Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

MUZZLELOADING FORUM

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Ads

Share | 

Trust a Blackhorn 209 year old load ?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
stillhunter

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2014-09-05

PostSubject: Trust a Blackhorn 209 year old load ?   October 3rd 2016, 7:58 pm

So now the CVA MR nitride has been charged for a year w Blackhorn 209/100 grn. by volume  measure, The bore was clean and dry when loaded and a Barnes TEZ 250 resting on it. The gun was carried on 3 hunts last year at temps around 60/75 degrees. It has been stored in a gun cabinet in a closet,  w/o a primer of course. The breech plug is still finger tight or can be loosened w fingers. Should I drop the charge/tez and reload it or would it be ok to hunt w the year old charge? My shots (if any) will likely be less than 75 yrds where I'll be hunting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15450
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Trust a Blackhorn 209 year old load ?   October 3rd 2016, 8:06 pm

Take a shot at 100 yards and report back to us! I'd like to know where it hits.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
patocazador

Number of posts : 5862
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Trust a Blackhorn 209 year old load ?   October 4th 2016, 7:32 pm

If you wrote in to ask, that means that you don't feel comfortable with a year-old load. Do like Jon says and shoot it.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MattRaymond

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Trust a Blackhorn 209 year old load ?   October 5th 2016, 6:42 am

If you were to unload it, would you be reloading it with the same batch of powder from last season? What I mean is, are you gonna use FRESH powder from a new can or just different powder from the same can? I would like to think that there would be no difference if the load was kept dry.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 10158
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Trust a Blackhorn 209 year old load ?   October 5th 2016, 6:52 am

A load in the bore is much more exposed than the powder in a sealed bottle.

I see no reason in leaving the load in the bore that long. Western certainly doesn't recommend it.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
stillhunter

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2014-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Trust a Blackhorn 209 year old load ?   October 5th 2016, 7:21 pm

I hunted yesterday w no luck. I just dropped the charge. The face of the breech plug was spotless w a dozen or so pieces of 209 stuck to it. The flame channel was open, turning the gun up a scant amount of 209 fell out on a paper plate. I tapped the barrel w my fist and a little more fell out. I took a wooden skewer and poked up into the breech and the rest of the load fell out. I pushed the spitfire out and broke the skewer in half making a makeshift brush to clean the 209 stuck to the grease on the threads in the barrel, it worked great. The bore looked spotless and bright throughout, a patch produced a scant amount of residue I assume is breakfree and/or grease. The 209 was loose w no clumps or stuck together pieces after falling out onto the plate. I would assume the gun would have fired just fine, I also assume the nitride barrel and breechplug helped to prevent any corrosion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 10158
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Trust a Blackhorn 209 year old load ?   October 6th 2016, 6:40 am

If you don't want to get the powder in the threads in the barrel. Push the load out the muzzle. Remove breech plug and just push on the powder. The whole thing will push out.

Dropping the load out the breech is better done when pellets are used.

Also, if you didn't know. When you use BH 209 you don't have to use grease on the breech plug threads. Clean off all the grease and leave it bone dry. The breech plug won't stick. Even after shooting 50 shots.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trust a Blackhorn 209 year old load ?   

Back to top Go down

Trust a Blackhorn 209 year old load ?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Powder Room-
Jump to: