Share | 

Which Rifle for Wife and Daughter

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
elks

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2015-02-27

PostSubject: Which Rifle for Wife and Daughter   February 27th 2015, 4:31 pm

My daughter is 9 years old and is a pretty good shot with both her bow and her 22lr. We have a family friend with good whitetail property in Iowa and has invited us out to hunt this year. Due to my work schedule we will only be able to hit the Muzzle Loading season.

I am trying to determine the best options for us. Here is what I know...

I want the caliber to be 50 cal as that is the min caliber required for elk in Colorado. She shoots a scope better than open sight, but only because we have shot more that way. 

I am leaning towards an inline only because the ease of cleaning, but also want to have her practice a lot for cheap. So this leaves me looking at a more traditional gun due to the use of a ball.

I have looked at the TC IMpact, heard good and bad about it, Also considering the Wolf.

Also looked at getting a kit like the traditions kit and having mother and daughter work on it together.

What would you recommend for a rifle capable of killing deer and elk, that is ease to handle by my small framed wife and a youth hunter etc. I am afraid that too much cleaning will turn my daughter off... Price is an issue, but fro what I see there are a lot of options for under $500...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14398
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Which Rifle for Wife and Daughter   February 27th 2015, 4:41 pm

Take a look at the CVA Wolf with 24" barrel. I started my nephew on that and he did really good with it. The CVA Optima is another great go to rifle.

I'd shy away from TC, they are a pain in the butt when it comes to shooting conicals. So much, TC doesnt even recommend conicals in their rifles.

The traditions deer hunter would be another great option, adjustable tumbler for trigger pull. I'd suggest polishing the moving parts for the best outcome. I actually got one in today and had fun shooting it.

I personally would highly suggest the Wolf.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
rmclaughlin

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2010-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Which Rifle for Wife and Daughter   February 27th 2015, 4:45 pm

Carlos has some optimas for 180.00.that is a very good buy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Number of posts : 3704
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Which Rifle for Wife and Daughter   February 27th 2015, 4:47 pm

elks,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Glad you could join the wild bunch Exclamation

Ray........... :rtup

KEEPEM IN THE " 10 " RING   

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
elks

PostSubject: Re: Which Rifle for Wife and Daughter   February 27th 2015, 4:50 pm

Awesome. Is the wolf considered ambidextrous? My daughter shoots Right my wife shoot left?

Will the Wolf do well with cheaper ball rounds and reduced loads? My daughter will need lots of practice.

Also my quick search showed all with a scope mount, but are they drilled and tapped for open sight or will that be something I need a gun smith for?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
elks

PostSubject: Re: Which Rifle for Wife and Daughter   February 27th 2015, 4:51 pm

@rmclaughlin wrote:
Carlos has some optimas for 180.00.that is a very good buy.

Who is this Carlos? Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rmclaughlin

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2010-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Which Rifle for Wife and Daughter   February 27th 2015, 4:55 pm

Eds gunshop.Has a on line shop (look in classifieds).He should be in Monday.Call him and he can give you options.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14398
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Which Rifle for Wife and Daughter   February 27th 2015, 5:56 pm

@elks wrote:
Awesome. Is the wolf considered ambidextrous? My daughter shoots Right my wife shoot left?

Will the Wolf do well with cheaper ball rounds and reduced loads? My daughter will need lots of practice.

Also my quick search showed all with a scope mount, but are they drilled and tapped for open sight or will that be something I need a gun smith for?

Yep, the wolf can be shot righty or lefty. Even the hammer spur can be changed from the right to the left side.

You can try 50-60gr pyrodex RS and a .015-.018" patch with .490 round ball for plinking out to 50 yards. Great idea to break her in on something light but still makes noise and that foggy smoke.

If you get in touch with CVA, they'll trade in that scope mount for open sights. I'd personally check into the Williams Peep sight.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Number of posts : 3704
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Which Rifle for Wife and Daughter   February 27th 2015, 6:53 pm

elks,
Carlos is a good guy and knows his way around these muzzleloaders. He's helped many members on this forum with his knowledge and with prices at the gun shop. 
GO TO ED'S GUN SHOP and check it out and then while your there check out , asking questions to ed's and you'll find Carlos. He goes by.......... cvilorio ........here on the forum. He's a good guy and will never stir you wrong.

Ray............

KEEPEM IN THE " 10 " RING   

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which Rifle for Wife and Daughter   

Back to top Go down

Which Rifle for Wife and Daughter
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum