Share | 

New to the site and muzzleloaders

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MrMeat

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2016-02-05

PostSubject: New to the site and muzzleloaders   February 19th 2016, 2:17 pm

Hi guys! I recently purchased an Colt 1860 (Pietta) and have a T/C Hawkens coming next week. I decided to get into muzzleloaders for a couple of reasons. One, they are so much more involving as in history and "make one shot count". I have several modern semi-auto's and bolt action's but you seem to put the bullet in and blam!

Maybe that is over simplified but once you hit the target and have a decent grouping it is 'what's next'? The act of loading the rifle/handgun and absorbing some of the history at the same time seems to be a worthwhile endeavor. Plus the accoutrements...Luckily, the range that I belong to in SoCal does not frown on muzzleloaders.

My question is this, down the road I plan on maybe purchasing a smoothbore and happened on to a site out of Canada called www.militaryheritage.com or "the discriminating general". They have supplied a number of movies/TV/documentaries with period correct items. Does anyone have experience with them? They send their muskets without the touch hole drilled so that they can ship to a lot of countries that don't have the 2nd amendment.

My second question is what size of touch hole should be drilled and does it change with the caliber? Also, should the touch hole be slightly countersunk or should it be flush with the barrel? I do have facilities here at my shop to do a good job but wanted to get your opinions. Thanks...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5113
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: New to the site and muzzleloaders   February 19th 2016, 3:22 pm

I opened both of my flintlocks to 1/16" for better ignition. They both have vent liners and are flush.

Welcome to the group. How about posting some photos of these "no touchhole" guns?

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14399
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: New to the site and muzzleloaders   February 19th 2016, 5:18 pm

Those muskets are most indian made so some report decent things, most are bad things. They are built very cheap and sold directly as non firing arms due to the laws in india.

I'd start with something smaller than 1/16" to be honest. You can always go up in side, but never replace metal.

It should be flush with the barrel.

If you can, I would highly suggest finding a much better brand of muzzle loader. They are better suited for firing blanks than they are hunting or target shooting loads.

Welcome to the forum as well! Good to have an out of stater with us!

Jonathan
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
MrMeat

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2016-02-05

PostSubject: Re: New to the site and muzzleloaders   February 20th 2016, 9:28 am

Thanks guys as I was wondering where they were made as the prices seemed a bit low. I was kind of figuring they were small enough so that the powder charge would stay put (flintlock).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RIFLE 57

Male Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2016-01-20

PostSubject: Re: New to the site and muzzleloaders   February 26th 2016, 9:21 pm

Welcome MrMeat!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonC
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 793
Registration date : 2013-09-09

PostSubject: Re: New to the site and muzzleloaders   February 27th 2016, 8:33 pm

Welcome, MrMeat!

You have chosen a good group to participate with.

Ron
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Standing Bear

Male Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2014-01-30

PostSubject: Re: New to the site and muzzleloaders   February 28th 2016, 8:09 am

I agree with FG to find a different source that sells ML firearms other than those made in India or other countries that don't have strong consumer protection laws.  I examined a made in India flint shotgun at a range one day. Based on what I saw of the quality of the lock and it's components I was concerned about the barrels.  I asked the new owner if he had any info on the barrel steel metallurgy - no. That's enough for me. 

Re touch hole size I've found a 1/16" touch hole to be reliable and still provide good velocity.  With a new barrel or an older one getting a new liner I start with 1/16".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Number of posts : 3704
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: New to the site and muzzleloaders   February 28th 2016, 8:21 pm

Very Happy
WELCOME ABOARD Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Ray............. t up

KEEPEM IN THE " 10 " RING   

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New to the site and muzzleloaders   

Back to top Go down

New to the site and muzzleloaders
View previous topic View next topic Back to top