FML's

Male Number of posts : 1185
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Florida State Muzzleloader Match   April 9th 2016, 7:54 pm

This is my second match at a Florida State Black 
Powder shoot. 

This was the second time it has been offered by 
the Florida Frontiersmen on my watch... the folks 
who bring you Alafia River Rendezvous in Homeland, Florida. 

And, I finally found Hilljack lurking in the wings! 
Together, The Kentucky Colonel and The Hilljack 
took on the pagans and won the day!

Nah. But...

I did a LOT better this time. I probably did not win 
any prizes. But, I did well and I had fun.

And, I irritated Hilljack until he started revealing all his 
black powder secrets. Wink

The gear below is mine...

This location is shy about photos... 
I am not supposed to have a cell phone. 
What can I say? I have always been a rebel.

The following pic is halfway down the 100 yard range. 
I took it 'casually' on the way down to change a target.

The wind was WAY high and gusty in the early afternoon. 
Targets were at 25, 50, and 100 yards. I wasted nary a round ball.

And, with Hilljack's coaching, I later hit my first 200 yard target with round ball 
and patch: a large black bear iron silhouette shot from unsteadied standing 
with my .50 calibre Hawken. I was surprised at the huge ball drop! 

The following shot is the 200 yards range. You can just make out the bear targets... 
Maybe.

I also got to put my hands on Hilljack's newest build (the build shown in another thread!). 
The pics are good there, but they do not give an indication of the tactile pleasure of handling 
this .40 calibre walnut stocked rifle. Nor, the easy arm aim of the swamped barrel he used. 
I am still trying to wrap my head around the reverse double trigger set up even though I dropped 
the hammer on the frizzen three times without a charged barrel.

On this trip, I ran into three of my Central Florida Rifle and Pistol Club members. A fourth bought 
a canoe and had to go back for a trailer. I also met Hilljack's friend Dave. He appears in the build 
photos on that other thread, too! LOTS of fun! And, I learned a lot more. 

And, the weather was perfect: God blowing us a kiss perfect.

Maybe next time, we can see you. Very Happy

Hilljack is still there. Camping is available starting on Friday. The shoot ends tomorrow. 
My wife wanted me home. Surprised

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 4959
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Florida State Muzzleloader Match   April 10th 2016, 11:24 am

If you keep on taking surreptitious photos, you may wind up living at the Moscow airport. :Hide

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9492
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Florida State Muzzleloader Match   April 10th 2016, 12:22 pm

Pretty cool, but that's no way to dress at a BP shoot.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Florida State Muzzleloader Match   April 10th 2016, 6:46 pm

@patocazador wrote:
If you keep on taking surreptitious photos, you may wind up living at the Moscow airport. :Hide

Nah, not likely. :suhlute

But, the Bolivian army confiscated my camera the night before the "5 Questions" 
national referendum in 2004. We were trained NOT to protest if stopped by police or 
military, but to take a humble profile. Arrogant Norte Americanos are not overly loved 
down there. When I was accosted, I had a reaction first- then remembered- just before I 
opened my big mouth- not to protest. nono

It worked. I suffered some tense moments and waiting, but I was eventually released. I even 
got my camera back- later (minus a few shots) and stayed out of a South American prison and 
suffered no bodily harm. Cool

But, I do have a tendency to like to record things when I can. Like this troop movement 
shot in Bolivia. I am surprised I got to keep that. Know what they tried to remove from my 
camera? Long lines at the grocery the night before the election.
headslap

I am careful with the shots I share- mostly. Those troops served for another regime over a 
decade ago... You are the first to see it. And, I tell my friends what I am up to before posting. 
Real secrets are generally very safe with me. (And, pics ARE allowed on The Frontiersmen site: 
just not while the lines are 'hot.')

But, secrets are sometimes for tyrants and dumb rules are meant to be broken. IMHO 
The above was the Capital Square in La Paz. The machine gun holes were from the month before 
during an attempted coup... I was visiting the Bolivian 'White House.'

The government was not the only danger. These protesters near Potosi did not like cameras either. 
One man locked eyes with me while I was shooting and drew his finger across his throat. 
I got the message and lowered my camera and made it clear with gestures that I was done. 
I had been shooting the general crowd. I noticed that many men were carefully staying away from 
the camera with the TV reporter. I was shooting some that DID NOT want to be on camera.

So, no... I am not a fan of people telling me when I may use my own equipment. 
I believe in freedom.

NMLRA

Last edited by Kentucky Colonel on April 10th 2016, 7:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Florida State Muzzleloader Match   April 10th 2016, 7:25 pm

Muley wrote:
Pretty cool, but that's no way to dress at a BP shoot.

Nobody else was in costume. But, it would have been fun!

NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sharpsman

Male Number of posts : 439
Registration date : 2016-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Florida State Muzzleloader Match   April 10th 2016, 10:05 pm

Wearing all the garb of leather replete with coonskin or coyote head cover might be ok way north of the Mason-Dixon line but down here where it gets hot enough to fry eggs on the asphalt...no thank you! It'll get so dang hot here before long the uniform of the day will be jockey straps and shower shoes!! It burns the Yankees out in short order!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OSR

Male Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2014-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Florida State Muzzleloader Match   April 10th 2016, 10:44 pm

Kentucky Colonel - Those were some interesting pictures.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Florida State Muzzleloader Match   April 11th 2016, 7:24 am

@Sharpsman wrote:
Wearing all the garb of leather replete with coonskin or coyote head cover might be ok way north of the Mason-Dixon line but down here where it gets hot enough to fry eggs on the asphalt...no thank you! It'll get so dang hot here before long the uniform of the day will be jockey straps and shower shoes!! It burns the Yankees out in short order!!

Yankees know where to live.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sharpsman

PostSubject: Re: Florida State Muzzleloader Match   April 11th 2016, 9:51 am

But....when you've got snow/ice butthole deep to a very tall Giraffe....I'll be in my yard doing this....while only wearing a light jacket! cheers affraid :suhlute

.54 Hawken by Rick Mulhern, on Flickr
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hilljack

Male Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2014-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Florida State Muzzleloader Match   April 11th 2016, 10:31 am

Well it was a great day and a bunch of fun....And you are right Sharpsman, the heat will will run them out, when I lived in Grand Isle, if it wasn't the heat the skeeters gotem...The look on them Colonels face was priceless when he cut loose and looked for the nod that he made a hit, but was disappointed when he was told a goose egg...

YMHS
Hilljack
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hilljack

PostSubject: Re: Florida State Muzzleloader Match   April 11th 2016, 10:31 am

Well it was a great day and a bunch of fun....And you are right Sharpsman, the heat will will run them out, when I lived in Grand Isle, if it wasn't the heat the skeeters gotem...The look on them Colonels face was priceless when he cut loose and looked for the nod that he made a hit, but was disappointed when he was told a goose egg...

YMHS
Hilljack
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hilljack

PostSubject: Re: Florida State Muzzleloader Match   April 11th 2016, 10:32 am

YMHS
Hilljack
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Florida State Muzzleloader Match   April 11th 2016, 11:42 am

@Sharpsman wrote:
But....when you've got snow/ice butthole deep to a very tall Giraffe....I'll be in my yard doing this....while only wearing a light jacket! cheers affraid :suhlute

.54 Hawken by Rick Mulhern, on Flickr

Yes, but from spring to fall it's 70 degrees here with 20% humidity while you're sweating your ass off with high temps and humidity and swatting bird size mosquitoes.

I actually enjoy cold weather and anything over 65 degrees is approaching a heat wave for me. Snow and ice is just something to play in by sliding around in my Jeep.

If i was forced to live in Florida i'd go hunting for bear with a knife and end it all.  pirat

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sharpsman

PostSubject: Re: Florida State Muzzleloader Match   April 11th 2016, 12:09 pm

But from Fall.....to.....Spring.....you live in an Igloo!! Hellsfire....I've skied in Colorado at Cooper Hill in July!! What a Face Tease Doh

On the route....to your house!

Trail_Ridge_Road_05729 by Rick Mulhern, on Flickr
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Florida State Muzzleloader Match   April 11th 2016, 12:40 pm

Nice try, but I live in an area called the banana belt. The surrounding 14,000' mountains suck all the bad weather out before it gets to us.

Denver gets way more snow than us and we're 3000' higher.

Here's how it is here. I never ever turn the heat on all winter.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sharpsman

PostSubject: Re: Florida State Muzzleloader Match   April 11th 2016, 12:53 pm

Yeah....I know the area...well! Just south of Twin Lakes and it gets so damn cold there the lakes freeze over and folks in those parts at one time had auto races out on the ice! You may not be turning the ELECTRIC HEAT ON.....but probably burn 8 cords of wood!! cheers What a Face Laughing Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Florida State Muzzleloader Match   April 11th 2016, 1:32 pm

No, you don't know the area.

Take note of the examples.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banana_belt

Buena Vista is a Statutory Town in Chaffee County, Colorado, United States. The population was 2,195 at the 2000 census.
Buena Vista is located in central Colorado roughly midway between Salida and Leadville in the Upper Arkansas River Valley at an elevation of 7,965 feet (2,428 m). The area between Buena Vista and Salida is often referred to as the "Banana Belt", due to its relatively mild winters. The term "Banana Belt" actually refers to the fact that Buena Vista lies in a wide valley and is a high mountain desert with milder temperatures than nearby communities such as those on the I-70 corridor. The town lies at the base of the 14,000+ peaks of the Collegiate Peaks, Mt. Princeton, Mt. Yale, Mt. Columbia, and Mt. Harvard, of the Sawatch Range. In summer, Buena Vista is a popular access point for world-class whitewater rafting, kayaking, and fly fishing on the Arkansas River, and mountain climbing and backpacking on local 14ers and the Colorado Trail. Sizable elk and deer herds attract hunters in the winter months, and bighorn sheep, mountain goats, and antelope are also indigenous to the area.
Buena Vista incorporated in 1879 and grew as a railroad town serving the local silver, gold, and lead mining industry, with three rail lines including the Denver & Rio Grande, South Park & Pacific, and Colorado Midland railroads. Many of the existing buildings of Buena Vista date back to this era, and were built in the 1880s and 1890s.

Buena Vista, CO

Nearby

Directions

More Info

2 km
1 mi

©2016 MAPQUEST, © TOMTOM, © 2015 MAPBOX | LEGAL | PRIVACY | ABOUT OUR ADS

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sharpsman

PostSubject: Re: Florida State Muzzleloader Match   April 11th 2016, 1:50 pm

So....it near freezes....or snows there?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Florida State Muzzleloader Match   April 11th 2016, 1:59 pm

Yes, we get snow, but it's mild compared to the rest of the state. Lakes freeze, but again not like the rest of the state. For being at 8000ft in the Rockies the winters aren't hard to take. I wish the summers were cooler. It gets to 80 sometimes and i'm bitching every minute.

I like to spend my time in the high mountains and it's pretty hard to do in the winter here. They get hammered in the winter. Sure nice from spring to fall though.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Admin

Male Number of posts : 14277
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Florida State Muzzleloader Match   April 11th 2016, 2:10 pm

What is this.. a place for old women to sit and talk about the weather?  lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Florida State Muzzleloader Match   April 11th 2016, 3:12 pm

Beat it kid. tongue

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sharpsman

PostSubject: Re: Florida State Muzzleloader Match   April 11th 2016, 4:51 pm

Muley

When I was stationed at Ft. Carson I'd drive west on Hwy 24 to your area and being a flat lander...I was always amazed at the beauty of that country! Told my wife (the first one) I wanted to buy a ranch I had seen for sale on the west side of Monarch Pass and she wouldn't have any of it! It was CHEAP....$800.00 per acre at the time. Several years later....it couldn't have been bought without having FORT KNOX in your wallet! You live in beautiful country man! Enjoy it.....time flies!! Good jerking your chain a little bit! Laughing sunny I may head up that way this coming year....after I down a big whitetail in Kansas in mid September!

As for 'old women and weather'.... :shh ....this forum hasn't been lately a hot-bed of activity and I've really enjoyed conversing with muley! You can just classify us as 'old geezers' enjoying life!! t up :suhlute :rtup
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonC
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 718
Registration date : 2013-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Florida State Muzzleloader Match   April 11th 2016, 7:27 pm

There's nothing but cranky old guys, young upstarts and a biga$$ prison in Buena Vista. Wink

I looked at Tripadvisor for recommendations on what to do in Buena Vista. All they had was an arrow pointing out of town. Very Happy 

However, there are some good characteristics. You can look out your window and see the Collegiate Range of Mountains. There also is a little piddle creek that rolls on by (The Arkansas River). And, you don't have to drive too far to get to scenic, downtown Leadville.
Ron (Just trying to be helpful)

Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Florida State Muzzleloader Match   April 11th 2016, 7:43 pm

I drove through Golden once, and it smelled like cowshit.

Enjoy it.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sharpsman

PostSubject: Re: Florida State Muzzleloader Match   April 11th 2016, 7:52 pm

Is there a feedlot in Golden???? :Hide lol! affraid
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Florida State Muzzleloader Match   

Back to top Go down