Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Hunter style shooting

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16283
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Hunter style shooting Empty
PostSubject: Hunter style shooting   Hunter style shooting EmptyAugust 3rd 2016, 10:15 pm

With the rain coming this evening, It made it nice a cool for a bit before the sun broke out and made it crappy as usual LOL.

I wanted to do a little hunter style shooting, so I loaded up some speed loaders and took my usual hunting gears and home made shooting sticks. They are not the greatest but they do the job.

I shot 75 yards today with the Hawken Woodsman with 80gr JSG, .015" patches lubed with Anti Rust lube and home cast .490" round balls. The 2 patches I recovered looked excellent with no holes or burn through spots. I couldn't find the first one with the weeds on the shooting lane.
Hunter style shooting IMG_7563
Hunter style shooting IMG_7542
Hunter style shooting IMG_7554

I even used the MPP to see how consistent I was with this little device. So far, so good but it will show best over the chrony.
Hunter style shooting IMG_7547
Hunter style shooting IMG_7548

Later on I switched to Pyrodex P and the same stuff above. She still shot excellent! Not to picky a rifle with powder brand. Just as long as it agrees with the amount, she'll shoot.

One BAD thing about speed loaders and patched round balls is the powder sticks to the insides of the tube once you reload them again.
Hunter style shooting IMG_7561

Tomorrow I plan on pulling out my bear target and give that a try without a bulls eye to aim at.

Remember what happens on my third shot? Yep! Its the fast reloading and heating up the barrel which causes this.
Hunter style shooting IMG_7549
Hunter style shooting IMG_7550
Hunter style shooting IMG_7551
Back to top Go down
lighthorseman

lighthorseman

Male Number of posts : 702
Registration date : 2016-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Hunter style shooting   Hunter style shooting EmptyAugust 3rd 2016, 10:48 pm

Good to see you're not overloading your charges......I've seen too many guys over the years shooting far too much powder out of their TC .50 cals. crazy

......I'm not so much for pinpoint accuracy with a muzzleloader....not that it can't be achieved......but if I know I can hit the "kill zone" at 75-100 yds, I'm pretty happy. I'd say you're well within pinpoint accuracy...and the "heart and lung" area on deer, elk, antelope ...etc. :rtup

Though the majority of my gear is "mostly" period correct, I still use quick loads, short starter and a loading block....the last two debated ad nauseam among period correct purist. However, I only get to hunt over a limited time and for one animal per tag......so the added modern conveniences I use, help to keep me from loosing an animal in case the first shot doesn't do the trick. The first bear I killed was moving so quick in my direction, that even though the first shot stopped him. I was never the less really glad I had my quick loads, loading block and short starter.....now I just got to get me some of those fancy psycodelic targets..............way cool. t up

I got to start burning some powder myself! headslap

One page of history is worth more than a book of logic
Back to top Go down
Sharpsman

Sharpsman

Male Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2016-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Hunter style shooting   Hunter style shooting EmptyAugust 3rd 2016, 11:23 pm

Use just a little powdered graphite on the inside of the speed loaders and powder won't stick! You ain't old enough to know what a shoe dauber is but it's what us old timer's at one time used to polish our shoes with using a liquid polish! Got a wad a cotton on the end. Just dip it into some powder graphite, tap off the excess and then run the dauber down into the speed loader!
Back to top Go down
QuinnTheEskimo

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2016-05-21

PostSubject: Re: Hunter style shooting   Hunter style shooting EmptyAugust 4th 2016, 5:49 am

What if you sprayed the inside of the speed loaders with silicone spray?

OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 10341
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Hunter style shooting   Hunter style shooting EmptyAugust 4th 2016, 10:16 am

You remind me of Trump.

I'm addicted to black powder.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Hunter style shooting   Hunter style shooting EmptyAugust 4th 2016, 1:40 pm

The issue is the lubed patches coating the inside of the speed loaders. You have to clean them out real well if you want to reuse them again. Its not a huge deal in the field as you normally don't even need to reload those tubes unless you are a horrible shot LOL.

Its okay though, I just needed to get out a practice off the sticks and reloading from the speed loaders to make sure I have everything down.

As for loads, everything looks A-ok!
Back to top Go down
muzzlenut

Male Number of posts : 279
Registration date : 2010-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Hunter style shooting   Hunter style shooting EmptyAugust 4th 2016, 5:17 pm

Try rubbing the inside of the speed loader with dryer sheets. It will get rid of the static electricity.
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Hunter style shooting   Hunter style shooting EmptyAugust 4th 2016, 5:22 pm

That won't help the patches getting lube on the tubes.

Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3725
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Hunter style shooting   Hunter style shooting EmptyAugust 5th 2016, 9:04 am

There's absolutely no better way to prepare for a hunt than to practice afield. Wink 
If I were bear hunting with a smoke gun, you can bet I'd be practicing speed-loading that 2nd shot Exclamation
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Hunter style shooting   Hunter style shooting EmptyAugust 5th 2016, 9:49 am

@Marty wrote:
There's absolutely no better way to prepare for a hunt than to practice afield. Wink 
If I were bear hunting with a smoke gun, you can bet I'd be practicing speed-loading that 2nd shot Exclamation

Pretty hard with a crossbow with a crank cocker. I have one shot period. Much easier with a muzzleloader.

Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3725
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Hunter style shooting   Hunter style shooting EmptyAugust 5th 2016, 10:17 am

Now that's an interesting though Muley ... smoker vs. crossbow for bear.  At close range one is just as effective as the other... but neither offer a quick reload at close range.
  Dunno .   I guess if I had to choose one for close encounters it would be the smoker, but even then Hatchet Jack comes to mind Laughing
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Hunter style shooting   Hunter style shooting EmptyAugust 5th 2016, 10:22 am

Yeah, and Hatchet Jack killed the bear with his shot too.

You just never know what a bear will do after being shot. Arrows don't kill on the spot. A muzzleloader with a big conical has a chance of doing it. If I had a choice i'd take the muzzleloader, but it's not an option for me anymore.

My first choice would be a lever action CF gun. I can pump in shots pretty fast with one.

Back to top Go down
CoHiCntry
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
CoHiCntry

Male Number of posts : 325
Registration date : 2013-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Hunter style shooting   Hunter style shooting EmptyAugust 5th 2016, 12:36 pm

Muley wrote:
@Marty wrote:

Pretty hard with a crossbow with a crank cocker. I have one shot period. Much easier with a muzzleloader.

Carry a sidearm just in case... Shooter
Back to top Go down
lighthorseman

lighthorseman

PostSubject: Re: Hunter style shooting   Hunter style shooting EmptyAugust 5th 2016, 12:38 pm

Pete

don't negate the power of a well placed arrow. I have a friend, a former pastor and the president of fellowship of Christian Cowboys who is the most accomplished bow hunter I have ever personally known. He used to make an almost annual black bear hunt in Alberta. He shot a big blackie from a tree stand that ran 25yds and died. When he got down from the tree......another bear came in close and he shot the second (two bear limit)...both died within 20-30 yards of each other. Oh by the way he hunts with a long bow. My experience, is bears can be both easy or difficult to kill. I know folks who have had to shoot charging bear with high powered rifles several times and others like Grant who drops one almost immediately with a cedar shaft turkey feather fletched arrow from a long bow.....as to the question which is faster, a cross bow or a muzzleloader, with most folks I would think you could string a bolt faster than reloading a muzzleloader.......like everything, I think it depends on the individual. There was a time I could fire and reload in 10 seconds....using speed loads and loading block...doubt very seriously I could now.

Both bears I have shot...by God's grace were one shot kills and dropped where they were shot. One with a .562 rb at 25 paces and one on the run at over 350yds with .405 cast bullet from my Shiloh......both like I said by the grace of God! t up

Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Hunter style shooting   Hunter style shooting EmptyAugust 5th 2016, 12:50 pm

Doug.........You missed the part of me using a crank cocker on the xbow. It's very slow and I have to get out the crank and attach it. I could load a muzzy 5 times in the time it takes me to load the xbow. A longbow can be loaded the fastest of all of them.

btw  Did you see me shooting a long bow in 1950. Here it is again.

Hunter style shooting 20150518124112867_00012_zpsq01lvpos

Last edited by Muley on August 5th 2016, 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Hunter style shooting   Hunter style shooting EmptyAugust 5th 2016, 12:51 pm

@CoHiCntry wrote:
Muley wrote:
@Marty wrote:

Carry a sidearm just in case... Shooter

That would be nice, but I can't afford one.

Back to top Go down
lighthorseman

lighthorseman

PostSubject: Re: Hunter style shooting   Hunter style shooting EmptyAugust 5th 2016, 1:01 pm

Pete.....sorry I did miss that point. for some reason I thought the crank might be attached to the bow......my bad! and I confess I'm still pretty much ignorant when it comes to crossbows and only recently got close enough to look a Matthews, but the one I was looking at doesn't use a crank. Son James is wanting one he can hunt in his neighborhood for Whitetails getting into the garden.....hoping I can buy him one sometime soon......Great photo! Those were truly the good old days!

I carried a 3rd model dragoon .44 my first bear hunt when carrying the GRRW. Second time I was only carrying the Sharps.......which I can reload pretty fast. Not sure what I do when I hunt for them in Sept.

p.s.....you probably know this, but Ben Franklin lobbied to the Continental Congress that colonial troops should be equipped and trained in the effective use of long bows....and actually he wasn't far off. Long bows as you know can launch an arrow at an elevated 300 yds where as common musket of the day was only effective out to 75 yds. Raining down arrows on British regulars who were not equipped with armor or chainmail would have been devastating to the Brits prior to getting in musket range of the colonial troops. Deployed with cannon and  both muskets and rifleman, I think could have had great tactical advantage. But like Washington's recommendations that the whole of the army be dressed in hunting shirts, was met with rejection by a congress I believe was more interested in appearances and looking equal to European armies than the economics and availability of cheaply made long bows and linen hunting shirts! headslap

Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Hunter style shooting   Hunter style shooting EmptyAugust 5th 2016, 1:31 pm

I don't think a crank cocker comes on any xbow. It has to be bought extra and installed.

Xbows come with a rope cocker. It requires to bend over and pull up until it cocks. It's a similar move to doing a deadlift. My back could never handle that. It can't even handle pulling a vertical bow, or that's what i'd use. The xbow is my only choice because of the crank cocker. It's either use one or retire from hunting. It's hardly my first choice. Closer to my last choice.

Just like when I lost sight of my right eye. My only choice was to learn to shoot left handed. I'm pretty much down to my last choice now. If anything else happens i'm screwed.

My plan B now is to give up hunting and go fly fishing. I don't like plan B.

Back to top Go down
lighthorseman

lighthorseman

PostSubject: Re: Hunter style shooting   Hunter style shooting EmptyAugust 5th 2016, 1:45 pm

Pete.....well you're helping with my education....thanks.

You're a tough old bird...I'm sure you'll accomplish what you're "aiming" for.

Be Blessed!

Doug

Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Hunter style shooting   Hunter style shooting EmptyAugust 5th 2016, 1:48 pm

Thanky

Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Hunter style shooting   Hunter style shooting EmptyAugust 5th 2016, 1:55 pm

10 point that my brother bought came with the cranker.
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Hunter style shooting   Hunter style shooting EmptyAugust 5th 2016, 2:11 pm

@FrontierGander wrote:
10 point that my brother bought came with the cranker.

Is it a crank cocker, or a rope cocker that stores in the stock?

Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Hunter style shooting   Hunter style shooting EmptyAugust 5th 2016, 2:14 pm

crank cocker thats bolted to the stock. Acu Draw
Hunter style shooting Img_3917
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Hunter style shooting   Hunter style shooting EmptyAugust 5th 2016, 2:25 pm

Yeah, it is, but that was big bucks. 10 Point is the only one that comes with it and it's only on the top models. That cocker by itself is $239.

Back to top Go down
Jotjackson

Jotjackson

Male Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2015-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Hunter style shooting   Hunter style shooting EmptyAugust 5th 2016, 10:52 pm

I like the pic, Pete. Good form.

Hunter style shooting
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: The Shooting Range-
Jump to: