Having In-laws that Are Farmers Is a Good Thing

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5406
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Having In-laws that Are Farmers Is a Good Thing   May 25th 2016, 7:09 am

My wife's family are/were mostly farmers and my nephew still dabbles in it. It's the easiest way I know to go broke slowly.

My nephew planted a crop of tomatoes on 8 acres of my mother-in-law's land and got a bumper crop. Of course, a week before his crop came in, the price dropped. He told us to get all we wanted plus a bunch of summer squash and okra.

Here's a few of the culls that my wife picked:

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
John Neslen

Number of posts : 477
Registration date : 2015-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Having In-laws that Are Farmers Is a Good Thing   May 25th 2016, 7:31 am

Sorry to hear of your nephews lose.
Nothing better than fresh vegetables off the vine.  I think tomatoes are classed as a fruit?

John
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Having In-laws that Are Farmers Is a Good Thing   May 25th 2016, 8:21 am

As my Botany professor hammered into us, "Any plant product that contains the reproductive part is considered a fruit."
In that case, corn, peas, squash, nuts, peppers, etc. are all fruits. Since potatoes contain the "eyes", I wonder if they are fruits also. scratch

Animal fruits would be restricted to mountain oysters ...... and Caitlyn types.  Razz

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1526
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Having In-laws that Are Farmers Is a Good Thing   May 25th 2016, 9:00 am

Nothing beats fresh tomatoes off the land. 

Gonna make some relish or fried green tomatoes?

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA

Last edited by Kentucky Colonel on May 25th 2016, 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
falcon

Male Number of posts : 1357
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Having In-laws that Are Farmers Is a Good Thing   May 25th 2016, 12:20 pm

A good tomato is hard to beat.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Having In-laws that Are Farmers Is a Good Thing   May 25th 2016, 12:42 pm

@Kentucky Colonel wrote:
Gonna make some relish or fried green tomatoes?

I don't care for fried green tomatoes = no taste AFAIC. The only relish I make is a hot pepper relish with serrano & habanero peppers, onions, and garlic with some tomatoes thrown in. I already picked some serranos yesterday.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonC
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 899
Registration date : 2013-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Having In-laws that Are Farmers Is a Good Thing   May 25th 2016, 9:22 pm

I'm hungry just looking at those tomatoes!
When I was a kid, we lived immediately next to a tomato and watermelon farm. THe neighborhood kids would play baseball behind my house and a home run just happened to land in the tomato section of the farm. We used the excuse of looking for the ball to fill our arms with ripe tomatoes. We ate them like apples.
Ron

patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Having In-laws that Are Farmers Is a Good Thing   May 26th 2016, 10:04 am

My father-in-law and BIL farmed watermelons together for 40 years. They had 2 bonanza years and 10 years where they made a small profit, the rest of the time they lost money. They always had beautiful melons but they hardly ever had their crop come in before the other farmers. Only the ones who brought in the first crops made the money.

One year they gambled and started too early but a freeze killed all the plants. They re-planted anyway and came in dead last but it was in the middle of June. They made a profit that year by selling the melons locally for the Fourth of July.

Next to running the Federal Government, farming is the surest way to always be in the "red".

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Having In-laws that Are Farmers Is a Good Thing   

Back to top Go down

Having In-laws that Are Farmers Is a Good Thing
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Off Topic-Free for All :: Off Topic-Free for All-
Jump to: