A Visit to “The Fort” Restaurant for Rendezvous exhibition

Go down 
AuthorMessage
RonC
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 963
Registration date : 2013-09-09

PostSubject: A Visit to “The Fort” Restaurant for Rendezvous exhibition   September 21st 2016, 8:23 pm

Each year, the restaurant, a supposed replica of Bent's Fort, has what they call the "Tesoro Cultural Center’s 1830s Rendezvous & Spanish Art Market". There are several "mountain men" and people showing and selling the expected wares such as powder horns, knives, furs, etc. There also are people selling mostly religious art of the Hispanic community. And, there are the requisite, quite elaborate TP's and a few fellows demonstrating the firing of their muzzleloader rifles.

Most of the men in fur-trader dress-up were old guys. I guess that is the way the hobbyist and re-enactors culture is nowadays. There is nothing wrong with old guys. Some of my best friends are old guys. At least one of the exhibitors had a long, white beard and probably knew Kit Carson personally.

The Rendezvous is, of course, nothing of the sort. And, the gathering is really not for the experienced and hard core mountain man or woman. But it does introduce people to the black powder/muzzleloader lifestyle. My interest began when I watched a fellow shoot his longrifle at this very event several years ago and gave me incentive to go to a Ft. Lupton Rendezvous.

I intentionally did not take photos. I just wanted to walk around, look at wares, interact and relax. I did not want to look at the world through a view finder. I am sure that there must be some photos on the "The Fort" Restaurant web site.

Ron

FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14952
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: A Visit to “The Fort” Restaurant for Rendezvous exhibition   September 21st 2016, 9:35 pm

patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5596
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: A Visit to “The Fort” Restaurant for Rendezvous exhibition   September 22nd 2016, 4:52 pm

$39 for a steak? Good thing I'm on a cardiac diet.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldMtnMan
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9834
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: A Visit to “The Fort” Restaurant for Rendezvous exhibition   September 22nd 2016, 6:15 pm

@patocazador wrote:
$39 for a steak? Good thing I'm on a cardiac diet.

Pass over your steak to me.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: A Visit to “The Fort” Restaurant for Rendezvous exhibition   September 22nd 2016, 6:26 pm

expensive but you do have to splurge now and then to live a little LOL.

OldMtnMan
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: A Visit to “The Fort” Restaurant for Rendezvous exhibition   September 22nd 2016, 6:29 pm

$39 almost pays for an elk tag. Compare the meat from that to one steak.

Pretty much why I never ever eat out. I can have steak every night for $39.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: A Visit to “The Fort” Restaurant for Rendezvous exhibition   September 22nd 2016, 6:46 pm

Yeah but that elk tag doesnt guarantee a meal. Just like our bear tags Laughing You cooking that bear tag soup tonight?

OldMtnMan
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: A Visit to “The Fort” Restaurant for Rendezvous exhibition   September 22nd 2016, 7:15 pm

Bear meat would have been for the dog anyway. I hunt bear for the entertainment.

True that an elk tag is no guarantee, but when it pays off it really pays off.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonC
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: A Visit to “The Fort” Restaurant for Rendezvous exhibition   September 23rd 2016, 8:31 am

It isn't an inexpensive restaurant!
I am fortunate enough to have some folks invite me there for a birthday dinner. How could I turn that down, at least before I had to hold to the same cardiac diet as Bob. I haven't eliminated all meat, but limit myself to one red meat meal a week. The rest is fish, chicken and port. Add the low salt restrictions, and you have cardboard, cardboard, and cardboard. Crying or Very sad 
Ron

OldMtnMan
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: A Visit to “The Fort” Restaurant for Rendezvous exhibition   September 23rd 2016, 8:54 am

I guess i'm lucky in that department. I lifted weights most of my early life and ate a very high protein diet. I ate 2lbs of meat and 2 dozen eggs a day for decades. I still eat meat every day. My cholesterol has always been way below average.

Wish I could say the same thing for my damn bones. Although my mom had Osteoporosis too, so I probably inherited and would have got it no matter what I did. I always drank a lot of milk and lot's of cottage cheese. Plus, with supplements I was getting enough calcium.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5596
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: A Visit to “The Fort” Restaurant for Rendezvous exhibition   September 23rd 2016, 10:12 am

@RonC wrote:
It isn't an inexpensive restaurant!
I am fortunate enough to have some folks invite me there for a birthday dinner. How could I turn that down, at least before I had to hold to the same cardiac diet as Bob. I haven't eliminated all meat, but limit myself to one red meat meal a week. The rest is fish, chicken and port. Add the low salt restrictions, and you have cardboard, cardboard, and cardboard. Crying or Very sad 
Ron

How did you get to drink wine (port)? My cardiologist told me that alcohol could trigger A-fib again. Wink

I cheat a bit and put hot sauce on the cardboard. Hot sauce can make almost anything edible .. except beets.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldMtnMan
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: A Visit to “The Fort” Restaurant for Rendezvous exhibition   September 23rd 2016, 10:27 am

You guys should take up knitting and give up hunting.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
lighthorseman

Male Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2016-05-18

PostSubject: Re: A Visit to “The Fort” Restaurant for Rendezvous exhibition   September 23rd 2016, 11:46 am

Last time and many years ago, I had a steak at "The Fort", sadly I got hold of one that had been "aged" a bit too long and it is the only time I ever got food poisoning from a restaurant........I'm sure that was a one off and wouldn't cause me to not go back.......biggest problem is that it is over a 1,000 miles from my front door now! Laughing 

One time I dropped into "Bent's Fort" and was met by "Alex" Alred (chief of rangers) who said "Lt Bennett, I have a fine antelope liver, onions and fried eggs in the pan here if you'd like breakfast" my response "why yes maim I'd be please to have breakfast".........and I have to say of the two meals, and not being a big fan of liver, the one of the tastiest meals I ever had a fur trade establishment!

I'm of the new science which suggest that "red meat" and fat is not the issue but rather ingesting too many carbs, which is the main culprit to access weight and stress which causes inflammation in the arteries causing cholesterol build up....but then there is no "Doctor" in front of my name or "Cardiologist" in my title.....although my wife often refers to me as "the doctor of love".....which apparently has something to do with the heart!
                                                               lol!

One page of history is worth more than a book of logic
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonC
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: A Visit to “The Fort” Restaurant for Rendezvous exhibition   September 23rd 2016, 12:37 pm

For decades I ate a high protein, low simple carbs diet. Originally, the physician insisted that I have a low fat diet. What happened to my cholesterol and triglycerides? They went up. Then, on a low carb diet, my cholesterol dropped about 60 points and my triglycerides went from 330 to 130!

Oh, and a little gremlin alien sneaked in when I wasn't looking and changed pork to port. Cool
Ron

lighthorseman

Male Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2016-05-18

PostSubject: Re: A Visit to “The Fort” Restaurant for Rendezvous exhibition   September 23rd 2016, 1:06 pm

Since my wife isn't a big fan of "pork" but is a wine drinker......she's like that gremlin to show up on those nights I cook chops! Laughing

One page of history is worth more than a book of logic
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Visit to “The Fort” Restaurant for Rendezvous exhibition   

Back to top Go down

A Visit to “The Fort” Restaurant for Rendezvous exhibition
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Off Topic-Free for All :: Off Topic-Free for All-
Jump to: