HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

PKK Fighter Takes Out Turkish Attack Helicopter

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
falcon

Male Number of posts : 1357
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: PKK Fighter Takes Out Turkish Attack Helicopter   May 14th 2016, 7:35 pm

The PKK and the Turks have been fighting for decades.  The missile is an improved Russian SA-7: 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/video-shows-pkk-fighter-blasting-214500212.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5406
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: PKK Fighter Takes Out Turkish Attack Helicopter   May 15th 2016, 11:14 am

Deadly missile if it can be that effective with little training.

The Kurds and Turkmen are centuries-old enemies. I have a book written by the British Consul General to Eastern Persia (Iran), Major R. L. Kennion. He was perhaps the last westerner to hunt and kill tigers in Persia. He was one of the few who had permission to travel unhindered by the government.
He shows a photo of a group of Kurds just back from a raid into Turkmenistan. Each of the Kurds had a Turkmen head on the end of a lance. This happened in the early Twentieth Century.

BY MOUNTAIN, LAKE, AND PLAIN: Being Sketches of Sport in Eastern Persia.
KENNION, Major R L
Published by William Blackwood 1911

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
falcon

Male Number of posts : 1357
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: PKK Fighter Takes Out Turkish Attack Helicopter   May 16th 2016, 7:33 am

The SA-7 MANPAD is user friendly.  i know two guys who trained on the missile in the old Soviet Union. 

Beginning in early 1972 the US lost numerous aircraft in Vietnam to the SA-7.  Six months later aircraft losses had virtually ceased after aircraft were fitted with flare dispensers.    Active duty Special operations folks tell me that close air support in Afghanistan is inhibited by the presence of the  SA-7. 

After  Libya was overthrown 5,000-7,000 SA-7 missiles went somewhere.   The two former SEALS killed at Benghazi were attempting to round up those missiles.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PKK Fighter Takes Out Turkish Attack Helicopter   

Back to top Go down

PKK Fighter Takes Out Turkish Attack Helicopter
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Off Topic-Free for All :: Off Topic-Free for All-
Jump to: