Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Nosler Sporting Handgun Bullets?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
QuinnTheEskimo

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2016-05-21

Nosler Sporting Handgun Bullets? Empty
PostSubject: Nosler Sporting Handgun Bullets?   Nosler Sporting Handgun Bullets? EmptyNovember 4th 2016, 6:20 pm

I've been thinking about trying the Nosler Sporting handgun bullets in my .50 inline guns.  I was wondering if any of you had tried them and what sort of results did you get.  They sell blemished bullets pretty regularly so I think they'd be fairly economical.  I've been shooting 250 grain T/C Shockwaves.  Thanks in advance, Quinn.

PostSubject: Re: Nosler Sporting Handgun Bullets?   Nosler Sporting Handgun Bullets? EmptyNovember 4th 2016, 7:13 pm

An inexpensive bullet (purchased in 100pks) with a nice track record are the 240, 250, 300gr XTPs.

The former Nosler Partitions handgun bullets had a nice track record. I haven't heard of anyone posting deer-harvest results using the Nosler Handgun bullets you mention.

Last edited by GoexBlackhorn on November 4th 2016, 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
QuinnTheEskimo

PostSubject: Re: Nosler Sporting Handgun Bullets?   Nosler Sporting Handgun Bullets? EmptyNovember 4th 2016, 7:15 pm

I was hoping they might be an all around bullet.  Reasonable enough for the range and a decent deer bullet.  If not, I'll just stick with the T/C's.

PostSubject: Re: Nosler Sporting Handgun Bullets?   Nosler Sporting Handgun Bullets? EmptyNovember 4th 2016, 7:20 pm

I recall reading some positive comments on the 300g/44-cal at another muzzleloader board or two.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/620916/nosler-sporting-handgun-bullets-44-caliber-429-diameter-300-grain-jacketed-hollow-point-box-of-100

The reviews at Midway are overall pretty good. But for about the same price, you can get the 300gr / 44-cal XTPs. It's what I use in my T/C Omega.
Back to top Go down
QuinnTheEskimo

PostSubject: Re: Nosler Sporting Handgun Bullets?   Nosler Sporting Handgun Bullets? EmptyNovember 4th 2016, 7:33 pm

They are similar in price to the XTP's, but much cheaper when they show up as blems at SPS.  I use Nosler blems in all my centerfire rifles and stock up when they are available.  I just thought I might be able to do the same with muzzleloader bullets if anyone had experience with them.  I'm not looking to be a field tester here.

Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3723
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Nosler Sporting Handgun Bullets?   Nosler Sporting Handgun Bullets? EmptyNovember 6th 2016, 8:04 am

QuinnTheEskimo, I put this particular NOSLER bullet to the ultimate test awhile back.  If you go with this NOSLER I would go heavier for hunting than the 200 grainer I used.  I also kept my charge down at 90 grains.

https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com/t2134-200-gr-nosler-jhp?highlight=nosler

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com/t6371-7-pointer-drops?highlight=7+pointer
Back to top Go down
QuinnTheEskimo

PostSubject: Re: Nosler Sporting Handgun Bullets?   Nosler Sporting Handgun Bullets? EmptyNovember 6th 2016, 8:13 am

Thank you Marty!  I was thinking about trying the .44 240 grain bullets.  Any thoughts on that or suggestions for a sabot to try? They would be pretty reasonable at $20.95/100.

Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

PostSubject: Re: Nosler Sporting Handgun Bullets?   Nosler Sporting Handgun Bullets? EmptyNovember 6th 2016, 8:21 am

I don't have any experience with the .44/240 grainers.   All of my testing was done from a .45 bore. Perhaps some of our .50 members might help you out on the sabot.
Back to top Go down
QuinnTheEskimo

PostSubject: Re: Nosler Sporting Handgun Bullets?   Nosler Sporting Handgun Bullets? EmptyNovember 6th 2016, 8:36 am

@Marty wrote:
I don't have any experience with the .44/240 grainers.   All of my testing was done from a .45 bore. Perhaps some of our .50 members might help you out on the sabot.
So you were shooting .40's?  I've got a .45 Black Diamond, so maybe I'll give those a go.

Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

PostSubject: Re: Nosler Sporting Handgun Bullets?   Nosler Sporting Handgun Bullets? EmptyNovember 6th 2016, 8:47 am

Yep, I use .40 bullets almost exclusively out of my .45's.  You'll just need to hit the range Shooter  with the 240's and see how they fly in a .50 bore.
Back to top Go down

Nosler Sporting Handgun Bullets?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: