Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Blown Scope ?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Clyde

Number of posts : 393
Registration date : 2011-11-27

Blown Scope ? Empty
PostSubject: Blown Scope ?   Blown Scope ? EmptyNovember 27th 2016, 11:11 am

Folks I was at the range today with my Traditions Deerhunter topped with a 3x9 scope Black  MZ powder at 90 gr and 260 Gr PT golds  the only thing I was changing was from 209 ignition to No 11 caps.

First two fouling shots were dead on at 50 yds.  Went out to 100 first shot 4 inches low.  Dialed in 8 clicks up group came up 2 inches centered horizontally 3 shots at 2 inches.  Dialed up 3 clicks group now 1-1.5 inches below POA and centered group about 2 inches .   Moved sights up 2 inches and the fun starts rounds are now 3-4 inches high checked my bases and rings checked myself.  Dialed down 3 clicks first shot down about  3 inches to the previous group next 2 shots one straight up again 3 inches high one high and right about 3 inches ( could have been a 12-17 mph gust).  This last group is what I got for the next 15 rounds.  In the end if you looked at my target I have an almost straight vertical line.  I had a few to the right which I can explain with the gusting winds.  

As the load was a proven load  and we were sailing along till I put that last elevation adjustment I am wondering if this 12 yr scope is shot.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16313
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Blown Scope ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blown Scope ?   Blown Scope ? EmptyNovember 27th 2016, 11:59 am

Could very well be the scope from the stringing effect you saw happening. Did you keep the bore clean during the sight in?
Back to top Go down
Clyde

Number of posts : 393
Registration date : 2011-11-27

Blown Scope ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blown Scope ?   Blown Scope ? EmptyNovember 27th 2016, 12:33 pm

Yes swabbed between every shot compressed the powder .  I just looked again at my target I put a maximum of 19 clicks or 4 in.5 inches but I moved the group about 12 inches from the top of the deer shoulder to its back absolutely straight the last time I had something like this I replaced the scope on my Traditions Lightening
Back to top Go down
jeager106

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2017-07-17

Blown Scope ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blown Scope ?   Blown Scope ? EmptySeptember 22nd 2017, 11:02 pm

Did I miss what brand scope sight? It matters.
Back to top Go down

Blown Scope ?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Optics-
Jump to: