HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

getting an aged dark grey patina look on barrel

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
cowboys1062

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2015-02-15

PostSubject: getting an aged dark grey patina look on barrel   April 5th 2015, 6:53 am

I have a muzzleloader barrel that I want to put an aged dark grey patina look to it. It still has some of the bluing left on it that I want to remove first. Can anyone give me suggestions on how to get the old bluing off and what I need to do to get the desired aged gray patina look on the barrel? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. cowboys1062. headslap
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9492
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: getting an aged dark grey patina look on barrel   April 5th 2015, 7:45 am

I asked this question on another forum about getting the grey old look. Bluing can be removed with bluing remover. The old look can be done like this.

Muley,
If you get me an email address I'll send some pics, unfortunately I don't post. The way I do it you will need; PVC tube long and large enough to hold your barrel with a fixed cap on one end and a loose cap on the other. Cold blue, 44-40 if you can get it, clorox bleach, scotch brite pads and 0000 steel wool. Once you have finished your barrel contour and cleaned it up, plug the muzzle and any openings at the breech, wipe it down good with alcohol and try not to handle it. Put a good coat of cold blue on the barrel and put it into the PVC tube and fill the tube with bleach, cover the entire barrel. Leave it in the bleach 25 minutes and when you pull it out you should have a scale all over the barrel which you will scrub off with the scotch brite or steel wool. Once it is cleaned of scale and dried re blue it again and when that coat is dry scrub it back with a new scotch brite pad. If the depth of the aging and the color is not enough you can go back with more blue and soak it again. The 25 minute bath gives it a grayish aged look that I like a lot. It's a simple process that can be done in a couple of hours.
Mark

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cowboys1062

PostSubject: Re: getting an aged dark grey patina look on barrel   April 5th 2015, 8:43 am

Muley, thanks for the reply. I will see what I can do. cowboys1062
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cowboys1062

PostSubject: Re: getting an aged dark grey patina look on barrel   April 7th 2015, 2:35 am

I ended up stripping off the old bluing with some BC's Blue&Rust Remover. I then went over the barrel with some 0000 steel wool. I then applied some BC's Super Blue and used the steel wool to bring it back to a grey in color. I then mixed some vinegar and mustard together and applied that onto the barrel and let it set for a couple of hours until it was dried on. Took a washcloth and wiped away the vinegar&mustard combination. The barrel was then a dark grey in color. I took some 0000 steel wool and brought it back to the color of grey that I was looking for. The barrel now has that nice even aged grey patina look that I was hoping for. Muley thanks for the info! Last thing I did was to put a thin coat of gun oil on her and put it away. cowboys1062.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9492
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: getting an aged dark grey patina look on barrel   April 7th 2015, 7:07 am

Pics?

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: getting an aged dark grey patina look on barrel   

Back to top Go down

getting an aged dark grey patina look on barrel
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: