Share | 

Need help with my new CVA Accura V2

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Illinoisboy

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2015-05-29

PostSubject: Need help with my new CVA Accura V2   May 29th 2015, 8:26 pm

Hi all! New here. I saw there was a discussion about someone elk hunting with their new cva in colorado and mentioned you can't use pellets or sabots. Well I'm deer hunting in IL and I can use whatever goes bang! I just got the new Accura V2 with the nitride. Looks damn good and hope it shoots that way. I need help with what loads and what powder to use. I've also used pellets for the ease. I guess I'm not opposed to powder if it's that much better but If it's comparably close I'd probably rather stick to the pellets. So please, what powder and what bullets? Thanks for your insight!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Number of posts : 3704
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Need help with my new CVA Accura V2   May 29th 2015, 9:30 pm

WELCOME to the forum. Glad to have another member from the same state jump on board.......
Knowing the members on this forum I'm sure your going to get many replies. There a good guys here and they are always willing to help out.
Best way for me is to show you what I use.........Go to the SHOOTING RANGE SECTION and then scroll down to the range report for 4-4-2015 and 4-11-2015. By doing so you'll see a few different bullets and what powder and primers I use. It will also mention different sabots used and there's no swabbing the barrel between shots. I know that BH 209 is expensive but THERE'S NO SWABBING BETWEEN SHOTS and ACCURACY is second to NONE. They were shot from the 100 yard bench. 
Check it out and you'll get a little info from it I'm sure. Good luck Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Ray...........

You can always send me a PM if you have any questions.

KEEPEM IN THE " 10 " RING   

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RickAz

Male Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2013-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Need help with my new CVA Accura V2   May 30th 2015, 9:43 am

Also, welcome aboard.  I bought my first ML a little over a year ago with no experience with muzzleloaders.  I spent a few months reading this forum before pulling the trigger on a new optima SS from Carlos at Ed's Gun Shop, (in the classified section).  I also had planned on using pellets for ease.  Reading this forum changed my mind and I shoot Blackhorn 209 exclusively.  No swabbing, very accurate, cleans the same as your cf's, and after a few hundred rounds down range not one problem.   You just have to install the BH 209 breech plug.  Here in Arizona, like your state, pretty much anything goes.  I use the Harvester PT Gold 260 or 300 gr pills with either smooth black EZ load sabots, or the Black Crushed ribs with the 300 grainers.  PT Golds are less expensive and will do anything I need them to do.  I have experimented with different charges and 110 gr by volume seems to be the most accurate load for my rifle.  I pre load Lanes tubes, (also in the classified section here), before going to the range or into the field.  Makes it easy, just pour the powder down the spount and ram the projectile home.  I am still a novice but you will find the guys on this forum have a lot of knowedge and are very willing to share it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Illinoisboy

PostSubject: Re: Need help with my new CVA Accura V2   May 30th 2015, 9:57 am

Thanks for the info. I've never measured powder so does anyone have any suggestions on what brand and model of measurer? Also, does cva carry a breach plug with nitride? All I saw were the stainless ones?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Illinoisboy

PostSubject: Re: Need help with my new CVA Accura V2   May 30th 2015, 10:11 am

Nevermind I found the breech plug! Now I just need help with what to buy to measure it. Also, I've read I should use a nylon bore brush to clean it. Is that true or can I use a regular bore brush? And then does everyone use bore butter? Sorry I'm a rookie!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Klondike Jim

Male Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2015-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Need help with my new CVA Accura V2   May 30th 2015, 10:25 am

I too am fairly new to muzzleloading. Like you I asked lots of questions here and got a lot of good info.  I did go with the BH209 because of no need to clean between shots.  For faster reloading and the ease of loading, get some Lane's tubes from another member if this site.  You pre measure you BH209 and good to go.  I use a standard bore brush for cleaning mine.  There is a section on here about cleaning and all that stuff to.  And you will also hear the name Carlos used a lot here, use him for info and supplies.  Great guy.  Enjoy..

CVA Accura V2 .50 Cal. W/Nitride Barrel, Thumbhole stock and Fiber Optic Sights
Retired United States Air Force
Life Member Disabled American Veterans 
Life Member North American Hunting Club
and last but not least Grandfather 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
biddler2

Male Number of posts : 609
Registration date : 2011-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Need help with my new CVA Accura V2   May 30th 2015, 12:13 pm

With BH209 you can weigh or go by volume. It takes more than a .5 grain difference to make a big difference. I would even say being of by 2-3 grains won't make much of a difference under 150 yards. With that being said I use a Frankford Arsenal scale I bought on Amazon for less that $25 and it works well. I also have a Hornady Lock N Load electronic powder dispenser and it works also and is within a .1 of the other. Just remember that 100 grains by volume is 70 grains by weight. A weighed 100 grain charge would be equivalent to a 143 grain volume charge which is more than the rifle is rated for even if it says it can shoot 150 grain pellet charges. 
For loads I use 77 grains weighed of BH209 and several different projectiles in the 250-325 range with the harvester smooth black or if .458 diameter I use the mmp Orange sabot. For shots under a 100 yards the XTP series is good as fairly cheap, the PT Golds are great and can be stretched out further and are cheap through Ed's. If you look around in the projectile and shooting range section you will find plenty of answers. 
For cleaning nylon is suggested but most don't believe brass would have a major effect on the nitride coating. It should be tougher than the brush. If you use BH209 any CF cleaner will work just fine. As for the bore butter it would not be nessecary with your rifle and in most situations will create issues. It retains moisture which will lead to rust. 
Welcome to the forum.

Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9492
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Need help with my new CVA Accura V2   May 30th 2015, 1:19 pm

@Illinoisboy wrote:
Hi all! New here. I saw there was a discussion about someone elk hunting with their new cva in colorado and mentioned you can't use pellets or sabots. 

Yes, you can if you use the muzzleloader in rifle seasons.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GregK

Male Number of posts : 3056
Registration date : 2012-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Need help with my new CVA Accura V2   May 30th 2015, 2:12 pm

Hi & welcome to the forum. If you haven't gotten your breech plug, I would recommend a Western Powders breech plug over the CVA plug. They ARE NOT the same. Loose powder......BH209 is the way to go. 90 to 110 grains (by volume) is going to be your window for load development. I use 78.1 grains (weighed) which is equal to 110gr by volume

As for bullets, I would recommend Hornady Monoflex 250 grain or a Barnes TEZ 250 grain. The trick will be which sabot to use. My Accura MR loves the Mono in 458 diameter in the orange MMP 458x50 sabot. They also make a 452 diameter Mono in 250gr & your gun may like the red Hornady sabot, the black Crush Rib, or the black EZ Load sabot. The Barnes will require the same sabot testing.Testing at the range is the only way to find out your guns personal preference.

The very best thing you can do is call Carlos at Eds Gun Shop & talk with him. He has EVERYTHING you will need & really knows what he's talking about. You WON'T find a better person to deal with.

The number is 910-692-7936

McRem 40cal SML

LEUPOLD 4-12X40 VX-R 30mm, CDS, FIRE DOT
CEB 40/240, 76gr IMR 4895
2600 ft/s

CVA APEX .358 SML & .45 ML
LUEPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R CDS, FIRE DOT, WIND PLEX

Knight Mountainer LTD
45cal / 1-20 twist
LEUPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R 30mm WIND PLEX CDS FIREDOT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14399
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Need help with my new CVA Accura V2   June 1st 2015, 7:57 pm

Powder: Blackhorn209
Primers: CCI 209 Magnum, Federal 209a, Winchester W209. These are the best performers with BH209
Bullets, its an endless list! The above loads offered by the other guys are all great choices, especially the 260 and 300gr PT Gold bullets.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need help with my new CVA Accura V2   

Back to top Go down

Need help with my new CVA Accura V2
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: