HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

a tip about sabots and cast bullets.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
strong eagle

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2016-10-11

PostSubject: a tip about sabots and cast bullets.    November 19th 2016, 4:23 pm

i have a custom 50 cal side lock i built with a 1/23 twist barrel. i also have a inline 50 with a 1/28 twist. i cast some 450 grain for the 1/23 twist and some 325 grain for the 1/28 twist. both are 45/70 bullets and .458 diam. i also had a bunch of mmp sabots for the 50 cal/s that hold a .458 bullet. what i found is they went down the bore way way too hard and were unuseable that way. i went to lee sight on line and ordered a reducing die for 30 some dollars in .454. i then push both thos bullets through that .454 reducing die and then tried them in the orange mmp sabots and now they go down the barrel with ease but not sloppy at all. perfect for fast loading but will ingrave properly every time. problem sloved, a .454 reduceing die. if you have this problem, dont give up, just get a cheap reducing die for lee. the one for .451 cast bullets that go down too hard would be about .448 or .447. also if you have a cast bullet that is too loose or to small in diam by a few thousands for your sabots. just roll them between two large clean flat files and then they will fit your sabots. hope this tip helps someone load and shoot with ease. strong eagle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Huntsman

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-01-17

PostSubject: Re: a tip about sabots and cast bullets.    May 11th 2017, 12:34 am

Strong Eagle,
What do you find best for cast and sabot? Pure lead or COWW or say a Lyman #2 alloy?

I casted Lee 250gr & 300gr .452 boolits for my TC Encore using COWW and then tried some pure lead. The 300gr grouped horrible. The pure grouped better but would get the odd flyer. I have a 405gr 45/70 Lee mould I'd like to try too using the MMP .458 sabots.

Have you had success with cast boolit/sabot combos on deer or anything?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
strong eagle

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2016-10-11

PostSubject: Re: a tip about sabots and cast bullets.    June 10th 2017, 4:29 pm

if it is a 1/28 twist use a 400 grain bullet in you mmp sabot. it was made for that twist. use anywheres from 70 to 100 grains behind the sabot. it should drive tacks and drop anything in north america. have fun strong eagle.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: a tip about sabots and cast bullets.    

Back to top Go down

a tip about sabots and cast bullets.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: