Share | 

CVA Accura V2 T-Hole

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Old Smoke

Male Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2016-01-28

PostSubject: CVA Accura V2 T-Hole   December 19th 2016, 6:57 pm

Well, been talking about and looking for about 9-months.  Santa dropped it off Friday!

So I followed one of Jon's stickey's about cleaning up a new MR.  Scope mounted.  Ready to shoot in.  

Now I'm looking at the firing pin bushing and wondering about the shim kit.  Took it out, cleaned it, lubed it and put it back in.  Well, seems to me with the bushing screwed in about snug it's just above flush.  Did I just get lucky or has CVA figured out how to thread things correctly?

Also, I've got some of the little o-rings from McMaster-Carr to be here in a few days.  Not sure I even need 'em we'll see.

Texas muzzle loader starts in 2-weeks. Plenty time to get things taken care of at the range.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokin' Joe
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1750
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: CVA Accura V2 T-Hole   December 20th 2016, 8:11 am

Congrats Old Smoke!!  I wouldn't use the shims until "after" you see what your Accura is doing.  Keep us posted on your thoughts about it after you get it sighted in.

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14521
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: CVA Accura V2 T-Hole   December 20th 2016, 10:16 am

Good luck!

You'll know within a few shots if you need any headspace adjustments just from the black soot around the inside of the frame by the firing pin bushing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Old Smoke

PostSubject: Re: CVA Accura V2 T-Hole   December 20th 2016, 4:05 pm

Thanks, gents!  I'll check for that soot after a few shots. 

May Saturday before I can get out.  Trying crushed rib sabots with 265 gr FTX bullets.  Those bullets are Hornady's 444Marlin bullet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14521
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: CVA Accura V2 T-Hole   December 20th 2016, 4:13 pm

Just a heads up but if at any time you can't open the action after shooting, pull the trigger back and HOLD it back and with your thumb, push the hammer forward. CVA for some reason made the screw driver slot huge and the primers like to get stuck in the firing pin bushing after a shot and become stuck, preventing the action from opening.

Just wanted to make sure you had that info in case!

Last edited by FrontierGander on December 20th 2016, 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Old Smoke

PostSubject: Re: CVA Accura V2 T-Hole   December 20th 2016, 4:18 pm

News I can use!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Smoke

PostSubject: Re: CVA Accura V2 T-Hole   December 26th 2016, 8:10 am

Shooting 77 gr-weight (I weighed each charge) of BH209, CCI-Mag primers, the 300 gr XTP, and green crushed rib sabot.  I'm getting nice little 3/4" groups at 50-yards.  Nice!

I cleaned the plug at shot 6 and had a miss-fire at shot 16.  Powder lit off, but the chrono only showed 800 fps.  "Good" shots were registering 1810 fps avg.  I cleaned the plug again and had no problems after that. Guess I'll be cleaning that plug every 6 shots.  Easy. 

Next step is to lower the POI, as it was 4" high at 50 yards.  According to the Hornady ballistics calculator that's zeroed at about 165 yards!  I'll dial it down and shoot again later this week. 

Sweet gun, but it does kick with 77 gr-w/110 gr-v.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokin' Joe
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: CVA Accura V2 T-Hole   December 26th 2016, 8:57 am

Good shooting Old Smoke!  77 gr-w kicks like a mule at least for my old shoulder.  So I use a "Lead sled".  20 shots ....no problem!  Laughing
I find interesting your comment about cleaning every 6 shots.  I don't think I've ever cleaned a breech plug with that few.  You might find that miss-fire you had, a happening and not trend.

Good report.

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Smoke

PostSubject: Re: CVA Accura V2 T-Hole   December 27th 2016, 8:21 pm

I thought to only clean out the flash channel and hole about every 6.  I usually shoot 3-shot groups and that level of "cleaning" only takes a second.  Just my thoughts for now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Smoke

PostSubject: Re: CVA Accura V2 T-Hole   December 31st 2016, 8:19 am

Shot 24 shots yesterday at the range.  Cleaned the flash channel and hole every 6 shots.  No problems of any kind with igition.  

Using only the green crushed rib sabots, I switched to the 265 gr Hornady #4305 bullet.  It is an FTX "flex tip" designed for the 444 Marlin.  Shot very good with 77 gr-w of BH209!   My 50 yard group was 7/8".  I'm a terrible rifle shot and that is a very good group for me.  I would love to have set up my chrono, but there were lots of folks at the range, making it nearly impossible to set up and adjust.  So I have no data on fps, but on-line data indicates about 1925 fps for this load.  

I'll post target pics when I get a second cup of coffee.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sabinajiles

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2016-12-22

PostSubject: Re: CVA Accura V2 T-Hole   January 2nd 2017, 9:05 am

Old Smoke wrote:
Shot 24 shots yesterday at the range.  Cleaned the flash channel and hole every 6 shots.  No problems of any kind with igition.  

Using only the green crushed rib sabots, I switched to the 265 gr Hornady #4305 bullet.  It is an FTX "flex tip" designed for the 444 Marlin.  Shot very good with 77 gr-w of BH209!   My 50 yard group was 7/8".  I'm a terrible rifle shot and that is a very good group for me.  I would love to have set up my chrono, but there were lots of folks at the range, making it nearly impossible to set up and adjust.  So I have no data on fps, but on-line data indicates about 1925 fps for this load.  

I'll post target pics when I get a second cup of coffee.
This is one of the most accurate loads I have every shot out of my Accura V2, MR and Optima V2, except I use the smooth, green Harvester sabots. The crush rib sabots are just a bit to loose in my CVA bores. At 100 yds, I can shoot 1 jagged hole from the bench with this load on a good day. I have also used 84 gn(weighed) of BH209 without any loss of accuracy. 

I took a large, mature whitetail doe with this load during the season. It was a 92 yd, slightly quartering a way shot which entered on the 3rd from last rib and exited just behind the shoulder on her other side. She dropped in her tracks and when i gutted her, the lungs were basically liquefied. It's a terrific hunting load, IMO. FYI, the .458 325 gn FTX in an orange MMP sabot is just as accurate. It should be a hammer on larger game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Smoke

PostSubject: Re: CVA Accura V2 T-Hole   January 2nd 2017, 9:33 am

sabinajiles=>  Good to know!  That 84 gr-w of BH must be stout.  77 gr-w gets my attention.

I didn't have time with my recent purchase to work up loads on both sabots and multiple bullets.  Just happened to have started with the crushed ribs.  That'll have to wait a few weeks.  I'll hunt with what I've got (starting today).  Our ML season is only 2-weeks long, so I'll only get out 2 or 3 times.  Actually don't need the extra meat, so kind of hoping one of the big snarly stinking bore hog tries to sneak through!

UPDATE:  No hogs.  No deer.  I have'nt seen a deer last 4 outings.   confused
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Smoke

PostSubject: Re: CVA Accura V2 T-Hole   February 19th 2017, 5:02 pm

I've now been able to spend some "quality time" at the range these last two days.  As with Sabinajiles experience:  Using the Harvester Smooth Green Sabot is much better in my Accura V2.   

With the crushed rib sabots, I would get a flyer every 3 or 4 shots that was 2" off at 50 yards.  With the smooth sabots, no such occurance.  Why?  Why ask why?  Just shoot what works.

Note that on my best day shooting a laser I could never get a jagged hole with 3 shots.  So anything approaching 1" at 100 yds is awesome for me!!  Yes, I am that bad. My best load gave me a total of three consistent 1/2" groups of 3-shots each at 50 yards:
- 77 gr-weight of BH209 (~110 gr-vol)
- Hornady #4305 bullet (.430 and 265gr Flex Tip)
- CCI 209 Magnum primer
- Harvester Green Smooth Sabot
- Chronographed 3-shot groups at 1820 fps.

If I get to feeling masochisitic, I'll try 84 gr-weight and see what happens.  But my should is sore and it'll be another day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokin' Joe
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: CVA Accura V2 T-Hole   February 20th 2017, 7:09 am

With all the variables with muzzle loading, 1" groups at 100 yards is "awesome" shooting! Your findings with the Harvester Smooth Green Sabot vs Crushed Rib Sabot is interesting.  I'm going to try some myself.  Did they load the same or were they a little harder to push down the pipe?

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Smoke

PostSubject: Re: CVA Accura V2 T-Hole   February 20th 2017, 10:55 am

Maybe a little bit harder.  But not enough that I thought it worth using the Crushed Rib instead of the Smooth just for that reason.

I'm trash talking the Crushed Rib.  In some rifles it may shoot better than the smooth sabot. But not in mine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CVA Accura V2 T-Hole   

Back to top Go down

CVA Accura V2 T-Hole
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: