Share | 

lost skills

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jimbowie1

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2016-11-21

PostSubject: lost skills   November 23rd 2016, 11:50 am

With the exception of our hobby/ lifestyle/ mt men/long hunters/ free trappers.Seems to this ol hoss, that tecnology has replaced traditional hunting skills. GPS/ WIND METERS / laser sights and range finders rifle scopes that adjust point of aim after feeding info from a smart phone via sattlite. Might as well have a heat seeking projectile. I know im an old skinner, but i would not trade my primitive type hunting for all the tec taken game in the world. HECK i dont even own a cell phone. READING sign/ the wind/ tracking/ knowingwhat your ability level is and what your rifle is only as good as you are.getting in range for a killing shot, for me 50 to 60 yards is my comfort level 50 cal prb.Not many young folks replacing us old timers as we pass on. This is NOT a rant against any tec hunters just saying that i dont think you can call tec hunting fair chase. Well i said my piece, think i will take the old lab up to the pasture for a walk.
jimbowie1 & raven the wonder dog.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Number of posts : 3701
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: lost skills   November 23rd 2016, 3:20 pm

Everyone is entitled to their opinion jimbowie1. I enjoy both worlds of this sport of ML'ing. I love my .58 cal hawken and my in lines more so now that my eyes are failing me. Those scopes are still keeping me in the game. Without them I might be lost to the sport.

welcome to the forum

Ray

KEEPEM IN THE " 10 " RING   

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14688
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: lost skills   November 23rd 2016, 4:16 pm

Lack of skills or willingness to learn IMO is a big problem. A GPS however is a great thing to have these days, especially when the Ntl Forest mixes in small parcels of private land. There's plenty of good things for hunters these days to use, but skill, is not offered in a box.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
jimbowie1

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2016-11-21

PostSubject: Re: lost skills   November 23rd 2016, 5:55 pm

@hawgslayer wrote:
Everyone is entitled to their opinion jimbowie1. I enjoy both worlds of this sport of ML'ing. I love my .58 cal hawken and my in lines more so now that my eyes are failing me. Those scopes are still keeping me in the game. Without them I might be lost to the sport.

welcome to the forum

Ray
You are right RAY about staying in the game. I buy a hunting licence with an elk and deer muzzle loader tag  every year for over 40 years, to support our game dept. I carry my CVA mt rifle that i bought new in 1977. But i havent shot anything in several years I could have many times but im happy to just wear my skins and carry my rifle in the most beautiful time of year. If i knew how to post pic,s on here i would post some pics of my rifles and my primitive camp up on my 40 acres. My horses and my dogs [my family] are buried up there and my ashes will be spread up there with them. Sorry i guess i got off subject a little.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14688
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: lost skills   November 23rd 2016, 7:49 pm

I'd love to see the pictures! Go to www.photobucket.com and you can upload pics from your computer onto photobucket and then copy the [IMG] code photobucket provides and post the codes here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 3339
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: lost skills   November 24th 2016, 8:23 am

Welcome jimbowie1 ...     

Yep…technology over recent decades has certainly created shortcuts for hunters.   As aging years pass I’ve adopted technology as a need rather than a want.  Personal satisfaction in a hunt is how you design it and requires a compilation of skills.   For me it’s hard to beat scoring on the 11th hour of the deer season…but I won’t be out there throwing my wooden arrows at them. Laughing

Lots of traditional folks here. Enjoy the forum!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sharpsman

Male Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2016-02-13

PostSubject: Re: lost skills   November 29th 2016, 10:46 am

DON'T use photobucket! Those dummies change that site more often than I 'whizz'!!

Use Flickr!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lighthorseman

Male Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2016-05-18

PostSubject: Re: lost skills   November 29th 2016, 12:58 pm

Most of the time, I suppose I go primitive, but it depends on the situation....for instance, if I'm with our students, flint and steel is the only thing allowed. If I am hunting alone and on my own, then I take modern fire starting stuff.........been stuck out at night a couple of times and being able to start a fire is paramount and my bride would be real vexed with me if I died of exposure. If I take a pack animal, even with a primitive camp, I'm going to bring a jump bag full of emergency medical...i.e. epee-pen, etc, just in case. I have yet in any case taken a GPS, but not opposed to their use at all....but again in the case of a primitive trek or scout, I'm going to take a topo map and modern compass...but make the students learn to use a period compass.

So when alone, I'm more inclined to go period......where as with others, their safety is more paramount.......the Rockies are not to be trifled with. 2c

One page of history is worth more than a book of logic
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: lost skills   

Back to top Go down

lost skills
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Off Topic-Free for All :: Off Topic-Free for All-
Jump to: