Share | 

Carbon in the BP

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
biddler2

Male Number of posts : 609
Registration date : 2011-11-14

PostSubject: Carbon in the BP   Fri 11 Sep - 18:46

My brothers friend has a CVA Wolf that he has had some trouble getting to shoot good. So he brought it over to me and I'm going through it. Plan on giving it the "Frontier Muzzleloading Special".  First up was the BP which was caked with 209 fouling to the point it ran the full length of the BP the size of the flash hole. This is what I suspect is the biggest issue. I got it cleaned up using some smaller bits and finished with a #32 bit spun by hand. Next up was installing an o-ring as the do not have a shim kit. I will have him order one from Ed's. 
He has done a good job of keeping the bore clean so nothing to do there. He also has been using BH209 which is great. Tomorrow I will be taking it to the range to see what sabot it likes with the PT Golds and Barnes 250 TEZ. Lastly I showed him Lanes powder tubes for his BH209. 
Overall I think when he sees what his Wolf will do he will be happy. He will be getting a hold of Carlos when he gets back from vacation to get some supplies. Thanks again guys for all of the help and information provided from Frontier Muzzleloading!

Clyde

Number of posts : 348
Registration date : 2011-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Carbon in the BP   Sat 12 Sep - 7:46

Which breech plug is it ?  The CVA one or the Western Powder one with the concave front ?  I bought the latter from Carlos it brings the powder much closer to the primer it also comes with a special bit that has the tip sharpened to a point that gets that last little bit of gunk out.  I also use a weld tip cleaner just to make sure the hole is free of obstruction but you have to be gentle with that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
biddler2

Male Number of posts : 609
Registration date : 2011-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Carbon in the BP   Sat 12 Sep - 9:17

It is the standard CVA BP, he had been using a tip cleaner on the flash hole but nothing on the other side. If he was going to shoot more than a few times a year I would have him get the WP plug. He is mostly just a hunter and he thought it was a 50-75 yard gun because it was the Wolf. After today I think that will change!

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Carbon in the BP   

Back to top Go down

Carbon in the BP
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: