Spring is comin turkeys are talkin

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Lobo 1

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2014-12-22

PostSubject: Spring is comin turkeys are talkin   March 15th 2015, 6:42 am

Does anyone hunt turkeys with their muzzleloaders? The Michigan season starts on April 20th, that'll be here before you know it. bounce cheers

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 3208
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Spring is comin turkeys are talkin   March 16th 2015, 11:03 am

I don't...but would certainly like to.   Great photo Lobo1 Exclamation   I'm curious what load you stuff down that barrel Question

-------------------------------------------------------
p.s. Turkeys can be skittish.  Seems like it would be a challenge to cock the hammer without spookin' a long-beard  What a Face
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9511
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Spring is comin turkeys are talkin   March 16th 2015, 11:19 am

It was my plan to try it this fall. Only shotguns for spring turkey, but I can use a PRB for fall. 

Do you take head shots with the PRB?

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lobo 1

PostSubject: Re: Spring is comin turkeys are talkin   March 16th 2015, 4:46 pm

The gun in the picture is my 12ga English fowler made for me by Jud Brennan back about 1978. It has accounted for a lot of turkeys. I load it with 80gr of 2ff behind 90gr of #5 or sometimes #6 shot. I call em in with hen clucks and purrs to about 25yd's and lace it to em, head and neck shots only.

I have a 20ga Fusil de chasse (Tulle) that has taken a few birds also. The three mounts in my trophy room are all 1st place contest winners in a local contest at a Sporting Goods store. It's fun to beat out modern 3 and 3 1/2" magnums. When I took 1st place two years in a row I had em scratchin their heads an thinkin they might try one of them flintlocks. Laughing

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14334
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Spring is comin turkeys are talkin   March 16th 2015, 5:03 pm

Niiiice!!! :rtup

I'd love to do a turkey hunt but it just doesn't feel right for me this year. Maybe film my brother in law next month but for me, I'll wait for grouse season.

Great pictures as usual!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Lobo 1

PostSubject: Re: Spring is comin turkeys are talkin   March 16th 2015, 5:39 pm

"I'd love to do a turkey hunt but it just doesn't feel right for me this year. Maybe film my brother in law next month but for me, I'll wait for grouse season."

I look forward to spring turkey season almost as much as deer season
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Spring is comin turkeys are talkin   March 16th 2015, 6:39 pm

Awesome mounts!   I'm with you Lobo 1 when it comes to turkey season Wink ...it's hard to beat spring turkey season here in the Northeast weather-wise.  I use calls all the time when it comes to deer hunting, and enjoy the same when it  comes to calling gobblers.   Quite the adrenelin rush.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By the way... for now, I'm the guy with the 30" full semi-auto shotgun with 3" magnum 4's! Laughing

Last edited by Marty on March 17th 2015, 5:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Spring is comin turkeys are talkin   March 16th 2015, 6:44 pm

Nice mounts.

I don't have any shotguns anymore, so a PRB will have to do.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Spring is comin turkeys are talkin   March 16th 2015, 6:56 pm

Muley wrote:
Nice mounts.

I don't have any shotguns anymore, so a PRB will have to do.
A PRB on a turkey would certainly "do" the job Muley Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lobo 1

PostSubject: Re: Spring is comin turkeys are talkin   March 16th 2015, 7:00 pm

Rifles aren't legal for turkeys here in Michigan so the ole smoothbore an shot is what gets the job done

Last edited by Lobo 1 on March 16th 2015, 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Spring is comin turkeys are talkin   March 16th 2015, 7:03 pm

I think so to Marty. They give us the whole month of Sept for the turkey hunt, and we don't have to wear blaze orange either. Nice time of year to be in the Rockies.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lobo 1

PostSubject: Re: Spring is comin turkeys are talkin   March 16th 2015, 7:07 pm

Sometimes you'll run into one of them wise old birds that ya just can't fool an he ends up givin YOU the bird. Laughing

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Spring is comin turkeys are talkin   March 17th 2015, 5:59 am

@Lobo 1 wrote:
Rifles aren't legal for turkeys here in Michigan so the ole smoothbore an shot is what gets the job done

Lobo 1, with no single projectiles, is there a restriction in Michigan on the shot size Question
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokin' Joe
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1592
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Spring is comin turkeys are talkin   March 17th 2015, 7:18 am

I love turkey hunting!  I haven't tried it yet with a muzzleloader, for me, they're challenging enough to get with the modern equipment.  I hunt public lands so the turkeys are usually very well educated.  Very Happy

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”   Will Rogers

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
falcon

Male Number of posts : 1255
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Spring is comin turkeys are talkin   March 17th 2015, 7:55 am

Used to be a serious turkey hunter.  In the 60s and 70s i killed numerous gobblers using old small caliber muzzleloaders.   One of those guns fired a patched number one buckshot.   Another  had been  re-bored and re-rifled to .35 caliber.   The old gunsmith who did the work was a friend of my Dad and Grand Dad.  He made the round ball mold using a ball bearing. 

OK has oodles of turkeys.  Don't turkey hunt anymore because we don't eat them and no one wants an undressed turkey.  

In OK it's legal to bait deer but illegal to bait turkeys.  Getting  caught hog hunting near a feeder  in turkey season can be a big deal here. 

Taken at our place west of I-35:

http://illiweb.com/fa/pbucket.gif
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Al-53

Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2014-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Spring is comin turkeys are talkin   March 17th 2015, 8:18 am

Turkeys are like squirells here..every where...they hit my bird feeders daily...one morn I went to let dogs out and a tom was on the porch trying to get in the bag of bird food..scared me....

come spring its nothing to see flocks of 40-50 birds in the fields...I shot a few years ago but did not really like them...even tried smoking them in the smoke house...but I do like calling them...I sit in the yard and call and they come struttin in...

20 years ago it was rare to see a turkey here...the F&G tried many breeds to restock them...finally they found one that worked...they were from NY...they took off fast....

its funny watching a big Tom horny as a 3 peckered billy goat after a hen...fanning..struttin dancing...

last year was a good year..i had 3 hens coming to the yard and garden with their young...was nice to see the growth progress of the young...they love picking bugs off the veggies...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 4997
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Spring is comin turkeys are talkin   March 17th 2015, 8:28 am

I have never been able to tell the difference between breast meat on a wild turkey vs. a tame one. The legs are so tough on a wild turkey that they are only good for soup stock but fried turkey breast is delicious regardless of which bird it comes from. tongue 

I have never cared much about turkey hunting since the first time I went. I bought a cassette tape on turkey calling along with a box call, went to a public area at dawn and squawked on the call. Two jakes came up and I shot one. I was leaving 45 minutes after I arrived. I've never cared about it since. The only reason I go is there's nothing else to hunt this time of year.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Spring is comin turkeys are talkin   March 17th 2015, 9:18 am

Hunt without calling if you want a challenge. The same for elk hunting. No calling, no tree stands, no bait. Elk, deer, and bear. Now turkey.

Hunt for the game. Don't trick it.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokin' Joe
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Spring is comin turkeys are talkin   March 17th 2015, 9:49 am

Muley, that's very rewarding for someone that has time.   I don't have weeks to find and set up on the critter I'm after.  I usually have about 4 days in the field of fair chase when I head out on a trip.  I need to up the percentage in my favor just a little with a trick or two.   After all..... I'm not as smart as the quarry I'm chasing.  Very Happy

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”   Will Rogers

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Spring is comin turkeys are talkin   March 17th 2015, 10:11 am

I was talking to Bob. If the hunt is too easy. Make it harder.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokin' Joe
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Spring is comin turkeys are talkin   March 17th 2015, 10:17 am

Good point!

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 4997
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Spring is comin turkeys are talkin   March 17th 2015, 10:28 am

It's NOT that easy but it was the first time. I guess a person doesn't put much value on things that come too easy.IMO turkeys are so dumb that you can't figure them out. As crazy as it sounds, that makes them hard to hunt. scratch

It took me 4 years to kill my first deer and that hooked me for life.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Spring is comin turkeys are talkin   March 18th 2015, 7:13 am

@patocazador wrote:
It's NOT that easy but it was the first time. I guess a person doesn't put much value on things that come too easy.IMO turkeys are so dumb that you can't figure them out. As crazy as it sounds, that makes them hard to hunt. scratch

It took me 4 years to kill my first deer and that hooked me for life.

Turkeys can be either ridiculously easy to hunt or extremely wary.  I've seen both scenarios.  Because of the urbanization in Massachusetts, many turkeys I've seen are practically tame... even when I see them in the woods.  In contrast, the turkeys I've hunted in the wilds of Pennsylvania will take off like a bat-out-of-hell once they spot you.  For that reason I often hunted fall turkeys in PA with a scoped .22 magnum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Spring is comin turkeys are talkin   March 18th 2015, 8:58 am

Anytime i've seen them in the mountains they've been going the other way at full speed. I was always hunting for big game, and ignored them. I'm not sure if I can sneak up on them, or not. 

All my hunting is still hunting. I'm not sure it will work on turkeys. I need to get pretty close with primitive open sights.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lobo 1

PostSubject: Re: Spring is comin turkeys are talkin   March 18th 2015, 10:54 am

I killed my first turkey many many years ago back when turkeys were very scarce her in Michigan. I called it in with a box call and shot him with my Browning 12ga 3" mag.

A lot has changed over the years, we have more turkeys now and we have both a spring and fall hunt. Another change..for me anyhow is HOW I take a turkey. The equipment I use and the bird I choose. Young birds (Jakes) are not much of a challenge. An old Gobbler on the other hand 3 years or so old can be very challenging to hunt. An older bird that has been hunted and survived a few seasons can become wary of decoys and calling. I enjoy matching wits with such a bird and if I'm successful in taking him, he'll go on my wall so I can look at him and reminisce about the hunt.

It doesn't matter to me how anyone else hunts or what weapon they choose, if they're having fun that's what it's all about.. As for me, the more the challenge the more I like it. Lately I've been using a wing bone call. It takes a little bit to get the knack but when that old bird responds it's quite a thrill.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spring is comin turkeys are talkin   

Back to top Go down

Spring is comin turkeys are talkin
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: