AuthorMessage
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1141
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: GRRW [Green River Rifle Works]    October 27th 2015, 2:52 pm

GRRW [Green River Rifle Works]

In association with "The Green River Gazette" the "GRRW Collectors Association" will provide its members and others with like interest known information about the Green River Rifle Works. This research of the GRRW guns and related stories of their use, as well as searching for those guns sitting in closets or hanging on someone's wall.

A fun project would be to make a register of known guns, serial numbers, models, original owners, and the current owner. This may shed some light on where and how many have survived since the 70's & 80's.

We will look at the original guns copied by Doc White & studied for several years before going into production. His venture was about the history as well as making the best reproduction firearm possible, detail, detail, detail.

We the members of the GRRW clan are a group of collectors, interested parties, and folks that remember and still dream of the days when this company was still in operation. GRRW was the gun to carry in the reenactor groups and considered the best reproduction rifle available at the time. Price, workmanship and correctness compared to originals really appealed to everyone. Custom guns were available but the price was double a GRRW and how well they performed was always a question when compared to the GRRW guns.

Those interested in joining the fun and getting a FREE Quarterly Newsletter - "The Green River Gazette" taht provides interesting information about these guns and related stories of their owners and being used can contact Bob Allen. Bob is the editor of the Gazette and his contact is a simple one, all he need is your email address. In turn he will send you back issues of the newsletter for the asking - ALL FREE. Come and join the fun.
Mr. Bob Allen is the editor that produces the Green River Gazette, if interested in his ramblings send your email address to receive a free quarterly newspaaper. Don't forget to ask Bob for back issues of the Gazette, he'll be happy to meet your request.

Bob's email address is: Robert Allen bob@bucksnorttrading.com don't forget to add this address to your address book in your email system.

Last edited by conner on November 5th 2015, 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: GRRW [Green River Rifle Works]    October 27th 2015, 9:22 pm

Those interested in getting a FREE Quarterly Newsletter - "The Green River Gazette" that provides interesting information about the GRRW guns. In turn he will send you back issues of the newsletter for the asking - ALL FREE. Bob's email address is: Robert Allen bob@bucksnorttrading.com don't forget to add this address to your address book in your email system.

Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14399
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: GRRW [Green River Rifle Works]    November 4th 2015, 12:07 am

Is GRRW still in production or just trying to keep the memory and good times alive? I was looking through the pics and really like their style.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: GRRW [Green River Rifle Works]    November 4th 2015, 8:45 am

@FrontierGander wrote:
Is GRRW still in production or just trying to keep the memory and good times alive? I was looking through the pics and really like their style.

The firm was closed around or before 2000, just the good times remembered. Then Bob Allen and Phil Meeks (GRRW Collectors) started answering questions on what they knew about the guns on the Internet. Then they got me involved as I was one of the early dealers that was still alive. Bob started the "Green River Gazette" with articles about the GRRW firm. Doc White (gentleman that started GRRW) lives about 2 hours away from here (have know him since early 70's). The wife's first cousin was Doc's pardoner in White Rifle firm (in-line muzzleloaders). Steve now owns the company and is getting ready to reopen shortly.

That said, and what I know about Doc's doings along with several of the GRRW gunsmiths still living in the Roosevelt UT area. Two of those gunsmiths asked if someone of over 100 interested parties that get the "Green River Gazette" would like to share memories of using, dealing with GRRW. Having early experience with the firm I built a website under an old domain name I had not been used for years.

NOW having a newsletter, a website what's next?

FREE newsletter by supplying Bob Allen your email address at :  bob@bucksnorttrading.com
  don't forget to add this address to your address book in your email system.

A website built using an old domain name I hadn't used for several years.

The project was now started with the involvement of the Gazette membership.

Now several of the members asked if there was any thing done on hats, shirts, decals, etc. Bob jumped in with "T" shirts that are now sold-out but may come available again down the road.

I was asked if we knew anyone (a firm) that could make embroidered hats, caps and so on. I started looking at what was available, most firms want you to purchase a dozen plus items, pay setup fees, etc. I didn't need a full time job, gave it some thought with a want list from the firm picked. [I wanted: No Inventory, No collecting money for hats, No shipping of hats, No involvement with ordering, etc.]  My wife remarked "Good luck with that" .... After several firms laughing at me I found a very nice lady in Parker CO that would meet my desires (needs). She sent me a sample hat and was as good or better quality than hats selling in the $16.99 to $19.99 price range.

To keep the cost down I ate the 'setup fee' which saved those interested in getting a hat of excellent quality a few bucks. * Plus they will put the 'GRRW' or 'GRRW Collector's Association' logo on anything they offer; decals, hats, shirts, jackets and so on. 

The cost for the hats either sized to what the customer wears or the standard 'one-size-fits-all' is $15.50 plus postage.

The hat idea seems to have taken off and I'm out of this project.

NEW PROJECT
Now we (myself and several GRRW gunsmiths) are looking at building a "GRRW - Roosevelt UT [CA]" the [CA] stands for 'Collector's Association' Hawken rifle. I'm now looking for individual parts of the quality used on the original GRRW guns. We don't know if there would be any interest in this project? I told Ron Paull (GRRW gunsmith) after the first of the year lets build one to show everyone and then build a "rifle kit" like GRRW also did when first starting business back in the late 60's. Time will tell if this one fly's ....

Back to top Go down
oldarcher

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2015-11-08

PostSubject: Re: GRRW [Green River Rifle Works]    November 8th 2015, 1:29 pm

I believe that interest exists for a quality kit / rifle from "GRRW". Remember that the interest for GRRW was that they really shot well, their choked barrels were the best available at the time, or at least that's what the people fortunate to have one would tell you.
There is an exciting new stock manufacturing technique being used by some enterprising folks that has incredible promise for the inexperienced rifle builder. In the past most stocks were made with a multi axis pantograph which does an acceptable job of getting a copy of the desired stock. It is dramatically better than what GRRW was shipping as it's kit stock...it was really just a shape with a barrel channel and ramrod hole, and required a good deal of skill to build a satisfactory rifle...It was so rough that GRRW stopped stamping it's kit barrels because so many were really butchered and they did not want their name on the end result that was terrible and they could not control.
The new stock technique uses a CNC machine which gives the builder incredible control of the end product. The stock is finished so well that it just requires light finish sanding to complete. Mr. Jim Kibler has a new Mountain rifle kit coming out using this system and it is great. You might want to check it out and see if you think it has application for your kit....In any event, I support your efforts as I still shoot a GRRW NOS Vincent that I built last year and am going to start building a NOS GRRW Hawken kit from the late 70's that is exactly the way it was shipped from the factory.  
Thank you for keeping GRRW alive in our hearts...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9492
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: GRRW [Green River Rifle Works]    November 8th 2015, 2:12 pm

I thought the full stock Hawken rifles were flintlocks?

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: GRRW [Green River Rifle Works]    November 8th 2015, 5:07 pm

@oldarcher wrote:
#1 .... It is dramatically better than what GRRW was shipping as it's kit stock...it was really just a shape with a barrel channel and ramrod hole, and required a good deal of skill to build a satisfactory rifle..

#2 ....It was so rough that GRRW stopped stamping it's kit barrels ... 

#3 ....new stock technique uses a CNC machine which gives the builder incredible control of the end product. The stock is finished so well that it just requires light finish sanding to complete. 

Thank you for keeping GRRW alive in our hearts...

#1. Let me clear a few items up here, in the early years they received all their stock from other sources. I talked to one of GRRW gunsmith this morning and he told me Doc White and Greg Roberts were always on the phone talking to the suppliers about this problem. They finally started making their own in about the middle of the time the business was in operation. This gentleman mentioned this several times and the extra amount of work to try and work around stock issues.

#2. There were only a few kits that were serial numbered in any of their kit guns, and not stamped GRRW on the barrels. The reason was not knowing how good the work in assembly was done by buyer. They felt they didn't want the GRRW name displayed according to the information I was told. Talked about this morning, funny how this popped up 4 hours later.

The wrong information that has come down through the years passed on how many times is unknown. That was one reason several of us old dealers and a few of the original GRRW gunsmith started this website associated with the Green River Gazette.

#3. I really do thank you for the reminder on CNC machines, I'll run this by several of the GRRW gunsmiths after Thanksgiving when we meet in Roosevelt UT for lunch. I bet this will be of interest of using a CNC machine. And what you said about only a mild finishing is very true. Ron Long (Long Locks) bought a well used CNC machine 25-30 years ago, rebuilt everything that was questionable. Then started copying stocks, metal parts and a beautiful set of ivory grips for my original S&W Model: 1875 #3 top break revolver.

I mentioned the Green River Gazette, let me share the latest copy with you on another posting and how you can get your free copy and also back issues.

Back to top Go down
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: GRRW [Green River Rifle Works]    November 8th 2015, 5:53 pm

Muley wrote:
I thought the full stock Hawken rifles were flintlocks?

Muley, they were available first at GRRW as percussion, with so many requests for flint it became available in short order. If you remember John Baird (Buckskin Report) wrote "there was never an original Hawken full stock flintlock". That turned GRRW employees and the nation's buck skinners out in force to find the "Holy Grail". It must of been several years and the first one was found in Smithsonian Museum in D.C. and just weeks later another found in the Philadelphia Museum of Fine Arts. They had these guns in their archives, never displayed. Charles E. Hanson, Jr. (Museum of the Fur Trade) really got tickled about this search. He always said "if someone says there wasn't one, in short order one will be found". Boy is that a "no shit" statement.

A good friend of yours truly stopped at my shop and showed us the first flint fullstock rifle (picture seen on the Internet with Greg Roberts shooting this gun) - "The GRRW version of the "Holy Grail".

Fun to remember what life was 30-40 years ago, the good times.

Back to top Go down
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1392
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: GRRW [Green River Rifle Works]    November 8th 2015, 6:03 pm

"... if someone says there wasn't one, in short order one will be found"."

I agree!

Can you post that pic here?

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: GRRW [Green River Rifle Works]    November 8th 2015, 6:46 pm

Pics of the Smithsonian Hawken - an 1850 era Sam Hawken built rifle.

As noted The Museum of the Fur Trade Quarterly, vol13, issue 4 , 1977 has an article on the Kennett Hawken (another 1850's era fullstock - it's in the School of the Ozarks) which includes info on and photos of the Smithsonian Hawken....they sell scanned copies of the article alone. The lock is clearly a converted flinter and all other signs point to the gun being originally a flint. The tacks on the wrist are part of a repair and the fore end cap is Schnabel shaped.

I'm still looking for the flint Hawkens.

Back to top Go down
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: GRRW [Green River Rifle Works]    November 8th 2015, 6:59 pm

When still working in the Gun Library at Cabelas one of the stores had a full stock percussion (conversion) rifle made by Samuel Hawken of St. Louis, Missouri, between 1849 and 1861. A letter (by noted collector/authority Rudyard Rapp) that accompanies the rifle states that it was purchased from the original Hawken gun shop in St. Louis by a member of the Kessel family of Ava, Illinois, and remained in the possession of the family for approximately 125 years until sold at a farm auction by descendants in 1980s.

AD STATED:
The rifle has a full octagon, .43 caliber, barrel with brass front sight and dove-tail mounted buckhorn rear sight. The top flat is stamped: "S. HAWKEN ST. LOUIS" in a single line on the top of the barrel. The rifle has a full length, wedge-fastened, maple stock with simple cheek-piece. The end cap, ramrod pipes, crescent buttplate and finger-spur trigger guard are brass. The rifle has adjustable, double-set, triggers and a hickory ramrod. Traces of a simple wild fowl engraving are visible on the lock-plate. Believed to have been a flintlock converted to percussion early on in its like.
BBL: 39 inch
Stock: walnut
Gauge: 43
Finish: brown
Grips:
Serial Number: NSN
Condition: Very good. The rifle barrel has an untouched, dark age patina with flash pitting around the bolster. The "S. HAWKEN ST. LOUIS" markings on the barrel are light but legible. The hammer and lock plate have heavy flash pitting (possibly from when being a flintlock). The stock is also in very good overall condition with a small chip in the toe of the butt plate. The stock has a dark stain or age patina that extends nearly to the lock and a lighter walnut finish from the lock to the endcap. The brass furniture has an attractive mustard yellow patina.  Many gun collectors desire to own a Hawken Rifle, so here is your opportunity!

$22,995.99

My boss is as bad a gun nut as myself, so we had the gun sent to our store. When viewing this gun, taking the lock off we both believe it was always a percussion gun. Even went to the trouble of having pictures taken of the area were the pan would have been, then blown up on a large screen, it was not a flintlock ever. Someone sold Cabelas a bill of goods.

Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: GRRW [Green River Rifle Works]    November 8th 2015, 7:05 pm

43cal? you would have figured since that Hawken rifle was so popular because it was the first big bore made for the west, they wouldnt have bothered with such tiny calibers?

Jim Bridgers rifle that was gifted to him in the 1850s was a tiny .41cal which just doesnt make sense IMO.
Back to top Go down
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1392
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: GRRW [Green River Rifle Works]    November 8th 2015, 7:50 pm

That is a pretty rifle. Thanks!

I might actually know this next one. 

My reading has told me why the Hatfields chose to call their .50 calibre 'squirrel guns.' 
The smaller round what said to be more accurate. Suitable for 'squirrels.'

In the late 1700's, after the Revolutionary War, lead and Black Powder were in short supply. 
Big game animals and men from the Indian Wars and the Revolution were no longer the main threat. 
Axes came? Big game fled. War was no longer primary. a .32 calibre (a fav) became the go to because...

Times were hard. Squirrel was tasty. Lead and powder was expensive and a .32 calibre ball could still put a man down if placed well. Pig and deer were also more than doable. With men digging out round balls from trees fired at squirrels? To 'chew' the lead back into shootable rounds? Rifles ,now, needed to be economical per shot.

They probably did not drop from .50 cal (and larger) directly to .32. 

Reasonable?

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: GRRW [Green River Rifle Works]    November 9th 2015, 7:41 am

After the disastrous defeat of General Arthur St. Claire in November 1791 by Indians in Ohio, the Army decided to raise three additional regiments. The government contracted with several gunmakers in the vicinity of Lancaster, Pennsylvania, to produce serviceable rifles. In all, over 3,000 rifles were ordered on the 1792 and 1794 contracts. Archival records show over 300 rifles were at the Harpers Ferry Armory at the time Meriwether Lewis was ordering his supplies. The 1792-94 contract rifles were full-stocked rifles with a 42" octagon barrel of .49 caliber. Most rifled guns were close to .50 caiber while smoothbore muskets could go as large as .72 caliber. I remember seeing several Hawken rifles and they were .52 caliber. if you wanted to shoot one you would need someone to make a mold.

A friend went to a demo of a group of historians shooting Mariano Medina's Hawken - referred to as a .50 caliber, but was found to be a .52 caliber (this is a late made firearm). They triple patched the ball, just so they could say it still worked (one shot). Seemed like a lot of trouble and taking the chance of distroying a piece of history.

This rifle had problems once it appeared in the museums (stolen 2-3 times) recovered then missing again. It has so many enlays it stands out like a sore thumb, it would not be a sellable piece if stolen again.  Jim Gorden owns this rifle now along with hundreds of others in his large collection.

Back to top Go down
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: GRRW [Green River Rifle Works]    November 9th 2015, 8:09 am

@FrontierGander wrote:
43cal? you would have figured since that Hawken rifle was so popular because it was the first big bore made for the west, they wouldnt have bothered with such tiny calibers?

Jim Bridgers rifle that was gifted to him in the 1850s was a tiny .41cal which just doesnt make sense IMO.

We have to remember the early guns were small bore, biggest badest animal these folks saw was a couple hundred pound black bear. The fur trade was east of the Mississippi in the early days when Hawken boys started in business. L&C Corp of Discovery came back telling of killing bears so large it would take several shooters many shots with the guns they had. Our government then pushed for development of the new found land (Westward Movement). Fur trappers like Joe Meek told suppliers they needed big bore rifles because of the grizzlies, Hawken's jumped on the new market with larger caliber firearms just like other had done.

Bridger's gun was a gift that came from an eastern admirer was the story read years ago, so being a smaller caliber makes senses.

Back to top Go down
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: GRRW [Green River Rifle Works]    November 13th 2015, 12:10 pm

Seems to be some interest in the GRRW Brand ....  The website is approaching 1,500 hits on the counter since first available on the Internet 10/20/15.

Now if we could uncover a few guns sitting in someone's closet or in the back of a gun safe or cabinet. Talk about 'hen's teeth' ......

http://furtradebooks.tripod.com/index.htm

Have to check with 'Threaded Dragon' on interest in hats, jackets, hoodie's and so-on with the GRRW logo.

http://www.threadeddragon.com/ 

Have meeting scheduled with a few of the gunsmiths of GRRW after Thanksgiving to talk about possibly making a few guns for the GRRW Collector's Association.

Later

Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: GRRW [Green River Rifle Works]    November 13th 2015, 12:13 pm

have they considered branching out to a muzzleloader company and seeing if someone would take over the building process with their own manf. items to keep the costs down?
Back to top Go down
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: GRRW [Green River Rifle Works]    November 13th 2015, 1:11 pm

These are the original guys that worked for GRRW in the day. The gunsmiths are thinking it would be neat to build the guns with their personal 'maker mark' like done originally. The markings on the barrel would be like the originals - GRRW  [CA] - the [CA] would stand for the GRRW Collector's Association, so it tells anyone interested these are new guns not someone trying to pass off new for old. Which several builders have tried to do, found to be phony markings when checked with several GRRW collectors. This is just in the thinking stages and who knows whether it will fly or not?

Lot's to consider; some lock makers, barrel makers, hardware providers have changed ownerships - several new companies are not making the quality of the original firms, now questionable. I told them the parts have to be as good or better to be successful in the production process.

I'll let you know after our meeting.

Last edited by conner on June 26th 2016, 8:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
oldarcher

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2015-11-08

PostSubject: Re: GRRW [Green River Rifle Works]    November 28th 2015, 7:26 pm

I just received my hat from Threaded Dragon and it is very nice and well worth the price...It is really the best hat that I have...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonC
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 794
Registration date : 2013-09-09

PostSubject: Re: GRRW [Green River Rifle Works]    November 28th 2015, 9:24 pm

Mr. Phil Meeks came over to my house to pick up some wood and metal files. He then regaled me with stories about GRRW muzzleloaders and his collection. I found his discussion very interesting, so I have emailed Robert Allen.
Also, I have a Neill Fields flintlock. My understanding is that he learned his muzzleloader building craft at GRRW.
Ron

conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: GRRW [Green River Rifle Works]    November 29th 2015, 9:20 am

I have heard the same thing about Neill, I'll ask Doc today, we are in touch about every other day working on a new project with him and several of the GRRW gunsmiths - GRRW related. Neill has moved away from being near-by - still in the area, still builds guns, only seen a few times a year according to Doc White.

On the "GRRW Collectors Association" website - http://furtradebooks.tripod.com/index.htm we have a link to Phil Meeks "GRRW Collector" site at - http://grrw.org/ he has done an excellent study on this firm.

Now is the time to order your GRRW Collectors Association hats, shirts, jackets, etc at: http://www.threadeddragon.com/

Back to top Go down
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: GRRW [Green River Rifle Works]    November 29th 2015, 9:25 am

@FrontierGander wrote:
have they considered branching out to a muzzleloader company and seeing if someone would take over the building process with their own manf. items to keep the costs down?

That is being discussed at this time (reason I've been off this site), Doc and the boys have me busy, once again. If successful you'll read about a new venture in a future article by Mike Nesbitt in 'Muzzleloader' magazine (got Mike hooked on our new idea). Very Happy

Back to top Go down
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: GRRW [Green River Rifle Works]    November 29th 2015, 9:32 am

@oldarcher wrote:
I just received my hat from Threaded Dragon and it is very nice and well worth the price...It is really the best hat that I have...

I told you guys "this firm has some great goods and do beautiful work, best that I have seen". When making this deal with this contact - setup with our design, they were the only one of a half dozen contacted that provided the: best quality, best price and I didn't have to have an inventory or collect funds, mailing, etc. - they took care of everything to keep the cost down to the buyer. Can beat that in business today. Check them out.

Thanks 'oldarcher' we just need to spread the word about these hats.

Back to top Go down
RonC
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 794
Registration date : 2013-09-09

PostSubject: Re: GRRW [Green River Rifle Works]    November 29th 2015, 10:30 am

Neill Fields had a fire at his shop this year and lost just about everything. It was sad to see photos of burned out equipment and soot covered barrels laying about. When I asked info, I was told that he is rebuilding and starting again.
Ron

conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: GRRW [Green River Rifle Works]    November 29th 2015, 11:16 am

Yes, Doc had mentioned this, don't know how far along Neill is with the rebuild?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GRRW [Green River Rifle Works]    

Back to top Go down

GRRW [Green River Rifle Works]
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Media-
Jump to: