AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14680
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Good motor oil?   June 19th 2016, 11:55 am

Looking for some help on this.

My dads truck, an old 91 f250 with the 460.

Last September the motor started knocking ( pass side valve train) when i pulled into the driveway with the camper after hunting season. We flushed the motor, drained it and everything was perfect.

It did the same thing to me last week, but went away once i revved it.

This time around, the oil was perfectly full, not pulling anything. I felt the oil and it didn't have that nice sticky/slick feel that oil normally has.

460's are very famous for liking clean oil otherwise they start making noise. They are also famous for running HOT.

Engine temp is great, oil pressure is right at 69 psi which is almost like a new motor, compression is in the 120-125psi range.

Currently running Valvoline high mileage 10-40 and it just does not hold up. Its lucky to get 2,000 miles before the oil starts breaking down and loosing its slickness. I just changed the oil but put an additive that supposedly helps slow down the oil break down. We'll see how that goes. Prior to the oil change, I ran a quart of ATF in the motor to clean it out. It seemed to do better than diesel fuel.

I am thinking about switching to Rotella 15-40 since its normally a diesel oil which should be able to stand up to the heat and strain while pulling. This or Castrol/Valvoline FULL Synthetic.

What do you guys think I should run? The Valvoline HM isn't cutting it.

Also, I run either Bosch or AC Delco oil filters on this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Bear Claw

Male Number of posts : 9568
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Good motor oil?   June 19th 2016, 1:03 pm

Mobile 1, but you have to take out a loan to buy it.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
John Neslen

Number of posts : 477
Registration date : 2015-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Good motor oil?   June 19th 2016, 1:03 pm

Jonathan,
Rotella 15-40 Synthetic with T6. It has been the best oil used in all our ranch rigs (gas and diesel), cars, pickups and ATV's, T6 is the additive needed for wet clutches. Never a problem and always a clean engine internally.

John
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Good motor oil?   June 19th 2016, 1:19 pm

Pete, its not a good idea to run mobil 1 in an engine this old. Its an oil made for tighter tolerance engines.
Back to top Go down
John Neslen

Number of posts : 477
Registration date : 2015-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Good motor oil?   June 19th 2016, 1:56 pm

There is a Mobil 1 high mileage oil.

John
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw

PostSubject: Re: Good motor oil?   June 19th 2016, 2:32 pm

I use it in my Jeep.

You said it was rebuilt, so it's not high mileage. Here it is if you want it.

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-high-mileage

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokin' Joe
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1802
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Good motor oil?   June 19th 2016, 3:42 pm

Here's my recommendation:  Amsoil 
http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/vehiclelookuppage.aspx?url2=1991+FORD TRUCKS+F250 HD PICKUP+G

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Good motor oil?   June 19th 2016, 3:45 pm

No its not rebuilt. It has something like 124k on it. Your jeep i am sure runs much tighter tolerances in the bearing than our 7.5l does. I will have to email them but the mobil 1 products generally are for your newer engines. I ran it in a 71 buick once and it wiped out my rocker arm shafts.
Back to top Go down
Bear Claw

PostSubject: Re: Good motor oil?   June 19th 2016, 4:01 pm

Let me know what they say.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5406
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Good motor oil?   June 19th 2016, 4:08 pm

I use a full synthetic (5w-20) but my truck only has 60 k on the engine.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigAl52
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 429
Registration date : 2016-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Good motor oil?   June 19th 2016, 8:39 pm

Jonathan
Ive been around trucks for 40 plus years and the only difference in a diesel oil and a regular oil is the detergent additives in the oil. The chemical by produts from the combustion of diesel are different than gas. Oils marked synthetic are not always synthetic. An oil that might have a synthetic additive will be labeled synthetic too be sold for more money. Mobil one sued Castrol years ago and lost when Castrol first came out with the syntec oil. Theres only a handful of true synthetic oil companys. Mobil One Red line Royal Purple Motul and Amsoil to name the majors. I dont think the Shell Rotella will do any better than what you have been using. Not sure what noise you are hearing if its lifter noise there is other issues besides oil issues that could be present. Im in agreement with Smokin Joe. Ive used and sold Amsoil since 1978 with no issues. I remember when I told people that I used it and they called me crazy. I now know alot of people who use it and swear by it. But its all a personal choice. Oil threads are danger zones Al

TC Hawken 58 cal Green Mtn drop in barrel
TC Renegade 58 cal
GRRW 50 cal
GRRW 58 cal
Lyman GPR 54 cal flintlock L&R lock davis deerslayer trigger
Lyman Trade Rifle 54 cal
CVA Hawken 58 cal by Jonathan
Hawken Squirrel Rifle 40 cal by John Bergman
Pedersoli Penn Rifle 50 cal flintlock
Back to top Go down
View user profile
olehunter

Male Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2015-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Good motor oil?   June 19th 2016, 10:13 pm

Back 30 years ago I had a Ford with a 390 v8 The lifts started to click I added some auto trans fluid to engine oil,, Lift noise went away ,,, Cheap fix for me ,,about a quart of it
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Smoke

Male Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2016-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Good motor oil?   June 20th 2016, 4:16 am

Go to "Bobistheoilguy.com".  The associated forums more accumulated lube knowledge than I thought existed.  Your answer is on there somewhere.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Standing Bear

Male Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2014-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Good motor oil?   June 20th 2016, 6:14 am

I've found good info on site below. Usually a certified tech chimes in. 
TC

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum7/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark1945

Male Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2015-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Good motor oil?   June 20th 2016, 8:20 am

I run Motorcraft 5w-20 in my 2001 F150  5.4 V8 with 198000 miles never have any problems .

Cabelas 58 cal Hawken             Colt Navy 36 cal                     Pietta 1863 Remington pocket rev 31 cal
Pedersoli Kodiak 58 cal             CVA 58 Cal. Mountain Rifle      Classic Arms Co 44 Cal New Orleans Ace
CVA 45 Cal Derringer               TC Renegade 54cal                 Navy Arms Co. Pietta 12 gauge double
Pedersoli 12 gauge double        Traditions Crockett 32 cal        2 Traditions Mountain Rifles 50 cal
Pietta 1851 Conf Navy 44
Back to top Go down
View user profile
falcon

Male Number of posts : 1357
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Good motor oil?   June 21st 2016, 8:54 am

There is lots of good motor oil out there. For about 50 years i've used Pennzoil in in our gasoline engined vehicles and other stuff. Have never had any complaints. My diesel engined stuff gets Shell Rotella.

Recently changed the timing chain and gears on my 1994 Toyota pickup that has about 210,000 miles. Changed the oil and filter and went to Castrol 10-40 GTX hi mileage oil. The oil pressure went up by about five psi.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw

PostSubject: Re: Good motor oil?   June 21st 2016, 12:10 pm

The one thing I don't like about regular oil is when it's cold out. When I start up on a cold morning it takes too long for the oil pressure to come up. It always scares me when the engine is running and it shows no oil pressure. Even if it is for just a few seconds. With Mobil1 the oil pressure jumps up when it's cold.

Another thing I don't like is when i'm 4wheeling on a tight trails and the rpm is really low. The oil pressure drops way down too low. Again with Mobil1 it doesn't do that.

Mobil1 High Mileage also seems to soften up seals. I used to have a rear main leaking and it was getting on my clutch. The clutch would always chatter when it was cold. That went away with Mobil1 too. I don't see any more leaks under the bell housing.

Maybe i'm just lucky, but maybe Mobil 1 is a hell of an oil too. It's got me convinced it is.

My Jeep only has 120,000 miles on it. Not a lot, but they weren't miles going to the mall. I'll bet 80,000 of the miles were hard off roading. Lots of low rpm lugging which is not that kind for an engine. Plus, a full time diet of dust.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Good motor oil?   June 29th 2016, 1:43 pm

Think we got it fixed now guys.

The thermostat was stuck and fords pre set gauges are not worth a shit. The hood and fenders used to be HOT after a simple drive to the mail boxes. We changed it out yesterday, took it for a nice long ride, came home and the hood was warm to the touch and no engine heat smell now.

My brother tested the old thermo in 200*+ boiling water and it wouldn't open for jack squat. Its supposed to run a 195* thermo.

I bet that 460 was running so damn hot, the oil was just breaking down from the heat.

This should do the trick and keep the motor running trouble free.
Back to top Go down
Bear Claw

PostSubject: Re: Good motor oil?   June 29th 2016, 3:34 pm

Do you have a temp gauge, or an idiot light? Was the light/gauge working?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Good motor oil?   June 29th 2016, 5:27 pm

gauge.

The bad thing is, during the 80s and 90's, ford used preset gauges to read a certain area on the gauge. Its not actual temps. They did this because of people complaining about low oil PSI on the gauge and so they started to preset them to read a certain area on the gauge.

Typical ford crew IMO.

My dads looking into putting in a set of good aftermarket gauges in that actually read the levels.

This motor is putting out 74 PSI oil on cold start up and 69 psi when hot. The gauge barely shows it at the N on "Normal"

"Background

In many '80s and '90s Ford vehicles that come equipped with an oil pressure gauge, the gauge wiring and sender came from the factory in such a away that it isn't a "true" oil pressure gauge. There are many websites out there that explain this unexpected and deceptive piece of engineering from Ford, and if you Google for things like "ford oil pressure gauge real convert" or "f150 oil pressure gauge real convert" where you can find many more unhappy car and truck owners trying to figure this out - and if possible, fix it.

Ford even had the audacity to release a service bulletin that explained to dealers how to retrofit this dysfunctional system to earlier vehicles if customers came in complaining about low oil pressure. Instead of simply explaining to the customer how to properly read the gauge or (*gasp*) making sure the engines were actually working right, Ford told it's dealers to make the gauge "lie" and claim that anything over ~4.5 PSI of oil pressure was shown as in the middle of the "normal" range on the gauge face.

TSB #88-5-14 is one example of this for the 1987-1988 F series trucks and Broncos. If you need to wonder why Ford has been so hard pressed to make money recently, you need not look much further than stunts like this. I can't imagine how screwed up their corporate engineering and marketing culture has to get to even consider something like this, but they did, and boy do they have problems these days. But, I digress..."
Back to top Go down
mark1945

Male Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2015-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Good motor oil?   June 29th 2016, 5:57 pm

get a new sender from autozone or oreillys and your oil pressure gauge will be way more accurate .

Cabelas 58 cal Hawken             Colt Navy 36 cal                     Pietta 1863 Remington pocket rev 31 cal
Pedersoli Kodiak 58 cal             CVA 58 Cal. Mountain Rifle      Classic Arms Co 44 Cal New Orleans Ace
CVA 45 Cal Derringer               TC Renegade 54cal                 Navy Arms Co. Pietta 12 gauge double
Pedersoli 12 gauge double        Traditions Crockett 32 cal        2 Traditions Mountain Rifles 50 cal
Pietta 1851 Conf Navy 44
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Good motor oil?   June 29th 2016, 7:21 pm

I've had enough of those parts from both stores. Actually, I have to pull the alternator and replace it again. It gets less than 5,000 miles each year and the Alt. from O'reillys already has a bad bearing.

Napa/car quest/dealer, from now on.
Back to top Go down
Bear Claw

PostSubject: Re: Good motor oil?   June 29th 2016, 7:27 pm

I was talking about the temp gauge. A stuck thermostat should pin a temp gauge in a couple of blocks and boil over.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Good motor oil?   June 29th 2016, 7:29 pm

yes it should but not when ford rigs them to read normal all the time. Same with oil pressure.
Back to top Go down
Bear Claw

PostSubject: Re: Good motor oil?   June 29th 2016, 7:40 pm

Definitely get rid of those gauges. Might as well have no gauges as use those.

I've never been a Ford fan. Except the old Ford coupes of the 30-40s, but I always put Chevy running gear in then.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Good motor oil?   

Back to top Go down

Good motor oil?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Off Topic-Free for All :: Off Topic-Free for All-
Jump to: