Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

You Still Want To Hunt Grizzly With A Muzzleloader?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Bear Claw

Male Number of posts : 9568
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: You Still Want To Hunt Grizzly With A Muzzleloader?   May 11th 2016, 8:33 pm

Have a look at this.

After surgery.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5406
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: You Still Want To Hunt Grizzly With A Muzzleloader?   May 11th 2016, 8:43 pm

I'm surprised he looks that good. It looks like his left parotid gland is gone.
I wonder how they replaced his nose?

Where's the link to the story?

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14680
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: You Still Want To Hunt Grizzly With A Muzzleloader?   May 11th 2016, 9:01 pm

That should make ol Pete feel like a beauty queen now! lol!

And yes, I would use my muzzy for one. The first $20,000 and I'll do so!
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 3339
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: You Still Want To Hunt Grizzly With A Muzzleloader?   May 12th 2016, 5:07 am

Not for the squeamish.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Number of posts : 3701
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: You Still Want To Hunt Grizzly With A Muzzleloader?   May 12th 2016, 6:42 am

affraid
That guy is lucky to be alive. Seems like he should have more blood on the jacket or maybe the temp was cold enough to coagulate the wounds.
It may be crazy buy count me in on that bear hunt. i'm using my .58 cal. :tup2

Ray............. :rtup

KEEPEM IN THE " 10 " RING   

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw

PostSubject: Re: You Still Want To Hunt Grizzly With A Muzzleloader?   May 12th 2016, 7:01 am

You better have a real gun backing you up Ray.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: You Still Want To Hunt Grizzly With A Muzzleloader?   May 12th 2016, 7:10 am

Pete,
That's how they did it in the old days. Those mountain men probably didn't have long life spans but they hunted with ML.ers. I wonder how many had .58 cals. That would interesting to find out. scratch

Ray......... t up

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw

PostSubject: Re: You Still Want To Hunt Grizzly With A Muzzleloader?   May 12th 2016, 7:24 am

More mountain men were killed by grizzlies than grizzlies killed by mountain men.

Not a good idea.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sharpsman

Male Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2016-02-13

PostSubject: Re: You Still Want To Hunt Grizzly With A Muzzleloader?   May 12th 2016, 7:55 am

Man...definitely isn't at the TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN!! :Hide
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw

PostSubject: Re: You Still Want To Hunt Grizzly With A Muzzleloader?   May 12th 2016, 8:23 am

@Sharpsman wrote:
Man...definitely isn't at the TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN!! :Hide

Unless he has a .458 mag.  Wink

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1526
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: You Still Want To Hunt Grizzly With A Muzzleloader?   May 12th 2016, 8:24 am

I find that picture a little difficult to accept... 
Cool to see, but hard to believe.

Where is the blood? A small scalp wound bleeds like a hose. 

Why is he still on his feet? To prevent shock, don't you lay a man down and raise his feet and keep him in blankets? 

There appears to be skull damage. How is he conscious? 

Why were they wasting time for a photo shoot when they clearly had an emergency to tend to? It makes no sense to me.

It also looks like a lot of great stage and film make up I have seen so I know it can be faked easily. 

And, I am crazy, but I would do the bear hunt with a muzzleloader. I would want a good back up shooter. 
If life gives you a chance like that to do something you love, how do you say no? (I might be happier with the 
.348 WIN Model 71 Browning, but hey! Who knows? Make me an offer and let me decide!)

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: You Still Want To Hunt Grizzly With A Muzzleloader?   May 12th 2016, 8:36 am

That wound appears to be catastrophic but is really fairly superficial compared to what an IED explosion might do.
It's difficult to tell, but judging by the after photo, the worst thing was the loss of the left eye. It's possible that his nose is still there but on the back side of that mass of bloody tissue. The nose and the front of the face is mostly thin bone surrounding spaces (sinuses). There isn't much substance there. Taking the gory flap of skin on the left and folding it back and sewing it up may produce a fairly recognizable human face.

I have killed 2 (black) bears and that is enough for me. I have no desire to kill a grizzly unless it has evil in its mind toward me.
I will pass on the bear hunt.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw

PostSubject: Re: You Still Want To Hunt Grizzly With A Muzzleloader?   May 12th 2016, 8:43 am

Nobody really knows what they'd do facing a grizzly until they do it. The 5 years I worked a gold claim in Alaska let me know what'd i'd do. They did get my blood pumping pretty hard and I had a .458 mag in my hands and a .44 mag on my hip.

To face a grizzly with a muzzleloader and no backup (handgun) is what I do for black bear. I wouldn't try it with a grizzly. The old mountain men didn't have a choice. I do and I know what a grizz is like up close. It's something to not be taken lightly. Mountain men were lucky to live to 35 years old. I'm sure grizzlies had something to do with that.

As for the above pictures. There was no article to go with them. They were posted on a forum with the poster saying he works with a doctor who works with the doctor who treated the guy in the picture. Could be bull, or might be a hell of a tough dude.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: You Still Want To Hunt Grizzly With A Muzzleloader?   May 12th 2016, 11:45 am

theres no scar on the forehead either if you noticed the "healed" picture.

Bear attacks can happen any time. Out walking, hunting, fishing, you name it. You could even be sleeping and have a bear out a window or go through your tent. Just something you live with when you live in an are with them.
Back to top Go down
patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: You Still Want To Hunt Grizzly With A Muzzleloader?   May 12th 2016, 12:28 pm

The Feds are preparing to turn over the management of grizzlies to Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming for all the bears out of Yellowstone.

Montana, Wyoming, Idaho prepare for return of grizzly hunts

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/energy-environment/rocky-mountain-states-prepare-for-return-of-grizzly-hunts/2016/05/12/623e8f8e-180a-11e6-971a-dadf9ab18869_story.html

Back to top Go down
View user profile
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: You Still Want To Hunt Grizzly With A Muzzleloader?   May 12th 2016, 5:29 pm

cheers

I guess that's why the Indians were fast runners because they hunted with bows and arrows and it's not the bows of today. scratch

Ray............ t up

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: You Still Want To Hunt Grizzly With A Muzzleloader?   May 12th 2016, 5:34 pm

Ray, all except for the one indian fellow they called "Shits his pants" Laughing
Back to top Go down
Bear Claw

PostSubject: Re: You Still Want To Hunt Grizzly With A Muzzleloader?   May 12th 2016, 8:20 pm

@hawgslayer wrote:
cheers

I guess that's why the Indians were fast runners because they hunted with bows and arrows and it's not the bows of today. scratch

Ray............ t up

They hunted for buffalo. Not grizzlies.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
AMRE2ME2

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2013-10-25

PostSubject: Re: You Still Want To Hunt Grizzly With A Muzzleloader?   May 13th 2016, 5:42 am

The biggest issue hunting Grizzlies with a ML isn't the gun. Any ML with the proper load can kill a bear. It's the shooter behind the gun that is the weak link. I guided for Grizzlies and brown bear for 18 years and in that time had 5-6 muzzleloader hunters. As I remember, I think I ended up killing most of those bears with my rifle because of a poor shot placement. Even after having lengthy discussions before the hunt on the importance of shot placement, the average shooter, for lack of a better word, is horrible. 
 Brown/Grizzlies will generally leave you alone as long as they know you are there and in most cases run away. It's when you surprise them up close is when they get grumpy. I've had several bears charge me but I've been fortunate that I didn't have to kill the bear. When a bear is wounded, all 'typical behavior' goes out the window. They will come after you if they have the chance.

This picture is a grumpy sow that came after us while filming a hunting show. She stopped her charge at 12 yards. My hunter and I both had our guns up but neither of us had to shoot. But it was close.

y
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rmwildlifestudios.com
Old Smoke

Male Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2016-01-28

PostSubject: Re: You Still Want To Hunt Grizzly With A Muzzleloader?   May 13th 2016, 5:46 am

If 12 yards is not close enough to shoot a grumpy charging sow, how close is?  Point blank?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AMRE2ME2

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2013-10-25

PostSubject: Re: You Still Want To Hunt Grizzly With A Muzzleloader?   May 13th 2016, 6:07 am

As soon as she turned and ran away, I asked Pat Boyer, the show host, why didn't he shoot (other then because I was telling him don't shoot, don't shoot.)  He said "for some reason I knew it was a bluff charge". I don't know what it was but we both felt the same way. We would have been legal to shoot her especially since we had the charge on film but fortunately Pat is a very experienced hunter and he was cool and calm. They said it was the best footage they had ever shot and ended up using it as their trailer at the beginning of the show each week.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rmwildlifestudios.com
Bear Claw

PostSubject: Re: You Still Want To Hunt Grizzly With A Muzzleloader?   May 13th 2016, 6:44 am

You'd guide a hunter using a round ball?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Smoke

Male Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2016-01-28

PostSubject: Re: You Still Want To Hunt Grizzly With A Muzzleloader?   May 13th 2016, 7:14 am

You guys obviously assumed correctly.  I'd have had 3 or 4 shots into her before she got that close, and then out run my hunting buddy.  No way I could have not shot.  Cool and calm I would not be.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 3339
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: You Still Want To Hunt Grizzly With A Muzzleloader?   May 13th 2016, 8:47 am

@Old Smoke wrote:
You guys obviously assumed correctly.  I'd have had 3 or 4 shots into her before she got that close, and then out run my hunting buddy.  No way I could have not shot.  Cool and calm I would not be.
Not having any grizzly experience that would be my reaction as well.  The scariest scenario would be when you are without any weapon. pale pale pale ...

-------------------------------------------------
p.s. While there may very well have been an attack, I really find the picture hard to be original or unedited.   Not enough blood on the coat and anyone in that condition should be in shock and not standing.  
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: You Still Want To Hunt Grizzly With A Muzzleloader?   May 13th 2016, 9:11 am

She certainly doesn't look like she's bluffing. Shocked

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: You Still Want To Hunt Grizzly With A Muzzleloader?   

Back to top Go down

You Still Want To Hunt Grizzly With A Muzzleloader?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Off Topic-Free for All :: Off Topic-Free for All-
Jump to: