US Wildlife Workers Plead Guilty to Poaching

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5406
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: US Wildlife Workers Plead Guilty to Poaching   July 13th 2016, 10:33 am

4 guys from Colorado pleaded guilty to trespassing on private land closed to hunting. Two of them are employed by the US Fish & Wildlife Service. One of them illegally killed a trophy bull elk with a bow.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/energy-environment/us-wildlife-workers-plead-guilty-to-poaching-related-charges/2016/07/12/f1773ff6-489e-11e6-8dac-0c6e4accc5b1_story.html

What did 3 of them get fined? Oh, they got a whopping $86 fine for trespassing while the illegal USFWS guy who shot the elk got a $200 fine but he had to "donate" $5k to the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation. "They could lose their hunting and fishing privileges for 5 years" but it doesn't state that happened.

If any of us did that (and we didn't work for USFWS) would we get off without jail time? You bet your life we wouldn't.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoHiCntry

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2013-10-01

PostSubject: Re: US Wildlife Workers Plead Guilty to Poaching   July 13th 2016, 11:22 am

Seen this on three different forums now, Lol!  I would be very surprised if they kept their jobs.  And being re-hired with another agency with this on your record surely won't be easy.  So they might have just screwed themselves out of a job in the profession they chose.  Let alone the ramifications this might have on supporting their families.  I hope it was worth it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lighthorseman

Male Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2016-05-18

PostSubject: Re: US Wildlife Workers Plead Guilty to Poaching   July 13th 2016, 1:04 pm

I am surprised in Colorado they didn't get much stiffer penalties. I respect Colorado game laws that are specifically hard on trespassers. Our Idaho trespass laws are rather vague and respect for private property rights here is appalling. I had a similar bull that I was watching on our own land, which I was getting ready to ambush, shot out from under me from a road hunter. Because the bull ran off to another private property I wasn't able to get the Fish and Game called before they drug it off.......the officers who did investigate said there was nothing they could do because we didn't have our place adequately posted....even though right where they shot from was a "No Trespass" sign. Of the several shots fired...most in my direction, one broke dirt 30' from me......causing me to seek cover behind a fir.

By the way the bull was shot about 100yds from the house...which was in plain view.
If I lived in Colorado I'd raze a bloody great stink over this.......and enlist my buddies to do likewise......a good thing to bring up at a wildlife commission meeting! Evil or Very Mad

One page of history is worth more than a book of logic
Back to top Go down
View user profile
John Neslen

Number of posts : 477
Registration date : 2015-02-28

PostSubject: Re: US Wildlife Workers Plead Guilty to Poaching   July 13th 2016, 1:33 pm

ref: Private property in Idaho

If the ground has been under cultivation within the last year it is the same as property legally posted.

My neighbor had a trophy whitetail shot in his alfalfa field by a road hunter. He was cited for trespassing but got to keep the animal! He ended up paying a $120 fine. He was an architect from Portland Oregon.
I am sure it is mounted in his office.

For him and others it seems to be much cheaper to poach a trophy than pay most "access fees" or join a gun club!

John
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lighthorseman

PostSubject: Re: US Wildlife Workers Plead Guilty to Poaching   July 13th 2016, 2:09 pm

John

Perhaps that's the problem as we have little cultivated land in Kootenai County....mostly wooded or lake and as it is in the rest of Idaho a few orange markers or signs every so often doesn't seem to deter folks whether hunting or picnicking. If we could convince our legislation to make it illegal to trespass even if the private property isn't posted......property rights are paramount to our American republican values. In this day of topo-maps, GPS and such, there's less and less reason for not knowing where the public land leaves off and the private starts. Some folks here seem to think that "liberty" means they can go and hunt where ever they please. Frustrating thing is that we live only a mile from National Forest......and like Colorado the majority of the state of Idaho is "public" lands. I'm sure it's probably just as prevalent in Colorado....or anywhere else and guess it's more about our entitlement culture than anything else.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: US Wildlife Workers Plead Guilty to Poaching   July 13th 2016, 2:17 pm

Down here, if you are caught with a "weapon" on private land without written permission from the legal owner, it is called 'felony trespass' and you can get a year in jail plus a fine of at least $1000. You also lose all hunting privileges for at least one year. Seldom is the jail sentence handed out unless widespread poaching is encountered. As a convicted felon, you are also prohibited from owning a firearm.

All land is considered posted so written permission is mandatory. Some landowners will also paint their fence posts orange as a further warning.

PS: a "weapon" can be a pocket knife.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
falcon

Male Number of posts : 1357
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: US Wildlife Workers Plead Guilty to Poaching   July 13th 2016, 2:53 pm

Quote :
All land is considered posted so written permission is mandatory. Some landowners will also paint their fence posts orange as a further warning.

That's a good law. 

i totally detest trespassers.   Used to own a property east of  I-35.  The area was plagued with trespassers.   The county sheriff usually found an excuse to not enforce the law:  He usually claimed the property was not "properly posted". 

The trespassing  ended the day that a spanking new Dodge diesel pickup belonging to trespassing hunters burned up on the property adjacent to mine.   Landowner said the catalytic converter caused the fire.      

Bet two federal employees keep their jobs.   The feds almost never fire anyone.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lighthorseman

PostSubject: Re: US Wildlife Workers Plead Guilty to Poaching   July 13th 2016, 3:30 pm

Perhaps the key word here is "federal".

Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: US Wildlife Workers Plead Guilty to Poaching   July 13th 2016, 3:39 pm

"Fish and Wildlife Service spokeswoman Anna Munoz said both men still work for the agency, but she couldn’t comment on whether the service took any action against them."

Direct quote from the article.

My dentist told me that his C.O. in the Army didn't have the power to fire a dental assistant that stole supplies from the clinic. He had to trade her to another colonel for one that he wanted to get rid of.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sharpsman

Male Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2016-02-13

PostSubject: Re: US Wildlife Workers Plead Guilty to Poaching   July 14th 2016, 8:06 pm

My Dad taught me....."If you don't own it don't go on it!"

Pretty damn simple really!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: US Wildlife Workers Plead Guilty to Poaching   

Back to top Go down

US Wildlife Workers Plead Guilty to Poaching
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Off Topic-Free for All :: Off Topic-Free for All-