Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9492
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Pressure of .50 cal   November 24th 2015, 11:34 am

I remember when I first bout the .458. It was a really nice fancy wood Win 70. I bought it from a guy who used it in Africa for elephant. I was going to work my buddies gold claim in Alaska, and he said bring a gun to stop huge grizzly's that were around the claim. So, i thought the .458 should do the trick.

Before going I tried it out at a range in Cailf to get a feel for it. The range had paper and steel targets. The first shot I took was on paper, and it knocked my hat off. I wasn't quite prepared for the recoil. 4-5 shots after that were fine, because I knew what to expect. I was young, and recoil was fun back then. Not so much anymore.

Anyway, the range had a steel bear running back and forth on a rail. It looked like fun, so I lined up the shot, and sent the 500gr bullet on it's way. It hit that bear, and knocked it off the rail. The range owner came screaming out of his little building tell me to get out. I thought it was funny, and so did the other guys shooting on the range. Not wanting any trouble before leaving for Alaska I just left laughing. I offered to help put the bear back on the rail, but the owner was foaming at the mouth, so I left.

Good old .458 is always good for a laugh.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MissouriKid

Male Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2015-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Pressure of .50 cal   November 24th 2015, 11:40 am

Guess he was fine if you'd stuck to paper targets and not shot ihs favorite target.

"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass."- Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral- genius behind the attack on Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, Commander of the Combined Fleet in WWII- December 7, 1941
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://jmsskyls.wix.com/theolefrontiershop
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Pressure of .50 cal   November 24th 2015, 11:43 am

True, but knocking over the bear was fun.  Very Happy

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MissouriKid

PostSubject: Re: Pressure of .50 cal   November 24th 2015, 11:55 am

I bet and so was everyone else but him.

"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass."- Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral- genius behind the attack on Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, Commander of the Combined Fleet in WWII- December 7, 1941
Back to top Go down
biddler2

Male Number of posts : 609
Registration date : 2011-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Pressure of .50 cal   November 24th 2015, 5:12 pm

A Browning BPS 12 gauge 3 1/2" Winchester Turkey load through an extra full choke is probably the worse recoiling round I have shot. I've never shot CF over 300 Win mag though but didn't think it was much. Slug guns seem to recoil more to me.

Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Pressure of .50 cal   November 24th 2015, 5:19 pm

A .300 mag is pretty tame. Only slightly hotter than a 30-06. The bigger CF guns are 3-7 times more recoil.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1392
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Pressure of .50 cal   November 24th 2015, 7:13 pm

I have no trouble with recoil on my .300 Win Mag Browning. It does let you know it is there, but 
if you are snugged? You should be fine.

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokin' Joe
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1659
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Pressure of .50 cal   November 25th 2015, 8:03 am

I shot my grandson's 20 gauge with slugs and was quite surprised on the amount of recoil that gun had. My .58 hawken with 90 grains of 2F will let you know it's there also.  Very Happy

So you want to be a gun maker....do you like filing?  >:^)

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MissouriKid

PostSubject: Re: Pressure of .50 cal   November 25th 2015, 8:21 pm

That's what I used since the 50's for deer and elk. Great timber gun, and with the 170gr partition it had no problem killing elk.

Then I got into muzzleloaders in the 80's, and retired the Win 94."-Muley

My problem is my Win 94 is the only cf rifle I have but if I can find 2 other decently priced rifles the mine will be retired at least for a while.

Back to top Go down
bobbythehunter

Male Number of posts : 331
Registration date : 2009-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Pressure of .50 cal   December 1st 2015, 2:51 pm

I've always thought that the actual weight of the rifle had alot to do with the recoil felt. My least favorite is 12 gauge with 2 ounce turkey loads, newer deer slugs like copper solids are no fun either.
My muzzleloader Accura MR and 7mm08 weather warrior are both easy on the body.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
a1smokepole

Male Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2011-07-08

PostSubject: Re: Pressure of .50 cal   December 1st 2015, 5:22 pm

@MissouriKid wrote:
It just doesn't seem to have very much recoil at all when loaded with what I have mentioned.
Or you compressing your loads of BH with two hands if not this can give you lower recoil.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WV Hunter

Male Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2012-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Pressure of .50 cal   December 1st 2015, 5:45 pm

My hardest kicking gun is my turkey gun. Stevens 10ga single shot with 36" full choke barrel, 3.5" mag. It comes straight back, right now. But I can knock em dead WAY out there   Very Happy

I'm not recoil shy at all....but anymore I'd rather shoot my son's .243 than my .280.  I remember the days about 25yrs ago when I thought I wanted a magnum. Boy was I stupid. 100-150lb deer don't need all that, certainly not where I hunt. Neither do I.

Buddy of mine who belonged to the bigger is better club got a .300 WBY Mag about 10yrs ago. I asked him if he'd shot it much when he came to camp. He said just on the bench to sight it in. First two shots on deer...back to back, he got two 80lb does and a trip to urgent care for stitches. Laughing Laughing Laughing

One shot got his eye real bad, the other shot got his nose. He looked like an axe murderer, blood completely covered his shirt when he came in from hunting. LOL, we all laughed like hell. He caught crap for that for the next 5yrs at least. If he still hunted with us I'm sure he'd still be catching it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pressure of .50 cal   

Back to top Go down

Pressure of .50 cal
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: