View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Admin

Male Number of posts : 14277
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Bought a nice one! Not a CVA this time   March 31st 2015, 10:36 pm

Not sure exactly what it is, but someone on a forum said it could be a TVM kit build. Very pretty wood and overall it looks to be in good shape. We'll see what she is when it comes in. It is a .50cal percussion.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Number of posts : 3711
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Bought a nice one! Not a CVA this time   April 1st 2015, 6:11 am

Cool
Cool looking stock Jon.......... :tup2

Ray......... :rtup

w/ Redfield Revolution 4x12 Scope
CVA Accura V2 SS/TH with Black Stock
w/ Redfield Revolution 4 x12 Scope.
KEEPEM IN THE "X" RING   

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonC
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 718
Registration date : 2013-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Bought a nice one! Not a CVA this time   April 1st 2015, 8:26 am

Nice looking rifle, Jon!
It looks a lot like my main rifle (mine is a flintlock), with about the same drop and a very similar finish. Yours is more "stripey" than mine by a small amount and I don't have a patch box. I am not certain of the origin of mine, but it has been suggested that it came from TVA.
Regardless of the source of yours, it is very, very nice.
Have fun with it!
Ton

patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 4959
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Bought a nice one! Not a CVA this time   April 1st 2015, 11:45 am

Not a CVA and not a Hawken, what's the world coming to? :laughing5

Nice-looking rifle. Is it a one-piece stock?
Move up to a flintlock next time, maybe.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonC
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Bought a nice one! Not a CVA this time   April 1st 2015, 1:41 pm

Bob,
Jon is still a young man finding his way in the world.
He has gone from CVA and "Hawken" to a full-stock Kentucky style. He will then move on to the higher echelons and calling of the rock lock crowd. Very Happy 
Ron

falcon

Male Number of posts : 1249
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Bought a nice one! Not a CVA this time   April 2nd 2015, 1:27 pm

Jon, that is a very nice rifle.   Now do some magic on the gun.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Huntin_Dawg1215

Number of posts : 391
Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Bought a nice one! Not a CVA this time   April 2nd 2015, 7:37 pm

Yes Jon- do that do that you do.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 3237
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Bought a nice one! Not a CVA this time   April 3rd 2015, 1:29 pm

Beautiful grain pattern on that stock FG.  I'm guessing you plan to re-finish it to your liking Question
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Bought a nice one! Not a CVA this time   April 3rd 2015, 1:56 pm

Oh i dont know about that Marty. I really hate touching stocks that has carving as its a pain in the butt. We'll see when it gets here. I like the color as it is.
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 3237
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Bought a nice one! Not a CVA this time   April 4th 2015, 7:39 am

I agree...its honey color looks nicely aged.  Perhaps just a hardware make-over.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonC
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Bought a nice one! Not a CVA this time   April 4th 2015, 8:29 am

Here is another opinion agreeing that the stock color looks great in that light color!
It really is attractive.
Ron

FrontierGander
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Bought a nice one! Not a CVA this time   April 7th 2015, 7:34 pm

wow its a nice one! The wood looks even better in person. The browning steel I plan on redoing as its a real textured rusting pattern but no biggy, ive gotten good at that. Has a Siler lock, double set triggers and the set trigger has real wide and just feels good when you pull back on it. A very nicely done rifle overall. The rifling is in the .010-.012" range as its very deep.

I'll pull the barrel and see if I can find any markings. It seems like a 7/8" barrel. Never know till you measure.

What was originally thought to be brass... was.... Not brass! Its all steel trim and the ramrod pipes and the nose cap were left in the white but polished nicely that they took on an aged look that gave it the look of brass.

No markings on the trigger or the barrel. The barrel could easily have had it removed if someone didnt want all the stamping on it.

Just finished wiping the stock with frog lubed and used 0000 steel wool to help cut some of the age old grime off. Looks a ton better.
Back to top Go down
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9492
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Bought a nice one! Not a CVA this time   April 7th 2015, 7:38 pm

I never thought the trigger guard was brass, because it's rusty. How long is the barrel? Hows the bore?

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Bought a nice one! Not a CVA this time   April 7th 2015, 7:52 pm

never said the trigger guard but the nose cap, and the ramrod pipes. They looked brass. I looked at the barrel and saw shiny, so I used a small blade and peeled off a thin layer of what looks like truoil! That explained the golden color on the steel/silver.

Bore looks good so far. I am having a hard time getting the nipple out so I have the bore soaking in PB penetrating oil.

Barrel is 36" length and 7/8" wide.
Back to top Go down
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9492
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Bought a nice one! Not a CVA this time   April 7th 2015, 8:03 pm

Lets hope it's a shooter.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Bought a nice one! Not a CVA this time   April 7th 2015, 8:05 pm

I hope!

The wood is even better now that I buffed it down. It just pops right out at you.
Back to top Go down
Al-53

Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2014-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Bought a nice one! Not a CVA this time   April 7th 2015, 8:15 pm

Jon..gets some new pictures up...thats a sharp looking rifle...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Bought a nice one! Not a CVA this time   April 7th 2015, 8:18 pm

got the nipple out! WHEW!! I had that gut sick feeling of the nipple just going... SNAP!

Will do! Hopefully I'll have some pictures up by tomorrow.

Its a jeep day tomorrow. Got the new gear box and shaft all ready to put in after modding the shock mount today.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Bought a nice one! Not a CVA this time   April 7th 2015, 11:00 pm

I'll get some better ones when the rifle is all put together and I can take it outside.

Back to top Go down
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 4959
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Bought a nice one! Not a CVA this time   April 8th 2015, 6:55 am

Wood looks great and the nose piece and ferrules do look like brass in the photo.

I'm not real crazy about the squared-off trigger guard though.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Bought a nice one! Not a CVA this time   April 8th 2015, 1:18 pm

well with a peewee load of 60 grains 2f Olde Eynsford, .020" patch lubed with birchwood casey no 77 bore cleaner and a .490" round ball, it loads super easy and smooth. Theres some discoloration in the muzzle the first 2" but no pitting. I got it in time it seems! Rifle is a real pleasure to shoot. I did a 2" 5 shot group @ 50 on my range bench which just has a forward rest along with 30 MPH wind gusts. Next time I will try my lube and slow down my shooting. Shes shooting about 6" low but I saw that the front sight hasn't been touched so, I may be the first shooter with this rifle since it was built.

Sights work great for my eyes, trigger weight is awesome and just where I like it.

Will get pictures late this evening when the sun goes down and I get less glare. Hopefully.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Bought a nice one! Not a CVA this time   April 9th 2015, 6:13 pm

Back to top Go down
Huntin_Dawg1215

Number of posts : 391
Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Bought a nice one! Not a CVA this time   April 9th 2015, 7:23 pm

Jon- Checked out those photo's. And that is the do that you do. Very nice job and a now a very nice looking rifle.
Dawg
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Bought a nice one! Not a CVA this time   April 10th 2015, 4:27 pm

well I first did 2 shots with mink oil which was horrible, the fouling it left behind I am sure was causing the patches to tear as I had to go inside and grab my stainless steel range rod. Next 3 I swapped out the mink oil for the lube I make and that was a huge difference maker and my group was more than acceptable! Recovered patches were also all in tact and no holes.

I was very surpised at how nice the recoil was with 80gr 2fg olde eynsford. It doesnt cut into my shoulder like my other kentucky which makes you cringe.
Back to top Go down
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Number of posts : 3711
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Bought a nice one! Not a CVA this time   April 10th 2015, 5:35 pm

cheers
Nice Jon. Great job Exclamation Exclamation That 3 shot group wasn't shabby at all. nono nono

Ray........ :rtup

w/ Redfield Revolution 4x12 Scope
CVA Accura V2 SS/TH with Black Stock
w/ Redfield Revolution 4 x12 Scope.
KEEPEM IN THE "X" RING   

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bought a nice one! Not a CVA this time   

Back to top Go down

Bought a nice one! Not a CVA this time