...so all I been doing is looking at rifles and cleaning...I may wear the nitride off soon..lol...then i went to a gun shop while I was doing errands in another town..they had a new knight mountaineer on sale...half price...I could not resist...so got it....and more snow came....the wife said to not buy any more rifles till spring..cause every time I get one weather gets worse...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: ... TIGHT and SNUG BULLETS ........   February 19th 2015, 12:17 pm

If there is any truth to what your wife said, don't buy any more and maybe it will work for me and the weather gets warmer here also. lol!

Ray........... :rtup

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dlethcoe

Male Number of posts : 688
Registration date : 2012-02-19

PostSubject: Re: ... TIGHT and SNUG BULLETS ........   February 19th 2015, 1:54 pm

Ray, I think you will have the same problem that I have with my MR's, what bullet do I shoot today :shooter:After you go through your list of bullets and find out that it likes all of them, then you can start looking for more. Let the fun begin.:Chief

Dave
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: ... TIGHT and SNUG BULLETS ........   February 19th 2015, 6:06 pm

Wink
Dave,
I'm beginning to see what you mean. I'm hoping the weather gets a little warmer so I can get to the range.
Did you get those .458 and .452's from Carlos Question He sent me those Hornady's. I'd like to get a box or 2 of them also. I had good luck with those with my V2 SS TH.

Thanks again for the help.
Ray.........

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dlethcoe

PostSubject: Re: ... TIGHT and SNUG BULLETS ........   February 19th 2015, 6:22 pm

Ray,
On the 458's I tryed different sabots ( I did a report), and it seemed like The MMP orange sabot was the best for going down the barrel and also being accurate, As far as the Monoflex, I had better luck with the Harvester e load smooth sabots, in the MR"s, but in my Accura V2, it liked the red supplied sabots.
Yes I did get the bullets from Carlos, I have been a fan of the Monoflex for some time, I live 90 miles from Hornady and can not get them around here, I was glad when Carlos started carring them in bulk.

Team work
Dave
Back to top Go down
View user profile
biddler2

Male Number of posts : 609
Registration date : 2011-11-14

PostSubject: Re: ... TIGHT and SNUG BULLETS ........   February 19th 2015, 7:41 pm

I think most of the new guns will shoot well with several projectiles and I feel it has more to do with BH209 more than anything. Switching sabots fine tunes things but I had more inconsistency with T7. I was using pellets but never tried loose. Ray having seen your shooting abilities I feel most bullets will shoot well for you in the new rifle. 
Al keep buying rifles because our winter hasn't been to bad and you wouldn't want to ruin the summer with more snow. The downside will be this summer when you guys can go out early and shoot and it will be above 80 by then here in the morning.

hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: ... TIGHT and SNUG BULLETS ........   February 19th 2015, 8:20 pm

t up
Thanks Gents for all your replies. I appreciate your opinions, first hand knowledge and suggestions. I've always said, this forum is one of the best out here and that's because of the members that hang out here. It's the members that make this forum what it is.

Thanks Gents,

Ray.............. Shooter

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dlethcoe

PostSubject: Re: ... TIGHT and SNUG BULLETS ........   February 19th 2015, 9:01 pm

@hawgslayer wrote:
t up
Thanks Gents for all your replies. I appreciate your opinions, first hand knowledge and suggestions. I've always said, this forum is one of the best out here and that's because of the members that hang out here. It's the members that make this forum what it is.

Thanks Gents,

Ray.............. Shooter
Ray, I agree 100% with you on this

Dave
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 3257
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: ... TIGHT and SNUG BULLETS ........   February 20th 2015, 6:49 am

@Al-53 wrote:
When I got my first .50 Carlos recommended the PT gold 260 or 300...I got the 260 and harvester sabot...they shot dead on ..then I got a MR like yours..I shot 10 shots from it with same load...the MR shoots them top notch...then I got some 300's and the weather went south on me...been like that since....I ordered another rifle from Carlos..a .45 Accura which I am really excited to shoot sabotless but again no break in weather...so all I been doing is looking at rifles and cleaning...I may wear the nitride off soon..lol...then i went to a gun shop while I was doing errands in another town..they had a new knight mountaineer on sale...half price...I could not resist...so got it....and more snow came....the wife said to not buy any more rifles till spring..cause every time I get one weather gets worse...
.45 Accura...NICE Exclamation   Being an exclusive .45er,  I'd be really interested to know how you do with sabotless combos.  I have three muzzleloaders I need to set-up sabotless this year.  Hard to beat metal-on-metal down the barrel for accuracy once you find the magic combo.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GregK

Male Number of posts : 3056
Registration date : 2012-01-22

PostSubject: Re: ... TIGHT and SNUG BULLETS ........   February 20th 2015, 2:36 pm

Ray....be sure to try the subsonics. They load a bit easier in a fouled barrel & both Dave & I have had very good accuracy in our new MR's.....Greg

McRem 40cal SML

LEUPOLD 4-12X40 VX-R 30mm, CDS, FIRE DOT
CEB 40/240, 76gr IMR 4895
2600 ft/s

CVA APEX .358 SML & .45 ML
LUEPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R CDS, FIRE DOT, WIND PLEX

Knight Mountainer LTD
45cal / 1-20 twist
LEUPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R 30mm WIND PLEX CDS FIREDOT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: ... TIGHT and SNUG BULLETS ........   February 20th 2015, 3:29 pm

Greg,
If Carlos has them in stock I'll some from him. Thanks for the suggestion Exclamation Exclamation

Ray.......... Shooter

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Al-53

PostSubject: Re: ... TIGHT and SNUG BULLETS ........   February 20th 2015, 4:29 pm

I just got my care package from Carlos....a box of the copper Lehigh Xp's...3 jugs of powder...and primers...the XP's are .45 cal...going to see how they knurl...and fit in Barrel...they are a hard copper not like some other solid copper bullets..

Then in the mail I got my Thor bore test bullets...I slugged the MR and was .500 and then the Knight was .500 ..the ,501 would not load..now I have to accura which I suspect may be bit loser than than the others..

I have some of the sub CF bullets...they look great...just need weather...they did clean out the range this week for a charity shoot next week..but still so cold...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: ... TIGHT and SNUG BULLETS ........   February 20th 2015, 4:39 pm

Al-53,
Sounds like your ready for the range. Hopefully the weather will break for both of us.

Ray.......... Shooter

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Al-53

PostSubject: Re: ... TIGHT and SNUG BULLETS ........   February 20th 2015, 4:50 pm

I hope so...I have not bought any rifles in 2 weeks ..I hope bullets dont count for buying and make bad weather...lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: ... TIGHT and SNUG BULLETS ........   February 21st 2015, 10:30 am

I went back and checked those bullets that were snug and tried these Harvester Sabots. Results....

.458-300 GR subsonic w/orange sabot......Pretty snug w/crushed sabot...Tight w/smooth sabot.
PT Gold 300 GR w/smooth sabot..................Easy w/crushed sabot
Parker B/E 275 GR w/smooth sabot..............Easy w/crushed sabot

Like Dave said, "LET THE GAMES BEGIN" Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation 

Ray............. Shooter

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clyde

Number of posts : 348
Registration date : 2011-11-27

PostSubject: Re: ... TIGHT and SNUG BULLETS ........   February 21st 2015, 12:07 pm

Has anybody ever compared the 4 or 3 or 2 petal designs to see if a particular design works better ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dlethcoe

PostSubject: Re: ... TIGHT and SNUG BULLETS ........   February 21st 2015, 12:34 pm

@Clyde wrote:
Has anybody ever compared the 4 or 3 or 2 petal designs to see if a particular design works better ?
I used the Lehigh 458/300 gr Subsonic 4 pedal last year on a deer, and they worked just as they are supposed to, And they are very accurate, As for the 458/305 gr 3 pedal, I will be doing some testing and comparing them with the 300 gr bullet when we get some better weather.

Dave
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Al-53

PostSubject: Re: ... TIGHT and SNUG BULLETS ........   February 21st 2015, 2:43 pm

@Clyde wrote:
Lehigh makes a 6 petal also...they make them for Knight..they are called Bloodlines...I seen a ballistic gel test like what Carlos did..and I said it looks like a hand grenade bullet..6 petals break off and just cut into every thing as the base passes thru the body..devestating
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GregK

Male Number of posts : 3056
Registration date : 2012-01-22

PostSubject: Re: ... TIGHT and SNUG BULLETS ........   February 21st 2015, 7:27 pm

The standard 458/300gr (NOT SUBSONIC) has 6 petals. The reason for the 4 petal subsonic is to allow the bullet to operate properly all the way down to the 800ft/s. I you look at the noses of the 2 bullets you'll see wider saw cuts on the subsonic allowing the lower speed performance that can be needed on longer range muzzleloading shots.

Greg

McRem 40cal SML

LEUPOLD 4-12X40 VX-R 30mm, CDS, FIRE DOT
CEB 40/240, 76gr IMR 4895
2600 ft/s

CVA APEX .358 SML & .45 ML
LUEPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R CDS, FIRE DOT, WIND PLEX

Knight Mountainer LTD
45cal / 1-20 twist
LEUPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R 30mm WIND PLEX CDS FIREDOT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ... TIGHT and SNUG BULLETS ........   

Back to top Go down

... TIGHT and SNUG BULLETS ........
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: