Share | 

Newbie to the ML world

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
irishpride114

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2015-12-05

PostSubject: Newbie to the ML world   December 6th 2015, 6:34 pm

After many years of always talking about getting a ML for a extra pass at deer camp, I finally went out and bought one. This last Thursday, FedEx dropped of a new Accura V2 Nitride w/a thumbhole stock, and at only $425 to my door. I tried to order just about everything I could think of needing to get me started (other then primers). The run down includes:

CVA's cleaning kit
CVA's bullet puller
CVA's BH Breach Plug
CVA's Shooters Kit
CVA's Barrel Blaster Cleaning kit
CVA's patches 
CVA Brass Powder Measure

White Hots (Getting ready to take them back. As I have been reading on here they aren't worth the hassle)
BH 209 Powder (after the fact)
Powerbelts 245's in hollow points (only hunting deer)
Nikon Inline Scope
NO PRIMERS YET

So I am sure that after finally finding this forum, that I ordered some things that I don't need and some things in to much bulk. The Black Friday deals were just to good, and why not stock up.  

Seeing as how I couldn't really find definitive answers on these; I have a few questions....

-Are the Fiocche primers good to excellent for using BH 209 powder in the BH breach plug? Or should I look in another direction as I haven't bought any yet. 

-With the brass powder measure, it seems like I need something to get the powder into it? Is that correct, or am I missing something?

-Is getting the shim worth it? 

Anything else you can think of I might need or need to be aware of? What is a good place to get primers, more powder, and the shim kit all in one? 

Thanks

Back to top Go down
View user profile
irishpride114

PostSubject: Re: Newbie to the ML world   December 6th 2015, 6:50 pm

Quick question: Is the CVA barrel blaster quick clean patches, parts soaker, wonder gel, foaming bore cleaner compatible with the Black Horn 209 powder? Just wondering before I return the White Hots. as I can return everything at one time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9492
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Newbie to the ML world   December 6th 2015, 7:30 pm

No, it's not. Use solvent made for CF guns to clean BH 209.

I'm not fond of the choice of 245gr Powerbelts. Even for deer.

You'll also need the breech plug made for BH 209.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
biddler2

Male Number of posts : 609
Registration date : 2011-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Newbie to the ML world   December 6th 2015, 8:04 pm

Carlos at Ed's gun shop in the classified section is a great place to get all of your muzzleloader supplies.  They have primers, shim kits, and BH209. 
Like Muley stated you will just need whatever you use on CF guns to clean BH209. The other cleaners in the CVA kit will work for the other black powder subs. 
I use the lanes tubes for loading for going to the range or for speed loads.  They need wiped out with a fabric softner sheet to eliminate the static.  After the first wipe you don't need to repeat.

irishpride114

PostSubject: Re: Newbie to the ML world   December 6th 2015, 9:32 pm

I already have the BH breach plug, I just need to install it. Just to be clear, none of the cleaning supplies will work? Not even the parts soaker? Oh well, such is life.

What is wrong with the powerbelts in 245? Is the potential yardage a problem? A majority of my shots will be in the 45-80 yard range. With a few in the 100-175 as well. 

I appreciate the help. I will to get a hold of Carlos and see if I can't get a few things ordered.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokin' Joe
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1661
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Newbie to the ML world   December 7th 2015, 5:44 am

Nice looking muzzy, good luck with it!

So you want to be a gun maker....do you like filing?  >:^)

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Newbie to the ML world   December 7th 2015, 6:27 am

@irishpride114 wrote:
I already have the BH breach plug, I just need to install it. Just to be clear, none of the cleaning supplies will work? Not even the parts soaker? Oh well, such is life.

What is wrong with the powerbelts in 245? Is the potential yardage a problem? A majority of my shots will be in the 45-80 yard range. With a few in the 100-175 as well. 

I appreciate the help. I will to get a hold of Carlos and see if I can't get a few things ordered.

Normally, a 245gr bullet would be fine if it had good terminal performance. In the case of the Powerbelt it's not that reliable. A lot of times it will over expand, and not penetrate well. Sometimes it won't expand at all, and just pencil through the animal. It's a fussy bullet that needs to stay in a certain fps range. Too close, and too much expansion. Too far, and no expansion. This all depends on your powder load. Too many variables for me, and many others. Plus, they're expensive.

If you can use sabots in your state you have many more choices, and they will be cheaper than the Powerbelts too. This is why it's always good to put in your location. It helps us answer questions better.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WV Hunter

Male Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2012-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Newbie to the ML world   December 7th 2015, 6:35 am

Congrats, welcome to ML'ing Very Happy Plug in and ask alot of questions, best way to learn. 

I agree, PB's have a horrible reputation...there are much more reliable bullets and most cost alot less.
Lehigh/Bloodline, XTP, SST, Barnes, Deep Curl... no need to look alot further than that list.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Newbie to the ML world   December 7th 2015, 6:40 am

Plus, the PT Gold which are really cheap to shoot if bought in bulk. Very good bullet too.

Carlos will have what you need at a good price. You don't need to shop anywhere else.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newbie to the ML world   

Back to top Go down

Newbie to the ML world
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: