Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14680
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Fun Jeeping & rock climbing adventure   June 24th 2016, 9:49 pm

Yesterday we got up early and my nephew & I and a couple friends went for a ride up into the mountains on a kick ass 4x4 trail. We figured the snow was melted and most of it was. Some places on the trail looked more like shallow creeks with a couple inches of water running down them. I commented that this isn't good, there'sa blockage somewhere up the trail.

2 miles from the summit, we hit the blockage and my nephew got the shovel out and started clearing a path through the 2 foot deep snow.

While he was clearing snow I went for a hike up the trail and found another small blockade and a little further I look up and was like... OOOOkay, that's about 4 feet deep, I don't think hes up for digging that much snow out of the way! Laughing

I got back told him to stop, its bad ahead. Of course no one believes me and they take off for a walk and just come back bummed out.

I was actually able to turn that jeep around on a tiny narrow trail. One end had a nice wall behind the jeep and the other was a nice steep slope.  I chose to ride the wall and got it turned around, looking like Austin Powers on his golf cart.

The trail was really rough from all that snow melt. Going down was much more enjoyable but the ol Jeep pulled through without any problems other than having to idle it up a bit so I wouldn't have to ride the clutch.

On the way back we stopped at a beautiful place to do a little rock climbing. It took me a while to get up and then I crawled across the top of it due to my extreme fear of heights. Getting down wasn't so bad but when the wind kicked up, I seriously laid flat and hugged the rock I was on top of while our friend made his way down.

My nephew is the one in the pictures below. I don't have a freaking clue how he does it but I was on my back taking pictures and just wanted to throw up at the monkey like climbing abilities he has. I even videoed him handing from the edge of the rock and swinging his legs around. I swear this trip at least 3 years off my life after he climbed that rock cliff.

Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
QuinnTheEskimo

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2016-05-21

PostSubject: Re: Fun Jeeping & rock climbing adventure   June 25th 2016, 4:01 am

Great thread! What year is that Jeep?

Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 3339
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Fun Jeeping & rock climbing adventure   June 25th 2016, 4:33 am

What a Face My hands are sweaty just seeing those climbing pics. pale   Recalls for me those days of being young and fearless.  Those days are surely gone for me now.  I don't even do tree stands Laughing

AWESOME scenery. That must have been a great breath of fresh, mountain air Exclamation  I have to wait another 6 months to have cold weather and snow under my feet.

FG, Are you on public ground  Question
Back to top Go down
View user profile
John Neslen

Number of posts : 477
Registration date : 2015-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Fun Jeeping & rock climbing adventure   June 25th 2016, 6:45 am

I expected pictures of the jeep going over giant boulders.........looks like fun was had by all.

John
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw

Male Number of posts : 9568
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Fun Jeeping & rock climbing adventure   June 25th 2016, 7:11 am

4wheeling...yes.

Rock climbing...no.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Fun Jeeping & rock climbing adventure   June 25th 2016, 9:21 am

@QuinnTheEskimo wrote:

Its a '73

Marty, yes we were in San Isabel Ntl Forest. Its a beautiful place! The 4x4 trail is actually an OLD mining trail. What the hell they drove on it in the day I do not know but it would have been scary back in the old days.
Back to top Go down
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5406
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Fun Jeeping & rock climbing adventure   June 25th 2016, 11:54 am

Your nephew looks a lot like his dad.
Beautiful country.

When I was younger, I could go up places like that but not back down without scrapes and bruises.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw

PostSubject: Re: Fun Jeeping & rock climbing adventure   June 25th 2016, 1:30 pm

@FrontierGander wrote:
The 4x4 trail is actually an OLD mining trail. What the hell they drove on it in the day I do not know but it would have been scary back in the old days.

A horse.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Fun Jeeping & rock climbing adventure   June 25th 2016, 2:54 pm

don't think horses Pete, theres an old Gardener air pump at the one area the mine fell in. One small section of the mine is open, been in it a few times, still has narrow tracks, water pipe and possibly air pipes running through the shaft until the rubble starts.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Fun Jeeping & rock climbing adventure   June 27th 2016, 12:24 am

I found this one from 2013! This was his first crazy stunt he pulled where he was swinging back and forth by one arm. I showed his mom the video and she about freaked out on him LOL.

Back to top Go down
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5406
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Fun Jeeping & rock climbing adventure   June 27th 2016, 6:09 am

Yikes!

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw

PostSubject: Re: Fun Jeeping & rock climbing adventure   June 27th 2016, 8:05 am

Yes, a bit nuts.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sharpsman

Male Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2016-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Fun Jeeping & rock climbing adventure   June 27th 2016, 9:41 am

Kids have to learn.....the hard way!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lighthorseman

Male Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2016-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Fun Jeeping & rock climbing adventure   June 27th 2016, 11:31 am

@FrontierGander wrote:
@QuinnTheEskimo wrote:

Its a '73

Marty, yes we were in San Isabel Ntl Forest. Its a beautiful place! The 4x4 trail is actually an OLD mining trail. What the hell they drove on it in the day I do not know but it would have been scary back in the old days.
Where? Wet Mountains?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw

PostSubject: Re: Fun Jeeping & rock climbing adventure   June 27th 2016, 11:57 am

Wet Mountains are pretty far north for Jon.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Fun Jeeping & rock climbing adventure   June 27th 2016, 12:16 pm

Sangre's by Cuchara Colorado.
Back to top Go down
lighthorseman

PostSubject: Re: Fun Jeeping & rock climbing adventure   June 27th 2016, 12:36 pm

Gotcha...it sorta look like Horn Peak in one of the photos. We looked at some land west of Cachura for our school but it fell though. Would loveto buy that 83,000 acre
 ranch on the opposit ....west side of the Sangres "Cielo Vista Ranch"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Fun Jeeping & rock climbing adventure   June 27th 2016, 1:22 pm

I see. This peak is actually called Trinchera Peak. Its up by bear and blue lake.
Back to top Go down
Bear Claw

PostSubject: Re: Fun Jeeping & rock climbing adventure   June 27th 2016, 1:29 pm

Bear Lake  =   Go bear hunting there.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
lighthorseman

PostSubject: Re: Fun Jeeping & rock climbing adventure   June 27th 2016, 1:36 pm

I spent most of my time in the Sanges between Medino Pass (don't think I spelled that right) and Dry Creek drainage.  Live at the base of Crestone basin.

One page of history is worth more than a book of logic
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lighthorseman

PostSubject: Re: Fun Jeeping & rock climbing adventure   June 27th 2016, 1:39 pm

Killed my first bear outside of Horn Creek Ranch below Horn Peak

One page of history is worth more than a book of logic
Back to top Go down
View user profile
falcon

Male Number of posts : 1357
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Fun Jeeping & rock climbing adventure   June 27th 2016, 2:23 pm

Makes me want to build another Jeep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw

PostSubject: Re: Fun Jeeping & rock climbing adventure   June 27th 2016, 2:29 pm

@falcon wrote:
Makes me want to build another Jeep.

Never a bad idea. I'd feel incomplete without mine.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sharpsman

Male Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2016-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Fun Jeeping & rock climbing adventure   June 27th 2016, 2:57 pm

If Jeep would furnish me a lifetime supply of Preparation H I might buy another but I've owned one and the two proudest days of my life was the day I bought that CJ7 and the day I sold it!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw

PostSubject: Re: Fun Jeeping & rock climbing adventure   June 27th 2016, 3:01 pm

You had old school leaf springs. From 97 on they have coil springs and ride like a pickup now.

After market long travel suspension like I have is even better.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fun Jeeping & rock climbing adventure   

Back to top Go down

Fun Jeeping & rock climbing adventure
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Off Topic-Free for All :: Off Topic-Free for All-
Jump to: