Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

MUZZLELOADING FORUM

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Ads

Share | 

New Arrival - Traditions Hawken Woodsman Percussion

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15630
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: New Arrival - Traditions Hawken Woodsman Percussion   July 18th 2016, 6:28 pm

Fresh off the big brown truck!

This sucker if BEEFY compared to my Hawken Woodsman Flintlock version. I'll have to ask about that and see if they changed up the design a bit.

Beefy is good!
The Traditions Hawken Woodsman is a serious hunting rifle. The Woodsman has the classic styling and handling of the time-honored Hawken while offering great performance and affordability. Both the percussion and flint models boast a hooked breech for easy barrel removal, click-adjustable rear hunting sight, double-set triggers in an oversized glove-fitting trigger guard with finger rest and an in-letted solid brass patch box. This model is .50 caliber and has a 28" octagonal blued barrel, 15/16th's across the flats,with a twist of 1:48. It is 44.5" in length and weighs 7 7/8 lbs. This particular model has a select (Beechwood) hardwood stock.

Maximum Loads:
110gr 2fg black powder or sub Max load Or 105gr 3fg Black powder or sub, Max load

Now lets take a look at the Percussion model VS my Flintlock model Hawken Woodsman. You can see how beefy the Wrist and Lock panel are on the Percussion Model.

The in-letting is nice and tight, especially around the lock as it requires you to loosen the screws and gently tap on them to help ease the lock out. You can see some light sanding scratches left over, but on a rifle of this price ($388), that will be expected and is no eye sore to me. Especially after a week hunting in the Colorado Oak Brush! Expect to find such light sanding marks on rifles that are 3x the price.

On most traditional muzzleloaders, we are used to seeing the barrel channel, completely hollowed out with a visible ramrod. Traditions leaves the barrel channel SOLID, with the exception of the Wedge Key/Barrel Tenon area as well as the Ramrod Retaining Spring. Leaving the wood in this area whole, was a very smart plan as it keeps the fore-stock solid, rather than hollow and easier to crack from an over tight wedge key. You simply can not squeeze the sides of the stock and watch them give inward like on some models I've owned over the years. SOLID set up!

Tight in-letting, no chipping or splinters where the lock panel was cut out. The wood finish however on the inside of the lock panel was left a little rough and so when fouling gets into this area ( Which it will ) the powder fouling will bed into the rougher texture and be a mess to clean out. I will spend 5 minutes with 150 grit sand paper and knock the roughness down before applying a thin coat of my Anti-Rust & Patch lube. This will make is super easy to wipe fouling out of the lock in-let at the end of the day.

Last edited by FrontierGander on April 17th 2018, 4:51 pm; edited 6 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
BigAl52
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 568
Registration date : 2016-02-03

PostSubject: Re: New Arrival - Traditions Hawken Woodsman Percussion   July 18th 2016, 8:45 pm

What caliber is it Jonathan

John Bergmann 50 cal Lancaster
John Bergmann 54 cal Hawken
GRRW 50 cal
GRRW 58 cal
Lyman GPR 54 cal flintlock L&R lock davis deerslayer trigger
Lyman Trade Rifle 54 cal
CVA Hawken 58 cal by Jonathan
Hawken Squirrel Rifle 40 cal by John Bergman
Pedersoli Penn Rifle 50 cal flintlock
Back to top Go down
View user profile
falcon

Male Number of posts : 1470
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: New Arrival - Traditions Hawken Woodsman Percussion   July 19th 2016, 7:08 am

That's a very nice rifle.  Do your magic on the rifle and report back.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Al-53

Number of posts : 518
Registration date : 2014-12-09

PostSubject: Re: New Arrival - Traditions Hawken Woodsman Percussion   July 19th 2016, 7:21 am

Thats a nice rifle..I noticed that they set all the screw heads in the same direction...to me thats says they paid attention to detail...even the wood looks nice not fancy but not cheap looking...also the inletting looks very tight...

Very nice rifle Jon...as said very beefy...looking forward to see how she shoots....I wish they made a version in .36 caliber for a small game rifle..

Have fun with it...

AL
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 10158
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: New Arrival - Traditions Hawken Woodsman Percussion   July 19th 2016, 8:26 am

Maybe the flintlock stocks were cracking?

Looks like a TC. clown

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hanshi

Male Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2015-01-21

PostSubject: Re: New Arrival - Traditions Hawken Woodsman Percussion   July 19th 2016, 12:36 pm

Just me, but I like the trimness of your flint version.  With that said, The stock is handsomely finished and fit & finish seems to be pretty darn good.  Traditions barrels, IME, are quite good and yield excellent accuracy.  I agree it is a serious rifle for working the bush.  I know you are going to form a bond with this rifle.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.martialartsusa.com
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: New Arrival - Traditions Hawken Woodsman Percussion   July 19th 2016, 3:53 pm

Once more I can not stress how important it is to tear down your new muzzleloader and FULLY CLEAN IT! This was just from the lock and trigger assembly.

See all those tiny metal flakes? Run that through a gun for a while and you'll start to notice some wear.

Last edited by FrontierGander on April 17th 2018, 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
patocazador

Number of posts : 5862
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: New Arrival - Traditions Hawken Woodsman Percussion   July 19th 2016, 4:48 pm

@BigAl52 wrote:

confused confused confused

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: New Arrival - Traditions Hawken Woodsman Percussion   July 19th 2016, 6:16 pm

@patocazador wrote:
@BigAl52 wrote:

confused confused confused

Added that info LATE last night.

Its a .50cal with 1:48 twist and 28" barrel. 15/16th across the flats.
Back to top Go down
lighthorseman

Male Number of posts : 704
Registration date : 2016-05-18

PostSubject: Re: New Arrival - Traditions Hawken Woodsman Percussion   July 19th 2016, 6:51 pm

Nice rifle.....something to be said of the eloquence in the simplicity. Reminds me of my very first muzzleloader which was a Lyman Plains rifle.......but I confess the wood wasn't near as nice as this one. t up

One page of history is worth more than a book of logic
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: New Arrival - Traditions Hawken Woodsman Percussion   July 19th 2016, 7:37 pm

Well, I got the bedding job done, wedge key fit nice and tight right out of the box, so now all I have to do is go shooting!

Last edited by FrontierGander on April 17th 2018, 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BigAl52
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 568
Registration date : 2016-02-03

PostSubject: Re: New Arrival - Traditions Hawken Woodsman Percussion   July 19th 2016, 9:17 pm

Why do all these gun makers build 50 calibers. There not big enuf to hunt with and to big to shoot targets with. What ever happened to a good ole 58 anyway.Deadhorse

John Bergmann 50 cal Lancaster
John Bergmann 54 cal Hawken
GRRW 50 cal
GRRW 58 cal
Lyman GPR 54 cal flintlock L&R lock davis deerslayer trigger
Lyman Trade Rifle 54 cal
CVA Hawken 58 cal by Jonathan
Hawken Squirrel Rifle 40 cal by John Bergman
Pedersoli Penn Rifle 50 cal flintlock
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: New Arrival - Traditions Hawken Woodsman Percussion   July 19th 2016, 10:01 pm

Believe it or not, I can still find the bigger 54cal Hawken Woodsman. Some countries even can get a 45cal HW!
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: New Arrival - Traditions Hawken Woodsman Percussion   July 20th 2016, 10:55 am

This came in an email this morning concerning the two different stock shapes.

Thank you for contacting us with your concerns and observations regarding the percussion and flintlock model Hawken Woodsman rifles you currently own.  We appreciate the images you shared illustrating the differences between your two stocks. Our manufacturer has recently updated tooling as a means of tightening up tolerances in the lock and trigger area, thus reducing the amount of hand-fitting and sanding that had been done in the past.  The objective is to have more consistency with the stock specifications than could be accomplished with the hand-fitting and sanding process. 
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: New Arrival - Traditions Hawken Woodsman Percussion   July 20th 2016, 11:33 am

I don't understand the answer? I'm sure the inletting is being cut by CNC machines. Why did they have to make it thicker to get tighter tolerances? What about the flintlock? Does it get the tighter tolerances too?

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: New Arrival - Traditions Hawken Woodsman Percussion   July 20th 2016, 11:39 am

Its basically a new design thats easier to sand and cut down hands on time.
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: New Arrival - Traditions Hawken Woodsman Percussion   July 20th 2016, 11:42 am

So, the flintlock doesn't get the new method?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador

Number of posts : 5862
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: New Arrival - Traditions Hawken Woodsman Percussion   July 20th 2016, 12:09 pm

Their response is double talk.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: New Arrival - Traditions Hawken Woodsman Percussion   July 20th 2016, 12:26 pm

The flintlock will get the same stock as this one. My flintlock was a last year model. Remember, they are retooling for one of the most famous muzzleloaders made.. The Mountain Rifle.
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: New Arrival - Traditions Hawken Woodsman Percussion   July 20th 2016, 12:28 pm

In that case. It should have a longer barrel. pirat

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: New Arrival - Traditions Hawken Woodsman Percussion   July 20th 2016, 12:32 pm

I got 2 of those mountain rifles on order already :suhlute
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: New Arrival - Traditions Hawken Woodsman Percussion   July 20th 2016, 12:36 pm

One for you and one for me?

I need a wall hanger. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: New Arrival - Traditions Hawken Woodsman Percussion   July 20th 2016, 12:40 pm

You need a walker, not a wall hanger LOL.

I ordered a percussion and a flintlock.
Back to top Go down
lighthorseman

Male Number of posts : 704
Registration date : 2016-05-18

PostSubject: Re: New Arrival - Traditions Hawken Woodsman Percussion   July 20th 2016, 1:21 pm

Here's his "Walker"...guaranteed not to jump the string! Get him Muley!!!

One page of history is worth more than a book of logic
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: New Arrival - Traditions Hawken Woodsman Percussion   July 20th 2016, 2:15 pm

Ok, but you can have the meat.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Arrival - Traditions Hawken Woodsman Percussion   

Back to top Go down

New Arrival - Traditions Hawken Woodsman Percussion
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Frontier's Review Room-
Jump to: