Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
OSR

Male Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2014-01-23

PostSubject: Re: All this rifle needed....   April 13th 2016, 10:30 pm

@FrontierGander wrote:
that vent does sit pretty high up.

Are sparks falling directly into the pan with the flint being set up as it is? Sometimes when you get a high strike on the frizzen, the sparks actually fly forward, away from the pan.
That's what I pointed out in his "Woe is me" post, when I asked him where he got the barrel, pointing out the vent liner was mounted between two flats.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9492
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: All this rifle needed....   April 14th 2016, 6:51 am

@Sharpsman wrote:
I think the wind was part of the problem! I ain't got time to watch for sparks! I'm too busy holding on the target !!

You don't check the sparks while shooting a load at the range. You do it in a dark room. Did you ever do that with the flint in both positions to see which way the flint worked best?

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sharpsman

Male Number of posts : 476
Registration date : 2016-02-13

PostSubject: Re: All this rifle needed....   April 14th 2016, 10:53 am

Muley wrote:
@Sharpsman wrote:
I think the wind was part of the problem! I ain't got time to watch for sparks! I'm too busy holding on the target !!

You don't check the sparks while shooting a load at the range. You do it in a dark room. Did you ever do that with the flint in both positions to see which way the flint worked best?
Yep...I'm aware of that! It doesn't seem like an over-abundance of spark creation is being developed but I can see that the rock is striking higher on the frizzen. At the half cock position with these 3/4" rocks and the frizzen closed I can't get any clearance betwixt the frizzen and edge of the rock! I may need a flint of 5/8" or so! Dunno
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14399
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: All this rifle needed....   April 14th 2016, 11:03 am

How much force does it take to open the frizzen by hand?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
falcon

Male Number of posts : 1282
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: All this rifle needed....   April 14th 2016, 11:07 am

In the early 1970s i had two nice old original rocklocks. Both were highly unreliable. Then i found the "atomic frizzen" sold by the Hamm Lock Co. Bought five of them. They are made of depleted uranium and do they ever spark.

There are two "atomic frizzens" somewhere in the attic in an ammo can.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5109
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: All this rifle needed....   April 14th 2016, 11:12 am

falcon, I have read that these atomic frizzens are still a potential hazard for radioactivity. Is that true?

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokin' Joe
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1651
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: All this rifle needed....   April 14th 2016, 12:16 pm

I did read this on the internet:  ???

The facing material of frizzens used in flintlock rifles was made with depleted uranium as uranium can produce sparks by friction (ORAU 2004b).  This process began in the early 1970s only to disappear by the mid-1990s because of concerns regarding the fragments of uranium that became airborne after the flintlock was discharged (ORAU 2004b).   (ORAU =  Oak Ridge Associated Universities)

So you want to be a gun maker....do you like filing?  >:^)

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
falcon

PostSubject: Re: All this rifle needed....   April 14th 2016, 12:19 pm

Quote :
falcon, I have read that these atomic frizzens are still a potential hazard for radioactivity. Is that true?

Compared to weapons grade uranium or plutonium, depleted uranium is a slight hazard. The military uses depleted uranium in penetrators for anti-- armor ammunition. Depleted uranium is also used in the shaped charge cones of some TOW missile rounds. When a penetrator consisting of depleted uranoum strikes an armored vehicle, there is a huge fireball.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: All this rifle needed....   April 14th 2016, 12:27 pm

I'd worry more about what they put in our food than this gadget LOL.
Back to top Go down
RonC
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 792
Registration date : 2013-09-09

PostSubject: Re: All this rifle needed....   April 14th 2016, 12:53 pm

Depleted uranium has about 60% of the radioactivity of natural uranium. It therefore can be a risk, with the greatest risk being from inhalation.

A depleted uranium frizzen just sitting there is little risk. The primary radiation given off by depleted uranium is alpha, along with a bit of beta and small amounts of gamma. Alpha particles are blocked by skin, while beta particles are blocked by clothing and by the dead layer of the epidermis. While gamma rays are highly-penetrating, the amount of gamma emitted by depleted uranium is very low. Thus, depleted uranium is not a significant external risk.

It is, however, an internal risk as a chemical and as a radiation emitter. If you ingest DU, about 95% is eliminated in your stool and, of what is taken up in your digestive tract, 2/3 is filtered by your kidneys and into the urine in a short time (1 day).

Inhalation poses a larger risk for retention of the particles of DU.
I would be most concerned about the particles generated when the flint hits the frizzen because that is what would be inhaled. There should be no more than 1 micro-gram per cubic meter of air that you breathe. That tells me that DU is not a terrible risk when inhaled, but not a risk to be taken lightly.

Moral of the story: don't eat your frizzen; don't breathe it in, either.
Ron

falcon

PostSubject: Re: All this rifle needed....   April 15th 2016, 6:19 am

Yep, reminds me that decades ago Pantex Corp. was told to hire a safety officer. Now Pantex is the company that disassembles the obsolete nuclear weapons for the US military.

Turns out the workers were handling weapons grade plutonium and uranium with their bare hands. They were eating without washing their hands; etc, etc, ad nauseum. The new safety officer cracked down on the worker bees. Then a manager took the safety officer to task. "Don't tell them that stuff, they will be filing workers comp claims".

i'm not surprised that Pantex nearly had a multi megaton nuclear blast while tearing apart a bomb.

Quote :
In March 2005, a nuclear warhead almost exploded in Texas. The near miss accident occurred in Amarillo, when workers at the Pantex nuclear weapons plant bungled the dismantling of a W-56 warhead, a weapon 100 times stronger than the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima during World War II.

http://grist.org/article/dept-of-holy/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: All this rifle needed....   April 15th 2016, 10:57 am

Quote :In March 2005, a nuclear warhead almost exploded in Texas. The near miss accident occurred in Amarillo, when workers at the Pantex nuclear weapons plant bungled the dismantling of a W-56 warhead, a weapon 100 times stronger than the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima during World War II.

I've been to Amarillo. A nuclear blast might improve it. The cattle at the stockyards may not benefit, however. Wink

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sharpsman

PostSubject: Re: All this rifle needed....   April 15th 2016, 12:34 pm

I don't have a problem holding on a target if it doesn't fire but I do have a problem in knowing whether it's going to fire or not in a hunting scenario!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: All this rifle needed....   April 15th 2016, 1:10 pm

That's why they invented the caplock.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigAl52
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 377
Registration date : 2016-02-03

PostSubject: Re: All this rifle needed....   April 15th 2016, 4:06 pm

Ya but caplocks don't have the coooooool factor like the rock locks do. Laughing

TC Renegade 58 cal Green Mtn drop in barrel
TC Renegade 58 cal
TC Hawken 58 cal
TC Hawken 50 cal Green Mtn drop in barrel
GRRW Hawken 50 cal
Lyman GPR 54 cal flintlock L&R lock davis deerslayer trigger
Lyman Trade Rifle 54 cal
CVA Hawken 58 cal
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: All this rifle needed....   April 15th 2016, 4:15 pm

That's a matter of opinion. I have no love for flintlocks.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigAl52
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 377
Registration date : 2016-02-03

PostSubject: Re: All this rifle needed....   April 15th 2016, 7:22 pm

Pete
Im being sarcastic. Right now I dont favor one or the other. I know guys that are flintlock crazy and caplocks are just not cool. Im in the middle I think there is some on both sides that are neat. Im gonna shoot both. Al

TC Renegade 58 cal Green Mtn drop in barrel
TC Renegade 58 cal
TC Hawken 58 cal
TC Hawken 50 cal Green Mtn drop in barrel
GRRW Hawken 50 cal
Lyman GPR 54 cal flintlock L&R lock davis deerslayer trigger
Lyman Trade Rifle 54 cal
CVA Hawken 58 cal
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: All this rifle needed....   April 15th 2016, 7:36 pm

One of the traditional forums I used to be on my name was Capper.  Very Happy

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sharpsman

PostSubject: Re: All this rifle needed....   April 15th 2016, 10:29 pm

I'm gonna give this flint a really good trial.....and after trying many things if it doesn't work out....I'll change it over to a caplock if I can!! Don't know if that's possible or not! I'll really try to make this dude work!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: All this rifle needed....   April 15th 2016, 10:51 pm

Send it to me, I'll test it out!

You could try filling that huge pan with an epoxy and move the powder closer to the touch hole. If nothing improves, you can always knock that epoxy out.
Back to top Go down
Sharpsman

PostSubject: Re: All this rifle needed....   April 15th 2016, 11:03 pm

Computer timing of ignition is supposedly better with the prime close to the vent however the difference is so minute....it's almost insignificant!

http://www.blackpowdermag.com/flintlock-timing-muzzleblast-january-1990/

I've looked at other flintlock vent holes and none seem to be any higher than this one and supposedly ignition is good on all! I don't believe the vent hole on this one is the problem! Eventually through trial and error....I'll get this worked out! The rifle is accurate...the ten ring on a 100 yard smallbore target isn't safe from 60 yards and from 100 yards all shots stay within an 8" bull with several shots in the ten ring and due to wind....only a couple in the 8 ring!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MattRaymond

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: All this rifle needed....   April 16th 2016, 5:32 am

I'm new to flintlocks, but have a bit of advice from my short time that I've sorted mine out.  Find a good flint and use that type.  Mine sparked poorly when I first tried it out and it ate the flint after about 10 hammer falls.  I switched to english flints and it seems to like them.  If you swab between shots, especially in the hot/humid conditions you are describing, you have a large potential to push crud and fouling into the breach and block the touch hole with it.  Learning from this the 2nd time out with mine, I would wipe clean with alcohol, the frizzen and the flint after each shot so that they were both clean and dry.  If I swabbed the bore between shots, I also used a stepped scraper on my rod to clean that breach area, into the location of the touch hole.  A smaller bore brush would work just as well. Also when I load, I do not place my vent pick in the touch hole while I'm loading.  I wait until after the powder is in, patched ball is driven home.  I then, before I prime the pan, push my vent pick into the touch hole and can feel the powder right up against the hole. Once I've inserted the vent pick like that, it pushes the powder away from the opening enough, and I know that the channel is clear, and there is powder behind the touch hole. Since doing it with that method, no issues.  I shoot a .45 cal Pedersoli, 3f main charge, 3f in the pan.  The only mod I did to it was open the touch hole to 1/16".

My 1st time out with this gun, when I would swab between shots, I'm pretty sure I pushed fouling into the chambered breach, which blocked the main charge from getting to the touch hole.  I had multiple flashes in the pan that 1st time out and when that happened, I removed the lock, removed the touch hole liner, only to find that there was no powder behind it.

I think your touch hole location is fine. 

Stick with it.  Your rifle is pretty sweet and it sounds accurate as heck.  When I first got my Lyman cap lock, I really worked on an accurate load/ball/patch combo....ignition was not the issue with that gun.  With my Pedersoli, it pretty much shoots most loads accurately, but the labor with that gun was figuring out a reliable/fast ignition.  

Good luck
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sharpsman

PostSubject: Re: All this rifle needed....   April 16th 2016, 10:52 am

Yes...I have been wiping between shots. I use a .45 caliber black plastic brush with a 3" patch wrapped around it; not a stepped scraper jag. Once down and out....reverse the patch and down again and out. I have also put in an order with my wife to pick up a gallon of denatured alcohol on her next trip to buy groceries! I won't use regular alcohol as it has 20% water content! I think you may be right that I have been pushing some fouling into the breech which would impede ignition!

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: All this rifle needed....   April 16th 2016, 11:27 am

You can avoid that by only wiping with one stroke and stopping ~ 1 1/2" short of the end.  Don't do it a second time. Also, keep your vent pick in the touch hole while doing it. I use a piece of copper wire as my pick and I don't remove it until I charge my pan. I use 3F as my main charge and about 4-5 gr. of 4F as my pan powder.

Mine was "iffy" firing until I started using this method. I read about it on another forum and it works for me.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: All this rifle needed....   April 16th 2016, 11:30 am

Toothpicks are good to plug the touch hole.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: All this rifle needed....   

Back to top Go down

All this rifle needed....
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: