Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Ads

Share | 

Black MZ. Used For The First Time Today.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Landngroove

Male Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2013-12-05

PostSubject: Black MZ. Used For The First Time Today.   October 17th 2016, 2:18 pm

Today I tried for the first time Black MZ in a CVA Wolf. I weighed my charges, at 90 grains. (Around 100 grains volume). I used T/C Mag Express sabots with Hornady XTP 240 grain bullets. Shooting at 50 yards, as that is the maximum I have, I was very pleased with the results. I did heavily compress the loads. After making tweaks to the scope, I was grouping well with some shots touching each other. I did not experience fouling, and crud ring like with some other powders. Cleanup was easy also. I also used for the first time metric O rings under the primer that I got from McMaster. No blowback. All in all a good shooting session.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
strong eagle

Number of posts : 580
Registration date : 2016-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Black MZ. Used For The First Time Today.   October 17th 2016, 6:06 pm

thanks for telling us about your day. it is a good feeling when thing come together in a good way. keep shooting. strong eagle
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Black MZ. Used For The First Time Today.   October 19th 2016, 7:54 pm

With that powder, you may want to consider a hot primer like CCI Mag or Federal 209A as the weather-temps drop in the next month or two.

Which primer do you currently use? If it's a mid-strength like Winchester 209s, you may be fine this late season...... depends!
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15375
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Black MZ. Used For The First Time Today.   October 19th 2016, 8:08 pm

No need for a hot primer with black mz, it sets off nicely with just a #11 cap.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Landngroove

Male Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2013-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Black MZ. Used For The First Time Today.   October 20th 2016, 3:13 pm

using regular CCI 209 shotgun primers with O rings. So far they work great with no blowback.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Black MZ. Used For The First Time Today.   October 23rd 2016, 8:39 am

When the much colder weather hits, the hotter primers are generally more effective in humid climates..... like where I'm at, surrounded by the Great Lakes.

Chuckhawks.com had a nice article on the Black MZ powder and gave it a thumbs-up. More feedback on field/hunting use this season is needed.
Back to top Go down
yellowlab

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2016-12-21

PostSubject: Re: Black MZ. Used For The First Time Today.   December 22nd 2016, 4:58 pm

sportsmans warehouse opened a new store here and had black mz for 9.99 a can. I couldn't resist, figured I'd try it out. I used it in my .54 in-line, .50 in-line, two .50 sidelocks with no hangfires or issues, all #11 caps. I also tried it in my .54 flint, first with a 10 grain 3f goex booster,then without, No hang or misfires." I was surprised".It was a 60 deg. sunny day. didn't try for accuracy but seemed to be close to pyrodex rs or goex 3f. I tried to flash it in the pan of my flint [no go] as to be expected. Im not ready to hunt with it yet but considering how hard real bp can be to get, Ill keep playing. Results may be different on a cold wet day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
falcon

Male Number of posts : 1430
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Black MZ. Used For The First Time Today.   December 22nd 2016, 7:20 pm

Quote :
No need for a hot primer with black mz, it sets off nicely with just a #11 cap.

Exactly!!!

i've been using Black MZ since it came out and now use it almost exclusively.  Black MZ ignites very easily even in cold weather.   My conventional guns use #11 caps as do my TC Black Diamond and Fire Hawk.   i've never had a misfire related a primer.  

Black MZ likes a tight fitting sabot seated hard on the powder.  For round ball i use a tight fitting patch.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Black MZ. Used For The First Time Today.   

Back to top Go down

Black MZ. Used For The First Time Today.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: