Share | 

Fun Jeeping & rock climbing adventure

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
falcon

Male Number of posts : 1357
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Fun Jeeping & rock climbing adventure   June 27th 2016, 7:57 pm

I owned a new 1967 Jeepster, a new 1983 CJ8 Scrambler and several used Jeeps including a FC150.

Then I built one on a 1951 flat fender chassis.   Put a new Sears body in it, installed a 2.3 turbo engine from an 85 SVO Mustang, lockers, an SM 420 four speed transmission and a Warn overdrive.   On the road it screamed.  It also had oodles of off road power.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lighthorseman

Male Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2016-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Fun Jeeping & rock climbing adventure   June 27th 2016, 10:16 pm

'67, '69 Jeepster Commandos, '74 CJ-5, '83 Scrambler and '53 Willys wagon...loved them all! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw

Male Number of posts : 9568
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Fun Jeeping & rock climbing adventure   June 28th 2016, 7:03 am

Two CJ5. One with then Buick v6. Crappy engine compared to the straight six. Three CJ7. One with the AMC V8. My present 98 Jeep TJ s the best of all of them by a wide wide margin.

All of them were built up to the max for serious wheeling. 45 years of hard core wheeling with 4WD clubs. We ran all of the hardest 4wd events. Rubicon, Moab, Hammer Trails etc.

I'd still be doing it, but i'm way too broke to do it anymore. It's really expensive on the level I did it.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lighthorseman

Male Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2016-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Fun Jeeping & rock climbing adventure   June 28th 2016, 9:20 am

I had the "Dauntless" V-6 in my Commandos and I loved it........flew up Floyd Hill on I-70 and got 25 mpg. ...........but had a lot of respect for my inline 6's ........not as much mpg but best for four wheeling in my opinion............well the flat head four in the Willys was best for 4x4. IMHO Laughing

One page of history is worth more than a book of logic
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw

PostSubject: Re: Fun Jeeping & rock climbing adventure   June 28th 2016, 9:54 am

The best is the 4.0 straight six in my 98 Jeep. Fuel injection makes all the difference. It's always in tune at all altitudes and angles. Carbs were always flooding no matter how much you tune them. Anybody who says they aren't is a casual wheeler.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14688
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Fun Jeeping & rock climbing adventure   June 28th 2016, 10:18 am

@lighthorseman wrote:
I had the "Dauntless" V-6 in my Commandos and I loved it........flew up Floyd Hill on I-70 and got 25 mpg. ...........but had a lot of respect for my inline 6's ........not as much mpg but best for four wheeling in my opinion............well the flat head four in the Willys was best for 4x4. IMHO Laughing

Agreed! You can't beat a Buick motor IMO. They've got gobs of torque and I'd like that motor better than the 4.2 in mine.

That flat head 4 sucked ass on the highway though. My brother had one in 59 willys pickup with the 3 speed and im not kidding you. You'd have to switch to 4 low in order to go up hills at a half dead pace.

They were awesome in 4 low and on trails but horrible on the street lol.

On a good day, I'll get 16mpg with an average speed of 70mph. Not to bad for something shaped like a brick and having a 3 speed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Bear Claw

PostSubject: Re: Fun Jeeping & rock climbing adventure   June 28th 2016, 10:31 am

A V6 will never have the low end torque that a straight six has. I hated the V6 that was in my CJ5. Not sure why I bought it, but it wasn't one of the Jeeps I kept for too long. Even the CJ7 with the V8 didn't work as good as the straight six.

I can lug my straight six down to 500rpm going up a climb so steep the front tires are lightly lifting off the ground.

It's easy to spot wheelers who use the wrong engine. They spin their tires a lot to keep from stalling.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fun Jeeping & rock climbing adventure   

Back to top Go down

Fun Jeeping & rock climbing adventure
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Off Topic-Free for All :: Off Topic-Free for All-
Jump to: