View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5109
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: This one has me stumped ..   November 21st 2015, 6:01 pm

I invited a guy to go to a hunting area today and use my guest permit that the state issues with each permit. He called last night about 8:00 (my bedtime) and said he had screwed up his T/C Hawken .50 cal. just before dark. He said he had a no-fire and tried a couple of more caps without any results. So he tried to pull the patched .490 ball but broke off the ramrod even with the muzzle. I told him I could probably shoot it out by putting powder in the nipple area and use the CO2 discharger if that didn't work. "Just leave it alone, bring it in the morning and you can use one of my guns. We'll fix it afterwards", I said.

After hunting this morning I took the nipple out and the area under it was full of some liquid crap. He said that there were 3 bikers at his house when he called me and after he told them what I said, they voted on what to do. They said to put 'Falkenberry's Patch Lube' down the barrel and in the nipple area to lubricate everything and then it would shoot out easier. headslap
Anyway, when they put black powder in the nipple area it mixed with the powder and when fired (didn't fire) the slurry fused into a solid carbon plug. I saw this smooth solid mass where a hole should have been. I chipped out what I could to make some space and tried the CO2 discharger. It just discharged back at me indicated a fused plug into the barrel. I then tried some 4F black powder and a couple of caps and got zip.
I asked him what he or the bikers knew about muzzleloaders and they all had almost no experience with one. I told him that the breech plug would probably have to be pulled and the whole thing cleaned out by a competent gunsmith. I think he will do nothing except get drunk with his friends again.

So, does anyone know how or why this carbon plug formed and if there is any way to clear it without debreeching? I have never heard of this happening before. Maybe it's because I don't hang out with drunk bikers???? Dunno

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1388
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: This one has me stumped ..   November 21st 2015, 6:30 pm

I don't know, Bob. But, I would suggest raising the bar on your hunting invites. 
This goes beyond inexperience and strays into... crazy

Hey! I live in the same state! Wink

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
falcon

Male Number of posts : 1282
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: This one has me stumped ..   November 22nd 2015, 5:35 pm

Well, that's very different.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Al-53

Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2014-12-09

PostSubject: Re: This one has me stumped ..   November 22nd 2015, 5:49 pm

I can not believe he poured patch lube in the gun with power in it....

now he needs to get some dingleberry powder drying dust..lol...

try fitting a grease zerk in nipple area and try pumping it out,..I seen posts that it works..just a mess after...but you may need to try to use a dental pick to get the solid powder out some in nipple area...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14399
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: This one has me stumped ..   November 22nd 2015, 6:14 pm

thats some old lube!! He pretty much just melted the lube down and it dried over time and formed a pellet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5109
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: This one has me stumped ..   November 23rd 2015, 2:35 am

I think someone could pick up a T/C Hawken for about $50 if they waved it in front of him. Razz

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: This one has me stumped ..   

Back to top Go down

This one has me stumped ..
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: