Kentucky Long Rifle Questions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jra3434

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2015-03-05

PostSubject: Kentucky Long Rifle Questions   March 5th 2015, 12:23 pm

Hello Everyone,

I'm brand new to Muzzleloading and for my birthday my wife bought me a Kentucky Long Rifle made by Pedersoli. BEAUTIFUL firearm and it really satisfies my desire to own a traditional rifle and will serve my desire to hunt deer in a traditional method as well (percussion, .50, octagon barrel). I'm not much for plugging a buck at 350 yards with a .300...not much sport in that for me. 

So as I am definitely new to the game, I had some general questions about best powders to use with this particular long barreled rifle, sighting in the iron sight mechanism, balls versus bullets and cleaning/maintenance (particularly maintaining the nipple and firing mechanism). Basically, anyone who owns this type of rifle or something similar would you be willing to give me some advice on what has worked best for you? Things to look out for, consider and best practices?

Lastly, should I consider pellets over loose powder? Every type of powder imaginable is available here in Texas.
Thank you all!

Joe A. :Grace:Grace:Grace:Grace
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FiremanBrad

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2014-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky Long Rifle Questions   March 5th 2015, 12:45 pm

You'll want to use granulated powder, not pellets. I prefer real black powder. 
What twist rate is your barrel? This will help determine what projectile to use. If it's a slow twist like 1:60/1:66, a patched round ball will be hard to beat. My Pedersoli Rifle has a 1:45 or 48? And it shoots PRB or conicals equally well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9511
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky Long Rifle Questions   March 5th 2015, 12:48 pm

Did you get the DVD, and manual that comes with the gun? That will give you the basics on loading, and cleaning.

Absolutely use powder, and not pellets. If you can get real black powder use it. If not, use Pyrodex P for powder.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Standing Bear

Male Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2014-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky Long Rifle Questions   March 5th 2015, 1:01 pm

Mornin, Joe.  You'll find there are a lot of folks in Texas shooting traditional MLs.  I'm a little SW of Austin.  Let me know if I can help you hook up with others in your area.  Glad to hear you are interested in hunting as a challenge and not a long range ambush.

Re shooting the .50. 

Powder:  Use a measure - don't pour powder from a can, horn or flask just using an attached spout.  Black powder, FF or FFF.  I shoot Goex FF in my .40, .50 and .54.  Real BP ignites better and cleans up better than the substitutes.

Projectile:  Patched roundball.  Took a couple of nice hill country bucks with my flinters and round balls out to 65 yards.  I cast and use .495 balls in my .50s but just cast some .500s to experiment with.  My patch material is pure cotton and runs from .015 thick to .024.  Mostly use thick stuff and carry the thinner for reloading from the pouch on trail walks and hunting.

Lube:  Wet the patch w saliva if shooting soon after loading.  for hunting I use Mink Oil.  It doesn't dry out if left loaded for several days and easier to carry in the pouch.

Cleaning:  Get a range rod. Clean with WATER.  I use a cleaning nipple with a piece of hose on the long guns that don't have a hooked breech which I think is what you have.  Hooked breech guns, I remove the barrel and stand the breech in a can of water.  Flinters I plug the touch hole with a tooth pick and fill with water.  Flush water thru the breech using a damp to start patch on a jag.  Use multiple patches and repeat til clean.  Dry with a clean dry patch and apply your choice of rust preventative.    Let the water soak in while cleaning the lock.  High pressure water like a choked down faucet to blast fouling (don't forget the inside of the hammer cup).  WD40 to displace water. 

You can make a range rod and a flushing nipple.

Good luck and enjoy the journey,
TC
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9511
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky Long Rifle Questions   March 5th 2015, 1:15 pm

I suggest Pyrodex P, or 3F BP. The breech channel is small in Pedersoli's, and 2F will bridge the gap sometimes. That will give slow, or misfires.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jra3434

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky Long Rifle Questions   March 5th 2015, 3:50 pm

My barrel is 1:48 according to the Pedersoli Website. Minimum load of 50 grs and max of 100grs. Says the recommended shot is a .490 round ball with a .010 patch. I'm sure that this can be modified slightly to find what suits my shooting the best... I also have a lot...and I mean thousands of pre lubed patches that were given to me unopened... so I will be using these.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jra3434

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky Long Rifle Questions   March 5th 2015, 3:51 pm

Thanks for the input...I do have access to real black powder and all of the alternatives. SO NO PELLETS. Will do.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FiremanBrad

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2014-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky Long Rifle Questions   March 5th 2015, 5:07 pm

@jra3434 wrote:
My barrel is 1:48 according to the Pedersoli Website. Minimum load of 50 grs and max of 100grs. Says the recommended shot is a .490 round ball with a .010 patch. I'm sure that this can be modified slightly to find what suits my shooting the best... I also have a lot...and I mean thousands of pre lubed patches that were given to me unopened... so I will be using these.
My pedersoli likes 90gr of 2f under that same ball and patch combo.  She also likes 80gr of 2f under a 275gr TC Maxi Hunter conical. Have fun, you're going to love that rifle!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky Long Rifle Questions   

Back to top Go down

Kentucky Long Rifle Questions
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: