Range Box for Muzzleloaders from repurposed Wood Case

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RonC
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 899
Registration date : 2013-09-09

PostSubject: Range Box for Muzzleloaders from repurposed Wood Case   September 11th 2016, 9:35 am

I found what was a wall-mounted display case for nick-knacks. At least that was what I was told about its use. Made of plywood, it isn't authentic to the muzzleloader period, but it did supply me a foundation for modification into something useful.
Here it is after I had played around with it and made some changes. On the edge are pieces from our wood floor installation that serve to hold my sectional range rod.

Inside the left side of the box are the former top halves of wooden 3 x 5 card holders. They make great shelves and storage containers. The right half of the inside will eventually have pegs for attaching my muzzleloader pistols.

It ain't pretty, but may prove useful. Lots of small items will go in the top drawers. Hooks on the inside will hold short starters by leather thongs and, if I am shooting percussion, then they might hold cap dispensers.

Any ideas for modifications will be welcome!

Ron

Bear Claw

Male Number of posts : 9568
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Range Box for Muzzleloaders from repurposed Wood Case   September 11th 2016, 10:06 am

More organized that what I use. I just stuff everything in a bag.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."

Last edited by Muley on September 11th 2016, 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonC
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Range Box for Muzzleloaders from repurposed Wood Case   September 11th 2016, 10:43 am

Pete,
I have a leather bag I could use for the purpose, but I find myself pushing stuff around trying to find what I want. How do you organize gear in your bag?
Up to now, I use a wooden box that lets me sort cleaning gear from loading equipment and supplies. Of course I wouldn't haul this heavy box out hunting, but it might be convenient at the range. I say "might be" because I haven't tried it yet. The drawback is that it is heavy even without any gear in it. I wouldn't want to haul it a long distance from parking to a range.
Ron

Bear Claw

PostSubject: Re: Range Box for Muzzleloaders from repurposed Wood Case   September 11th 2016, 11:00 am

That's my point Ron. I'm not organized with the bag. It's not a big deal if i'm going to a range, because I unload everything I need to shoot on the shooting table. I don't do that much at all. Just sight in the gun and from that point on i'm practicing doing woods walks and shooting offhand at stumps and knotholes. I love doing that.

I figured if I can hit a knothole from different angles and distances, I can hit a kill zone. I've never gotten into the shooting small groups on paper thing.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonC
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Range Box for Muzzleloaders from repurposed Wood Case   September 11th 2016, 11:08 am

I am afraid that I am stuck on a range with all the requisite rules. At one range, you can't use anything but paper targets, except for shotguns. You can't even have a target that has the faintest look of a person. At Ft. Lupton Muzzleloaders range, there is a list with 33 rules, if I recall.
I suppose I could go to a National Forest area, but it is more convenient to go to these built ranges.

Ron

Bear Claw

PostSubject: Re: Range Box for Muzzleloaders from repurposed Wood Case   September 11th 2016, 11:13 am

Yes, NF is what i'm talking about. I have miles of it here. My method of practicing is as close as I can get to hunting.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5406
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Range Box for Muzzleloaders from repurposed Wood Case   September 11th 2016, 3:35 pm

I use a tackle box.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonC
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Range Box for Muzzleloaders from repurposed Wood Case   September 11th 2016, 8:22 pm

I've used tackle boxes and tool boxes, but I am uncomfortable carrying bight colored plastic containers.

I am looking at a nice, leather bag on my work table. If I can figure out a way to make some partitions in it, it would serve well to carry shooting supplies.

Ron

AZshooter

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2015-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Range Box for Muzzleloaders from repurposed Wood Case   October 13th 2016, 10:34 pm

I've got a bunch'a old nylon canvas insulated lunchboxes.  One for revolver, one for cap rifle, one for flint rifle and soon another for fusil/smoothbore flint.

Nuthin' worse than packing all your junk into a single  bigger box or bag to lug around, when you don't need it all at once & have to dig thru it all to find a specific item.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Range Box for Muzzleloaders from repurposed Wood Case   

Back to top Go down

Range Box for Muzzleloaders from repurposed Wood Case
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Off Topic-Free for All :: Off Topic-Free for All-
Jump to: