CVA Nitride Barrels: Matte or Glossy?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Old Smoke

Male Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2016-01-28

PostSubject: CVA Nitride Barrels: Matte or Glossy?   April 10th 2016, 7:10 am

I've not seen one in person.  Are the nitrided barrels glossy or matte?

And the Durasite mounts.  Glossy or matte?

Very likely to buy one soon and have stumbled on great deal on a scope.  But want to make sure the scope finish matches the gun finish.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9492
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: CVA Nitride Barrels: Matte or Glossy?   April 10th 2016, 7:23 am

The Nitride looks like black primer.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Smoke

PostSubject: Re: CVA Nitride Barrels: Matte or Glossy?   April 10th 2016, 8:11 am

So, sounds like it is close to a matte finish.  Yes?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: CVA Nitride Barrels: Matte or Glossy?   April 10th 2016, 8:33 am

Closer to matte than gloss. 

I believe the mount is the same way. Kind of forgot, because I always replace it with a DNZ mount.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."

Last edited by Muley on April 10th 2016, 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokin' Joe
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1647
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: CVA Nitride Barrels: Matte or Glossy?   April 10th 2016, 10:25 am

I would strongly recommend going with the DNZ mount.  Only 1/3 of the weight and holds your scope rock solid.  It's the only mount I use regardless of the rifle. IMO....CVA's are great shooters, no question, however my complaint is their "CrushZone" recoil pad has "no" crush to it like a Limbsaver and their DuraSight DEAD-ON scope mount is heavy steel and I have had problems with scope slippage.

So you want to be a gun maker....do you like filing?  >:^)

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: CVA Nitride Barrels: Matte or Glossy?   April 10th 2016, 11:00 am

They should rename it the no crush pad.

My Triumph came with a Sims. Much better.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Smoke

PostSubject: Re: CVA Nitride Barrels: Matte or Glossy?   April 10th 2016, 1:44 pm

Thanks, gents, for the comments.  Especially about the DNZ mount.  I had heard the same about the Crush Zone.  Is it replaceable?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: CVA Nitride Barrels: Matte or Glossy?   April 10th 2016, 2:03 pm

It comes off ok, but I never could find a better pad that would just bolt on. A Sims grind to fit is the only solution. Providing the bolt pattern is the same. Unlike a wood stock you can't redrill the holes.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokin' Joe
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1647
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: CVA Nitride Barrels: Matte or Glossy?   April 10th 2016, 2:08 pm

I wouldn't let it deter you from buying a CVA rifle.  There are a lot more check marks under the "Pros" column than the "Con" column.  You won't be disappointed.

So you want to be a gun maker....do you like filing?  >:^)

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: CVA Nitride Barrels: Matte or Glossy?   April 10th 2016, 2:13 pm

If you can find one of the older CVA pads it will bolt on. It can be off a Wolf, Optima, or Accura. It was way softer and worked much better.

I don't know why CVA went to that hard pad. It's like solid hard rubber.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14398
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: CVA Nitride Barrels: Matte or Glossy?   April 12th 2016, 5:54 pm

The factory recoil pad is very comfortable. You don't get that bounce like you do with a soft squishy pad. Im skinny and it doesn't affect me in any way. If you want hard, Traditions uses a solid rubber recoil pad and THAT one can be uncomfortable LOL.

Matte finish on the Nitride barrels.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: CVA Nitride Barrels: Matte or Glossy?   April 12th 2016, 7:02 pm

@FrontierGander wrote:
The factory recoil pad is very comfortable. You don't get that bounce like you do with a soft squishy pad. Im skinny and it doesn't affect me in any way. If you want hard, Traditions uses a solid rubber recoil pad and THAT one can be uncomfortable LOL.

Matte finish on the Nitride barrels.

You haven't tried a Sims pad lately, or you wouldn't say that.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoexBlackhorn

Male Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2015-12-17

PostSubject: Re: CVA Nitride Barrels: Matte or Glossy?   April 13th 2016, 7:49 am

Muley wrote:

I don't know why CVA went to that hard pad. It's like solid hard rubber.

Accuracy is why they chose the stiffer pad.
The more cushion there is - the more the gun moves at ignition. The technique to stiffen the shoulder is never heard-of anymore. Shooters from the Wild West era were taught to lock-in their shoulders.

Nowadays, we are taught buy Sims Pads and speaking of Sims, mine still stick to the carpet in the gun safe. I never knew there was a recall on them last decade. Luckily, I hang my muzzleloaders upside down in the safe, for several years now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: CVA Nitride Barrels: Matte or Glossy?   April 13th 2016, 8:05 am

No, that's not the reason. I asked them why they changed it years ago. They said they changed suppliers and that's how they make them. I don't understand why they changed to a different maker and they had no answer to why. They actually didn't like the hard pad either.

As for accuracy. Nothing spoils accuracy more than too much felt recoil. A good pad also lets you comfortably use heavier bullets.

The Sims pad I have doesn't pick up anything from my carpet.

For a hunting rifle a Sims pad is perfect, and i'm glad TC feels the same way.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5106
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: CVA Nitride Barrels: Matte or Glossy?   April 13th 2016, 9:28 am

There's usually only one factor that makes a company change suppliers ... cost! Money is the only reason any company is in business and that's all they care about when you get right down to it. If they have good customer service and use quality parts, it's so they keep customers who will eventually spend more money.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: CVA Nitride Barrels: Matte or Glossy?   April 13th 2016, 12:25 pm

Had a sims on a tc omega and my old winchester x150. I like the stiffer crush zone better. The harder crush zone doesn't bust in the middle like the soft one when you put it on your foot with a stiff load. Thats a big plus.
Back to top Go down
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: CVA Nitride Barrels: Matte or Glossy?   April 13th 2016, 12:41 pm

@FrontierGander wrote:
Had a sims on a tc omega and my old winchester x150. I like the stiffer crush zone better. The harder crush zone doesn't bust in the middle like the soft one when you put it on your foot with a stiff load. Thats a big plus.

I felt the same way when I was 31.

Give it another 42 years.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: CVA Nitride Barrels: Matte or Glossy?   April 13th 2016, 12:44 pm

hey now all of my hunting rifles have steel or brass recoil pads Laughing
Back to top Go down
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: CVA Nitride Barrels: Matte or Glossy?   April 13th 2016, 12:52 pm

That's your bad choice.  pirat

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: CVA Nitride Barrels: Matte or Glossy?   April 13th 2016, 1:18 pm

You're just a wimpy mountain man lol!

Mountain man?? Or shall I say, Girly'mon!

Back to top Go down
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: CVA Nitride Barrels: Matte or Glossy?   April 13th 2016, 1:44 pm

I seem to remember you whining like a little girl when your empty pack was hurting your shoulder.  tongue

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: CVA Nitride Barrels: Matte or Glossy?   April 13th 2016, 2:03 pm

yep and it turned out a bulged disc was the problem. You just shoot that inline with a cheater scope and sissy pad lol! :Hide :Hide

Last edited by FrontierGander on April 13th 2016, 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: CVA Nitride Barrels: Matte or Glossy?   April 13th 2016, 2:06 pm

Yeah, like I don't have medical problems.

Yes, a light inline and NoExcuses 460gr bullets. Try it and you'll want a pad too.

Since when is a Redfield a cheap scope? That would be a Konus.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: CVA Nitride Barrels: Matte or Glossy?   April 13th 2016, 2:11 pm

That was supposed to be cheater scope Laughing

Why use a 460 when we now have copper or lead alloy bullets available that do a better job at getting it done. Just more wear and tear on you in the long run. If they even shoot from that TC.
Back to top Go down
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: CVA Nitride Barrels: Matte or Glossy?   April 13th 2016, 2:17 pm

I trust a heavy all lead bullet to not fail. Plus, they only cost .50 ea.

Thor......Pain in the ass to get a good fit. Expensive.
FPB......Really hard to load in TC guns.
Bor-Lock........Don't like the reviews.
Powerbelts.....Don't trust them like a NoExcuses and wouldn't be that much lighter. Expensive.

What else for a conical that isn't similar to a NoExcuses?

Scope was free.  pirat

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CVA Nitride Barrels: Matte or Glossy?   

Back to top Go down

CVA Nitride Barrels: Matte or Glossy?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: