Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Black MZ. Used For The First Time Today.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Landngroove

Landngroove

Male Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2013-12-05

Black MZ.  Used For The First Time Today. Empty
PostSubject: Black MZ. Used For The First Time Today.   Black MZ.  Used For The First Time Today. EmptyOctober 17th 2016, 2:18 pm

Today I tried for the first time Black MZ in a CVA Wolf. I weighed my charges, at 90 grains. (Around 100 grains volume). I used T/C Mag Express sabots with Hornady XTP 240 grain bullets. Shooting at 50 yards, as that is the maximum I have, I was very pleased with the results. I did heavily compress the loads. After making tweaks to the scope, I was grouping well with some shots touching each other. I did not experience fouling, and crud ring like with some other powders. Cleanup was easy also. I also used for the first time metric O rings under the primer that I got from McMaster. No blowback. All in all a good shooting session.
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

PostSubject: Re: Black MZ. Used For The First Time Today.   Black MZ.  Used For The First Time Today. EmptyOctober 19th 2016, 7:54 pm

With that powder, you may want to consider a hot primer like CCI Mag or Federal 209A as the weather-temps drop in the next month or two.

Which primer do you currently use? If it's a mid-strength like Winchester 209s, you may be fine this late season...... depends!
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16272
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Black MZ. Used For The First Time Today.   Black MZ.  Used For The First Time Today. EmptyOctober 19th 2016, 8:08 pm

No need for a hot primer with black mz, it sets off nicely with just a #11 cap.
Back to top Go down
Landngroove

Landngroove

Male Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2013-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Black MZ. Used For The First Time Today.   Black MZ.  Used For The First Time Today. EmptyOctober 20th 2016, 3:13 pm

using regular CCI 209 shotgun primers with O rings. So far they work great with no blowback.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black MZ. Used For The First Time Today.   Black MZ.  Used For The First Time Today. EmptyOctober 23rd 2016, 8:39 am

When the much colder weather hits, the hotter primers are generally more effective in humid climates..... like where I'm at, surrounded by the Great Lakes.

Chuckhawks.com had a nice article on the Black MZ powder and gave it a thumbs-up. More feedback on field/hunting use this season is needed.
Back to top Go down
yellowlab

Male Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2016-12-21

PostSubject: Re: Black MZ. Used For The First Time Today.   Black MZ.  Used For The First Time Today. EmptyDecember 22nd 2016, 4:58 pm

sportsmans warehouse opened a new store here and had black mz for 9.99 a can. I couldn't resist, figured I'd try it out. I used it in my .54 in-line, .50 in-line, two .50 sidelocks with no hangfires or issues, all #11 caps. I also tried it in my .54 flint, first with a 10 grain 3f goex booster,then without, No hang or misfires." I was surprised".It was a 60 deg. sunny day. didn't try for accuracy but seemed to be close to pyrodex rs or goex 3f. I tried to flash it in the pan of my flint [no go] as to be expected. Im not ready to hunt with it yet but considering how hard real bp can be to get, Ill keep playing. Results may be different on a cold wet day.
Back to top Go down
falcon

falcon

Male Number of posts : 1552
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Black MZ. Used For The First Time Today.   Black MZ.  Used For The First Time Today. EmptyDecember 22nd 2016, 7:20 pm

Quote :
No need for a hot primer with black mz, it sets off nicely with just a #11 cap.

Exactly!!!

i've been using Black MZ since it came out and now use it almost exclusively.  Black MZ ignites very easily even in cold weather.   My conventional guns use #11 caps as do my TC Black Diamond and Fire Hawk.   i've never had a misfire related a primer.  

Black MZ likes a tight fitting sabot seated hard on the powder.  For round ball i use a tight fitting patch.
Back to top Go down

Black MZ. Used For The First Time Today.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: