Share | 

NY hunting regulation question...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
hdvades

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2015-03-05

PostSubject: NY hunting regulation question...    August 17th 2015, 3:30 pm

I just got my license and it now states that you must have a muzzleloader privilege to hunt with a muzzleloader during the regular firearms deer season. I don't recall that in previous years. Is this something new or has it always been like that?

Last edited by hdvades on August 18th 2015, 5:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5096
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: NY hunting regulation question...    August 17th 2015, 3:53 pm

They did that here in Fla. with deer, archery and turkey. It was just a way to generate more revenue. An extra $5 per "stamp".
Luckily, I'm exempt because I'm over 65.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Remi

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2014-02-18

PostSubject: Re: NY hunting regulation question...    August 17th 2015, 6:00 pm

We pay an extra 16 for the privilege here in NH - no additional tag for it; it gets you hunting 10 days before rifle season but you'd have to use your rifle tag if you are successful... The benefit is you get out before the rifle crowd so it's worth it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14398
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: NY hunting regulation question...    August 17th 2015, 7:05 pm

dang, pay more for less shots per minute?!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
JIMYJAC

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2015-07-15

PostSubject: Re: NY hunting regulation question...    August 18th 2015, 9:08 am

Read last years regulations booklet, call the DEC and ask them. I teach hunter safety and things in this state change so fast I refer everyone to DEC. I know the license purchase is now that you have to purchase each individual one. You can thank Uncle Andy for that. Since the change license purchase has declined an average of approx 30 percent. Give a politician his way and they will ruin everything in time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dantheman

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2015-01-13

PostSubject: Re: NY hunting regulation question...    August 18th 2015, 10:12 am

@hdvades wrote:
I just got my license and it now states that you must have a muzzleloader privilege to hunt with a muzzleloader during the regular firearms deer season. I don't recall that in previous years. Is this something new or has it always been like that?

In NYS, one has always needed a muzzle loading stamp (past) or tag (current) to hunt during muzzle loading season. Previously the muzzle loading tag allowed one to take a deer of any sex during muzzle loading season which follows regular big game season . This year the DEC has changed that and has restricted what sex deer one may shoot during muzzle loading season depending in what zone one will be hunting.
                                                                                                                                                      Dan
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Landngroove

Male Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2013-12-05

PostSubject: Re: NY hunting regulation question...    August 18th 2015, 4:08 pm

@dantheman wrote:
@hdvades wrote:

In NYS, one has always needed a muzzle loading stamp (past) or tag (current) to hunt during muzzle loading season. Previously the muzzle loading tag allowed one to take a deer of any sex during muzzle loading season which follows regular big game season . This year the DEC has changed that and has restricted what sex deer one may shoot during muzzle loading season depending in what zone one will be hunting.
                                                                                                                                                      Dan
Was't the question about hunting with a muzzleloader during the regular firearms season ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hdvades

PostSubject: Re: NY hunting regulation question...    August 18th 2015, 4:27 pm

1. Yes Dan, I know we have always had to get a muzzleloading license to hunt the late season here in the southern zone, and here, where I hunt in 3M, there are antlerless only restrictions for that season this year (also for the first 15 days in early archery). My question is that now, it states on pg 14 of the regulation book, and there is a note in the Muzzleloading Privilege section that says you must purchase this also to hunt deer (and bear) during the regular season. I know some people that used inlines during the regular seasons in the past and they have never purchased the $15.00 muzzleloading tag because they didn't hunt the late muzzleloader season. The way I read it now, they will now have to if they choose to use any kind of muzzleloader during the regular firearms season. So, my question is has it always been that way or is this something new this year. I threw away last year's rule book and it's not viewable on DEC's site since it is obsolete.

Last edited by hdvades on August 18th 2015, 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dantheman

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2015-01-13

PostSubject: Re: NY hunting regulation question...    August 18th 2015, 6:46 pm

I live and hunt in 3M also...antlerless only for us now during muzzle loading season which sucks.

Cuomo will do anything to collect a fee, won't he. Years ago one purchased a stamp and did not get any extra tags. I always believed that the stamp allowed one to hunt during the special season and that's why it needed to be purchased. After all, it's not like the state provides any special training or testing as they do for Archery.

You're asking an excellent question that I cannot give you a certain answer to. I'd call the local DEC office and ask. 

Dan
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hdvades

PostSubject: Re: NY hunting regulation question...    November 16th 2015, 8:54 am

Just a heads up...it is true that during the 2013-14 season and earlier, you could hunt deer during regular season using either a muzzle loader or bow without having to purchase additional tags. I located a rule book from that year. That was the also last year of the Super Sportsman license.

If you know someone who has been using their muzzle loader (or bow) in the past during regular deer season and plan on doing so this year, be sure to let them know they now have to have the additional tag.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WV Hunter

Male Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2012-12-28

PostSubject: Re: NY hunting regulation question...    November 16th 2015, 9:28 am

Wow, that is crazy. I can see having to buy a tag for an addl or different season, but not for a season you already have a tag for....just so they can get some addl $.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NY hunting regulation question...    

Back to top Go down

NY hunting regulation question...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: