Share | 

new adventure

Go down 
AuthorMessage
MissouriKid

Male Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2015-11-16

PostSubject: new adventure    September 28th 2016, 8:27 pm

I started a new adventure today. I decided to open up a blackpowder shop here in Missouri, I'll only deal with blackpowder firearms no centerfire there's enough shops around to cater to them.

"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass."- Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral- genius behind the attack on Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, Commander of the Combined Fleet in WWII- December 7, 1941
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://jmsskyls.wix.com/theolefrontiershop
Fishmagnet

Male Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2015-08-23

PostSubject: Re: new adventure    September 28th 2016, 9:02 pm

Good luck. Hope your adventure is a great success !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Number of posts : 3700
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: new adventure    September 28th 2016, 9:33 pm

Good luck to ya. Once you get it going I sure you'll get a few shoppers from the forum here. Let us know when your up and running with powder, ball, primers, patches and everything else we need.

Ray..............

KEEPEM IN THE " 10 " RING   

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigAl52
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 490
Registration date : 2016-02-03

PostSubject: Re: new adventure    September 28th 2016, 9:45 pm

I wish you luck and like Ray said let us know when you have supplys for sale. Al

TC Hawken 58 cal Green Mtn drop in barrel
TC Renegade 58 cal
GRRW 50 cal
GRRW 58 cal
Lyman GPR 54 cal flintlock L&R lock davis deerslayer trigger
Lyman Trade Rifle 54 cal
CVA Hawken 58 cal by Jonathan
Hawken Squirrel Rifle 40 cal by John Bergman
Pedersoli Penn Rifle 50 cal flintlock
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MissouriKid

PostSubject: Re: new adventure    September 29th 2016, 5:33 am

I will for now I'm trying to get all the paperwork accomplished.

"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass."- Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral- genius behind the attack on Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, Commander of the Combined Fleet in WWII- December 7, 1941
Back to top Go down
Smokin' Joe
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1920
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: new adventure    September 29th 2016, 6:33 am

It's great to hear about someone following their dreams.  Best of luck on your new adventure!

Semper Fi……..

Pennsylvania Fowler Flintlock .62 Cal (46" Oct to round barrel)
Investarm Hawken .58 cal. Flintlock
Investarm Hawken .54 cal. Percussion
CVA Accura MR nitride .50 cal. - 2-8x32 Nikon Monarch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Turdbird

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2016-05-20

PostSubject: Re: new adventure    September 29th 2016, 8:41 am

Good luck, wish you were closer I'd try to be your first customer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MissouriKid

PostSubject: Re: new adventure    September 29th 2016, 8:43 am

@Turdbird wrote:
where are you actually located at here in Missouri?

Back to top Go down
mark1945

Male Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2015-08-20

PostSubject: Re: new adventure    September 29th 2016, 8:50 am

Hope you do good. I lived in Hartshorn  several years ago and there were quite a few of us blackpowder  shooters around the area. Hope they are still there . When I lived there closest place to buy black was in Springfield over 100 miles one way .

Cabelas 58 cal Hawken             Colt Navy 36 cal                     Pietta 1863 Remington pocket rev 31 cal
Pedersoli Kodiak 58 cal             CVA 58 Cal. Mountain Rifle      Classic Arms Co 44 Cal New Orleans Ace
CVA 45 Cal Derringer               TC Renegade 54cal                 Navy Arms Co. Pietta 12 gauge double
Pedersoli 12 gauge double        Traditions Crockett 32 cal        2 Traditions Mountain Rifles 50 cal
Pietta 1851 Conf Navy 44
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MissouriKid

PostSubject: Re: new adventure    September 29th 2016, 8:58 am

@mark1945 wrote:
Hope you do good. I lived in Hartshorn  several years ago and there were quite a few of us blackpowder  shooters around the area. Hope they are still there . When I lived there closest place to buy black was in Springfield over 100 miles one way .
I know that place you blink and miss it. Yeah the only good place is still in Springfield or St.Louis or Columbia which is hard to believe when there's hunters here that can use a shop like mine.

Back to top Go down
Turdbird

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2016-05-20

PostSubject: Re: new adventure    September 29th 2016, 9:19 am

@MissouriKid wrote:
@Turdbird wrote:
where are you actually located at here in Missouri?

Holden area
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonC
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 961
Registration date : 2013-09-09

PostSubject: Re: new adventure    September 29th 2016, 9:37 am

That is exciting. I wish you the best on your enterprise.
Please let us know when you have a website and become accessible to folks outside of your local area.

I rode my motorcycle through Holden on one of my cross-country trips.
Ron

MissouriKid

PostSubject: Re: new adventure    October 21st 2016, 10:09 am

Well I'm sorry to say that I won't be doing powder yet as I have to have the ATF Explosive License but I can sell everything else including the firearms.

Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1809
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: new adventure    November 21st 2016, 7:19 am

@MissouriKid wrote:
I started a new adventure today. I decided to open up a blackpowder shop here in Missouri, I'll only deal with blackpowder firearms no centerfire there's enough shops around to cater to them.

You may want to reconsider what you handle "Kid", there's a lot of guys out there with modern firearms that don't want to get into muzzle-loaders. Mainly because of more inventory or just bull-headed or what ever the reason.....

1). I had a black powder/mountain man shop near Estes Park CO for years. Found out real fast that I could take in used modern firearms for the shops black powder items, making money on the trade. 

2). Then traded them off to modern shops that weren't interested in muzzle-loaders. We made a small profit again with those trades (double dipping per say). 

3). If a local shop (modern guns) would take a used muzzle-loader in trade and not sure what it was worth they would call us, we would tell them approximately what the the gun was worth to us in trade. 

4). Once the modern shop/shops had several muzzle-loaders we would gather the modern guns we traded for and meet after work with the modern shop/shops with muzzle-loaders and do some swapping (we both made a few bucks $$$ and built a nice working relationship between shops).

This worked very nicely with the modern shops and us working together, we both helped the customer get what they wanted and we moved a bunch of firearms in the area. You may want to reconsider on what you trade for.

MissouriKid

PostSubject: Re: new adventure    November 21st 2016, 7:40 am

conner wrote:
@MissouriKid wrote:

You may want to reconsider what you handle "Kid", there's a lot of guys out there with modern firearms that don't want to get into muzzle-loaders. Mainly because of more inventory or just bull-headed or what ever the reason.....

1). I had a black powder/mountain man shop near Estes Park CO for years. Found out real fast that I could take in used modern firearms for the shops black powder items, making money on the trade. 

2). Then traded them off to modern shops that weren't interested in muzzle-loaders. We made a small profit again with those trades (double dipping per say). 

3). If a local shop (modern guns) would take a used muzzle-loader in trade and not sure what it was worth they would call us, we would tell them approximately what the the gun was worth to us in trade. 

4). Once the modern shop/shops had several muzzle-loaders we would gather the modern guns we traded for and meet after work with the modern shop/shops with muzzle-loaders and do some swapping (we both made a few bucks $$$ and built a nice working relationship between shops).

This worked very nicely with the modern shops and us working together, we both helped the customer get what they wanted and we moved a bunch of firearms in the area. You may want to reconsider on what you trade for.

I tried with all three LGS and I was ran out of two the third wasn't interested they actually tried to pay me to not open which I refused of course they don't like me anyway as I'm a bit more blunt and honest than they are. The two didn't want to hear what I had to say at all they didn't want any trades or to refer even though they don't see or work on them because their too much trouble. I'd also have to have the FFL from BATF to be able to mess with the center-fire which I don't want its bad enough that I have to have them for the powder, which I'm following the BATF Agent Instructions on that to wait for it until I get going really well.

Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: new adventure    November 21st 2016, 7:42 am

@MissouriKid wrote:
@mark1945 wrote:
I know that place you blink and miss it. Yeah the only good place is still in Springfield or St.Louis or Columbia which is hard to believe when there's hunters here that can use a shop like mine.

One of the problems with the Feds and your insurance company is meeting their requirements on handling black powder - is the storage. Here in many of the western states you can only have 5 lbs. on site and the cases have to be stored in a building away from other buildings. The storage building has to meet their specs. Find someone with open ground that will allow you to place a shed (powder magazine) on their property or has a small building that you can use. Try to find something close to you that is secure and still easy for you to get to for restocking your powder. This is why many modern shops don't want to hassle with the product (storage). Remember even starting out small you'll have to buy at least one case (24) cans of each grade - 1F, 2FF, 3FFF, 4FFFF try and split a case of (14 cans of 1F and 10 cans of 4FFFF, these will be your slowest movers.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me. Over fifty years dealing/playing with black powder and associated wares we have bought some really neat items for the shop (found sometimes we were the only ones that liked that items, that's par...).  Life moves on.....

MissouriKid

PostSubject: Re: new adventure    November 21st 2016, 7:58 am

The BATF Agents all said to wait as I have to pay for the license, fingerprints and my photo to be taken which the prints and photo has to be taken by the sheriff department and sent to them then they'll come in and inspect the magazine which I can have in the shop just locked up tighter than Ft. Knox and pay them for the license. Right now me and the sheriff-elect is at odds with each other so I'm not his favorite person to see at the moment, so I doubt he'll even approve the prints and photo to be sent to the Feds for the license as he's wanting every male over 21 to serve as Reserve Deputies for 4 years as part of community service, which I disagree with.

Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: new adventure    November 21st 2016, 8:07 am

@MissouriKid wrote:
The BATF Agents all said to wait as I have to pay for the license, fingerprints and my photo to be taken which the prints and photo has to be taken by the sheriff department and sent to them then they'll come in and inspect the magazine which I can have in the shop just locked up tighter than Ft. Knox and pay them for the license. Right now me and the sheriff-elect is at odds with each other so I'm not his favorite person to see at the moment, so I doubt he'll even approve the prints and photo to be sent to the Feds for the license as he's wanting every male over 21 to serve as Reserve Deputies for 4 years as part of community service, which I disagree with.

When his term is up vote him out, he sounds like a Nazi....

MissouriKid

PostSubject: Re: new adventure    November 21st 2016, 8:11 am

He's a crook got caught overcutting on Forestry land and he still hasn't gone to trial. He also doesn't like his deputies to do lift assists or traffic accidents that's state's job.

Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: new adventure    November 21st 2016, 2:18 pm

@MissouriKid wrote:
He's a crook got caught overcutting on Forestry land and he still hasn't gone to trial. He also doesn't like his deputies to do lift assists or traffic accidents that's state's job.

I'd go to a public place and use a public email address and start a blog about this guy, give him all the crap possible. I'd makeup flyers and post them on poles around the area (just don't caught with the cameras on light poles and public places), leave them in public places like dinners, groc. stores, etc.

We had a jerk like this in our county in CO. We did as suggested, next election he was gone. Funny thing was he got a description of who they thought was leaving the flyers (turns out a friend had the same model and color Dodge truck as his brother-in-law). Shit hit the fan, sheriff ended up getting divorced (she took everything) plus his ex. brother-in-law kicked his butt. A win win all the way around. Old friends that remember this still talk about one idea that really work.  Smile  Very Happy  Razz

MissouriKid

PostSubject: Re: new adventure    November 21st 2016, 2:42 pm

I'm going to wait awhile to see if the commission puts him in his place when it comes to that.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: new adventure    

Back to top Go down

new adventure
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Off Topic-Free for All :: Off Topic-Free for All-
Jump to: