Share | 

honest info on a muzzleloader

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
muzz

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2015-07-12

PostSubject: honest info on a muzzleloader   July 12th 2015, 6:40 pm

Im looking at getting back into muzzleloading. Its been a few years and im looking for an inline rifle. Im thinking of the accura or he wolf. Im not impressed with having to order a shim kit for the firing pin thingy. But if the gun is all its wrapped up to be its not a big deal. But that stuff should come with the gun as well as a 209 breech. Any way for 200 to 250 dollars is there a better gun to get? or what would you get?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GregK

Male Number of posts : 3056
Registration date : 2012-01-22

PostSubject: Re: honest info on a muzzleloader   July 12th 2015, 8:12 pm

The answer to your question is NO. For that kind of money & even for more you won't get a better rifle.
If you order your gun from Carlos at Ed's Gun Shop 910-692-7936 he will discuss your setup, shim the firing pin & install the BH209 plug (not the CVA model) You will get the best price & service from Carlos.....period!!!

My suggestion would be an Optima for a little bit more, then an Accura V2, then up to an Accura MR. The top of the line is the APEX.
The Optima is a step above entry level & a very good shooter. If you can use a scope then I would recommend a thumbhole stock model.

Hope this helps, Greg

McRem 40cal SML

LEUPOLD 4-12X40 VX-R 30mm, CDS, FIRE DOT
CEB 40/240, 76gr IMR 4895
2600 ft/s

CVA APEX .358 SML & .45 ML
LUEPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R CDS, FIRE DOT, WIND PLEX

Knight Mountainer LTD
45cal / 1-20 twist
LEUPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R 30mm WIND PLEX CDS FIREDOT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14399
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: honest info on a muzzleloader   July 12th 2015, 9:08 pm

Damn hard to find a new modern inline that can compete with the wolf or optima for $250!

The head space shimming is a tune up which really makes it a much cleaner set up. Even with TC muzzies, if you use a shorter primer, they get real dirty inside the action. On the CVA, its a whole lot easier to seal up and keep it sealed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Clyde

Number of posts : 348
Registration date : 2011-11-27

PostSubject: Re: honest info on a muzzleloader   July 14th 2015, 5:09 am

Get the Wolf great trigger.  Get the BH 209 plug from Carlos and try the blue box Winchester 209 primers you may not need the shim kit I did not.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hdvades

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2015-03-05

PostSubject: Re: honest info on a muzzleloader   July 14th 2015, 10:12 am

I second the Wolf if you're on a budget. I have one...everyone laughs at my cheap Wolf until we start shooting. Yes it's only three of us, but my Wolf outshoots their T/C, Knight and Tradition inlines. The trigger is surprisingly great and it's easy to clean. The Optima is a nice upgrade from the Wolf for a few more bucks too.

ps...I keep wanting a Nitride Accura MR too, but every season I pull this out, it always goes bang and is very accurate for the distances I hunt in woods and adjacent corn fields. Then I say to myself...when my kid gets old enough to hunt in a few years, I'll give him the Wolf and then I'll part with some $$$ and get a new CVA inline.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tony

Male Number of posts : 571
Registration date : 2011-04-26

PostSubject: Re: honest info on a muzzleloader   July 14th 2015, 10:41 am

My family (big family) has 7 optimas.  I can tell you without question, that these guns will shoot.  I am thoroughly impressed with how much gun you get for the price.  Great trigger, great breech plug, stainless steel and a good lookin rig to boot.  I have an Encore and an Accura MR and I promise you, you couldn't tell the difference between them and the Optima as far as accuracy and reliability goes.

Harvester Smooth Sabot
100 gr. BH209-Win 209 Primer

Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x40 CDS
Back to top Go down
View user profile
muzz

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2015-07-12

PostSubject: Re: honest info on a muzzleloader   July 15th 2015, 8:29 pm

Thanks all, Budget yes. Wanting a good reliable gun that's accurate. I have read good things about the wolf.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: honest info on a muzzleloader   

Back to top Go down

honest info on a muzzleloader
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: