HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Cast bullets for sabots or Lee REALbullet

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sgt Recoil

Male Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2015-10-11

PostSubject: Cast bullets for sabots or Lee REALbullet   June 19th 2016, 10:39 am

So since i posted on here about my new TC Encore 209x50 muzzle loader as well as my range day. I found that I was near maxed out on elevation with the 300gr XTP's at 100yds. So my question here is; Because of the cost of the Hornady XTP and since I cast boolits for 50 and 45 (.452) would I not be better off going that route? It's cheaper, I have lots of lead and if everything works I'll hopefully be successful this fall with taking down a whitetail deer with said bullets. What are your thoughts and experiences?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14521
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Cast bullets for sabots or Lee REALbullet   June 19th 2016, 11:05 am

to fast of twist for the real's. You'd be better off casting pistol bullets for the sabots.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Sgt Recoil

PostSubject: Re: Cast bullets for sabots or Lee REALbullet   June 20th 2016, 12:25 am

Kinda what I figured with the REAL. Im thinking of going the .452 round nose style in 230gr RN or TC as My luck with the 255 & 300gr boolets never grouped so well. I did the start at 50grs mans work up. Groups weren't satisfactory to my liking.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sgt Recoil

PostSubject: Re: Cast bullets for sabots or Lee REALbullet   June 20th 2016, 2:30 pm

To heck with it all lol. I was at a gunstore today looking for an airgun scope when I noticed all their muzzleloading accessories were on clearance!!
So I bought all the Hornady 240gr XTP's they had left (6 packs of 20) for $7 bucks ea regularly $14.95. 
So maybe if and when I get bored I'll re-venture this cast boolit quest!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoexBlackhorn

Male Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2015-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Cast bullets for sabots or Lee REALbullet   July 6th 2016, 5:17 pm

Sgt Recoil wrote:
So since i posted on here about my new TC Encore 209x50 muzzle loader as well as my range day. I found that I was near maxed out on elevation with the 300gr XTP's at 100yds.

You should NOT be about maxed-out with your new open sights. Something seems amiss, like maybe the factory put the wrong (most likely) front sight on your new T/C Encore.

You should investigate that further.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dr1445

Male Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2015-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Cast bullets for sabots or Lee REALbullet   August 9th 2016, 3:02 pm

for info only. i picked up some lee REAL molds to try in my inlines. i found that beagling the mold with .002 to .005" shims, depending on the rifle worked ok. if the shim is to large the follow up shots are very hard to load.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cast bullets for sabots or Lee REALbullet   

Back to top Go down

Cast bullets for sabots or Lee REALbullet
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: